EXPRESSION PEDALS

You could also customize a cable instead of the pedal

I have a Dunlop Volume[X] which i use as an expression pedal.
To get it functional with the GT/22 I opened it up and changed the setting on the little blue switch. It works fine now.

However my Mission SP-1 may need a re-solder on the output jack to change the polarity. It's pretty much useless the way it is wired now.

Anyone have a walkthrough on how to get the expression pedals to work with the Axe III? I set up the pedals on the mastermind, assigned the CC's for pedal 1-Wah, pedal 2-vol/pan, then went into the axe III settings, midi, then tried pedal 1,2, no joy. Next tried assigning them by the CC numbers for Wah and Vol/Pan. Still nothing. Is there a setting i'm missing?

And....there was. Answered my own question. I should read the Axefx instructions better. The expression pedals have to be set on 11 and 12 for External 1 and 2 in the Mastermind, then in the Axefx you need to go to midi settings and select External 1 and 2. In the Wah block, edit the control and put External 1. For the volume, go to Midi, then tab over to select the Other tab, and go to Output 1 Volume and select 12 for the cc for pedal 2. This gives you a global volume pedal that works on all Output 1's on all the sounds. Thanks Cris! You're welcome Cris!

Has anyone tried using the Mission SP1-RJM toe switch with the GT and the Axe III? I've plugged a TRS cable into out 2 of the mission to one of the switch inputs on the GT. I'm doing something wrong because the light on the mission is constantly on and when I try to switch it off nothing happens and it remains lit.

I've tried to assign an IA to external switch 1 on the GT so it toggles wah 2 on the axe but as mentioned the light on the mission remains lit.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks guys

Paul

In the settings for the switch in MMGT editor you have a LED light color for on and off, turn the off to color black. That worked for me?

In the settings for the switch in MMGT editor you have a LED light color for on and off, turn the off to color black. That worked for me?

Good point. As of firmware 4.0, the external switches pay attention to the color setting (sort of). Black means LED off, any other color means LED on.

I have a Mission SP1-RJM pedal. I'm using it to control the global volume for OUT 1 on an Axe Fx III. For some reason when I have it plugged into the 1st expression pedal jack it doesn't work quite right. When I push the pedal forward it sounds like it's increasing the volume(sort of), but the repsonse of the AMP blocks seems to get week. For example, using a 5150 amp with reasonably high gain it sounds great until I turn up the volume then the Amp just sounds week. It may not be just the Amp block. The whole thing just sounds nasty. It works great on the other expression jacks. As far as I can tell the only thing different between using jack 1 and jack 2 is the CC number. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? Is the jack bad? Do I have some freaky setting that could be causing this?

I have a Mission SP1-RJM pedal. I'm using it to control the global volume for OUT 1 on an Axe Fx III. For some reason when I have it plugged into the 1st expression pedal jack it doesn't work quite right. When I push the pedal forward it sounds like it's increasing the volume(sort of), but the repsonse of the AMP blocks seems to get week. For example, using a 5150 amp with reasonably high gain it sounds great until I turn up the volume then the Amp just sounds week. It may not be just the Amp block. The whole thing just sounds nasty. It works great on the other expression jacks. As far as I can tell the only thing different between using jack 1 and jack 2 is the CC number. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? Is the jack bad? Do I have some freaky setting that could be causing this?

A different CC number is likely to have a different effect, depending on the configuration of the Axe-Fx. If you use jack 2's CC number in jack 1 does it work ok?

Well, I have tried using CC 7 and CC 11 and they both did the same thing. I have not tried using CC 12 which is what expression jack 2 is succesfully using. I will try that this evening when I get home from work.

I tried using CC12 and it worked. So, there must be something on the Axe Fx III that is weird with CC 7 and 11.

I'm sure I'm diving off into warranty hell here, but can I swap the wires on the MMGT?

I'm sure I'm diving off into warranty hell here, but can I swap the wires on the MMGT?

You would have to cut and reroute two traces on the circuit board. Not too hard to do if you know what you're doing, but requires some caution. Definitely would cease to have a warranty, at least on that part of the circuit.

didnt think that MMGT cares what way your expression are

It does matter, actually. There are two ways to wire expression pedals, the wrong way will work (kind of), but all of the parameter change will happen at one end of the pedal's travel.

My standard Mission of FAS pedals are reverse (tip/ring) from what the MMGT expects to see, so they will work but the effective travel is compressed putting all of the wah effect into a small part of the travel. I can change the sweep of the block in the III, use a reversed cable, rewire the pedal but that puts me in a strange spot when I use the III without the MMGT.

@rjmmusic I fairly suck at detail soldering so I am going to leave it alone. I'll likely buy a couple of reversed cables and just store them in the MMGT case. Thanks for the input!

Follow up to my pedal dilemma. I finally decided to dispense with all the craziness and just buy a pedal that can match the RJM polarity standard. I ordered a Mission Aero EP-25-Pro from Boothe Brothers in Utah, which has switchable polarity for its two outputs. I left out 1 at normal for the occasional direct connection to the Axe Fx III, and set out 2 to reverse for the MMGT. Works perfectly on both.

Right tool for the job!

Update two... damn, had issues with wahs coming on untriggered again! I had to literally take the wah out of every preset to finish the night. Going to dive back in tomorrow and see what I can find. Pretty baffling at the moment.

Last edited:
Back