Mastermind GT 16 Midi question

JPF

Hi,

here is my issue.

My Fractal Axe FX 2 XL + is on Midi channel 5 controlled by my mastermind GT16 with a 7pin midi cable and the phantom power box.

I want to send Midi messages from a external device to control the fractal.
So I connect the MIDI OUT from my external device to the REMOTE IN from the mastermind GT to send the Midi messages on channel 5 to control the Fractal.

I've fiddled around with the MIDI settings on the mastermind GT but can't seem to find the right approach.
I know Mastermind is set on Channel 1. If I turn it to channel 5 of course the mastermind goes nuts.
So what should I do ?

I tried the MERGE OPTION but it goes nuts (flashing and changing settings randomly)

What would be the best approach to send my midi messages (Program changes, scene changes and some looper RECORD/PLAY messages) ?

Or should I use only Midi message to control the mastermind GT instead of trying to control the Axe FX directly ?
if that's the case what would be the midi message to send to the Mastermind GT so it can control the presets, scenes and looper function ? I'm a bit confused with the midi implementation chart in the user manual.

Your help would be, once again, highly appreciated. I'm stuck and can't seem to find the solution.
(note : when I'm sending my Midi Message via USB directly on the Fractal everything works perfectly so it's just a matter of turning the REMOTE IN into Merger or just a pass through ? )

>>>Update<<<

I've put the Mastermind GT on Channel 7 and could find the Program Change command to change the presets. It's working. But I can't find the right CC message to control SCENE changes, Looper function and individual effects ON/OFF etc. The chart n the user manual doesn't really explain it to me (or at least I don't get it ;) )

Last edited:
There isn't a general purpose way to control every button on the GT via MIDI. Normally, I recommend turning on MIDI Merge in the GT, which should allow the computer to control the Axe-Fx directly, by sending through the GT. You say that there were problems with that - did you have MIDI Receive Channel set to None when MIDI Merge was on? (you can have it on if you really need it to ve, but you have to be very careful with MIDI channels).

There isn't a general purpose way to control every button on the GT via MIDI. Normally, I recommend turning on MIDI Merge in the GT, which should allow the computer to control the Axe-Fx directly, by sending through the GT. You say that there were problems with that - did you have MIDI Receive Channel set to None when MIDI Merge was on? (you can have it on if you really need it to ve, but you have to be very careful with MIDI channels).

When I put MIDI MERGE on, the Axe FX and Mastermind GT is bouncing back and forth and flashing between two presets.
I've tried with the MIDI RECEIVE CHANNEL

on NONE : nothing happens
on CHANNEL 5 (same as the Axe FX) : it flashes between 2 presets
on CHANNEL 7 (to control it separately) : it always flashes if the incoming message from the different channels are send)

My signal goes like this :

A laptop >>> MIDI splitter to

1. voice live Ch6
2. Mastermind GT to Axe fx Ch5
3. Pod HD Ch16
4. SPDS Ch 15
5. X32 Ch3

seems like the merge is getting the device to act crazy but it's exactly what I'm looking for.
Passing through my MIDI signal that goes through the Mastermind directly to the Fractal.

Another option is to put the mastermind on a separate channel like CHANNEL 7 and control the fractal through the mastermind.
I found the way to send the accurate program change to change the presets BUT I would also need a way to send the right CC message to go for scene selection and looper function etc

I've read in the manual that I could use on each button the CC LINK but I can't find a way to make it work.
If the mastermind is on another channel, how can I send the right CC to the fractal on his particular channel.

The easiest would be just having my midi data passing through but maybe there is a parameter to turn off ?

for now in the Midi Settings of the mastermind GT I Have :

Midi Rx Ch: 7
bank=Song : off
Midi Bidirectional : ON
Remote : off
Midi Forward : off
Midi Merge : off
Midi Clock : off
Start/stop : off
Clk > Remote : off

is there a way you can help me out ?

Let's focus on this:

Are you sure about this? With MIDI receive channel set to None and MIDI Merge turned on, the computer should be able to control the Axe-Fx when sending messages on channel 5. If it's not doing that, then something's not quite right.

Let's focus on this:

Are you sure about this? With MIDI receive channel set to None and MIDI Merge turned on, the computer should be able to control the Axe-Fx when sending messages on channel 5. If it's not doing that, then something's not quite right.

Ok got some time to work on this.
here is what I figured out

Mastermind GT and Fractal are now talking to each other perfectly and controlled by the laptop.
I had to remove the midi cable that was connect from the MIDI THRU on fractal to a merger.
I think it created a Midi loop so that's why it went crazy.
Everything works as it should.

Ok got some time to work on this.
here is what I figured out

Mastermind GT and Fractal are now talking to each other perfectly and controlled by the laptop.
I had to remove the midi cable that was connect from the MIDI THRU on fractal to a merger.
I think it created a Midi loop so that's why it went crazy.
Everything works as it should.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. I'm glad to hear it's working now!

Back