Voodoo Lab GCX CC Issue

Toopy14

All of a sudden, sending GCX CC commands with a preset to activate loops stopped working. The relay just clicks on then off again. It was working. I don't think it's an issue with the GCX because I can still control each loop from a dedicated IA page on the LT.

It all started when I added a third song with new presets. When I press song up to the third song and then press button 1, it would go back to song 1. That's when the GCX started acting up as well.

I've tried everything I can think of, deleting presets, re-creating them, deleting CC's, re-creating them...nothing.

Any ideas?

Your third song doesn't have any presets it in, that's probably part of the problem. If you did have presets in song 3 at some point and the problem still happened, my first guess is to try turning on "Ignore Incoming PCs" on the Devices tab for the Axe-Fx II, you could be getting some interference from the Axe-Fx, and that will prevent it.

Your third song doesn't have any presets it in, that's probably part of the problem. If you did have presets in song 3 at some point and the problem still happened, my first guess is to try turning on "Ignore Incoming PCs" on the Devices tab for the Axe-Fx II, you could be getting some interference from the Axe-Fx, and that will prevent it.

I removed song 3 from the setlist and the GCX loop light just flashes. Then I turned on the "Ignore Incoming PC's" for the Ae-Fx, no change, same issue. I was creating presets by copying from existing presets and making changes, is it possible there's a bug in the copy function or the presets somehow became corrupted?

Also, as a point of clarification, I changed button 5 to a preset button, so I could access the 5th scene, within the each preset, is there something I need to change globally for that? So will the LT now bank up 5 songs at a time, versus 4? Do I need to include 5 presets for each song, kind of like a place-holder or can I uses only 2 presets for one song, lets say, then 3 presets for another, 5 for another, etc.?

All of a sudden, sending GCX CC commands with a preset to activate loops stopped working. The relay just clicks on then off again. It was working. I don't think it's an issue with the GCX because I can still control each loop from a dedicated IA page on the LT.

Okay, I think I figured out where the conflict is coming from, but don't know why or how to fix it. When I add an IA page (page 3), so I can control all 8 loops in the GCX, the conflict occurs. When I removed the CC for the IA switch controlling the loop in question, the preset can activate the loop with a CC message. When the CC message is tied to an IA switch on page 3 and I go back to the song page, when I hit button 1 to set the song up, the loop on the GCX goes on, then off.

Ah, I see. You have preset actions telling the GCX to turn the loop on, and an IA button that's telling the GCX to turn the loop off. IA buttons that have "Send on Preset Change" will send their messages every time you change presets, not just when you press the IA button.

I don't recommend using preset actions except in a few specific circumstances. You can do it, but it's typically easier to use IA buttons and program them to turn on and off for each preset. This is faster than adding 8 actions to every preset.

But, it's your choice. If you want to continue using preset actions, edit your IA buttons that control the GCX loops and turn off Send on Preset Change on all of them. That will fix the conflict.

If you want to try the other method, then remove the preset actions from each preset and use the Presets tab to select which IA buttons should turn on for each preset.

We did a webinar on IA buttons a little while ago, it might be helpful to explain some of the settings. It's for the Mastermind GT but the LT is basically the same:
RJM Music Webinar - Mastermind IA buttons

...it's typically easier to use IA buttons and program them to turn on and off for each preset. This is faster than adding 8 actions to every preset.

I wondered if that was possible, but didn't get around to looking into it trying to troubleshoot my, self-inflicted, issues! :) I figured you had to be able to do it, no different than tying scene buttons to the presets.

How do you set it up to remember the state of the GCX loops or will doing it how you suggested take care of that? Also, if an IA is a hold button, how do you tie the hold state to the preset?

Did you see my other question;

"Also, as a point of clarification, I changed button 5 to a preset button, so I could access the 5th scene, within the each preset, is there something I need to change globally for that? So will the LT now bank up 5 songs at a time, versus 4? Do I need to include 5 presets for each song, kind of like a place-holder or can I uses only 2 presets for one song, lets say, then 3 presets for another, 5 for another, etc.?"

I'm back to adding the 3rd song but when I hit preset 1 one of the first song, it goes back to the second song.

Thanks

Last edited:
It's already set up to remember the state of the loops, you just need to use the Presets tab to select which buttons are on for each preset. Or, you can select a preset on the LT, switch to the IA page, turn on the desired loops, then hold the Function button for 3 seconds to store them to the current preset.

The LT sets the size of the bank based on the number of preset buttons you have defined. You don't need to have 5 presets per song.

I'm not sure what would cause the symptoms you described, can you send me another file? The file you sent me had no presets in song #3, so it wouldn't work at all.

It's already set up to remember the state of the loops, you just need to use the Presets tab to select which buttons are on for each preset. Or, you can select a preset on the LT, switch to the IA page, turn on the desired loops, then hold the Function button for 3 seconds to store them to the current preset.

The LT sets the size of the bank based on the number of preset buttons you have defined. You don't need to have 5 presets per song.

I'm not sure what would cause the symptoms you described, can you send me another file? The file you sent me had no presets in song #3, so it wouldn't work at all.

Okay, got the IA's working as you suggested. Works great! Only issue left, I hope, is the one I just mentioned. Here's the file.

Attachments

• Song 3 goes to 2.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
It doesn't have a problem with preset 3 when I try it here... my best guess is still the Axe-Fx. Does the problem still happen when the Axe-Fx is disconnected, or when Ignore Incoming PC is turned on?

To answer your other question I missed, hold Shift while clicking in the Presets tab to alter the on/off state of a button's hold function.

It doesn't have a problem with preset 3 when I try it here... my best guess is still the Axe-Fx. Does the problem still happen when the Axe-Fx is disconnected, or when Ignore Incoming PC is turned on?

Strange. I will try those suggestions.

To answer your other question I missed, hold Shift while clicking in the Presets tab to alter the on/off state of a button's hold function.

Maybe I didn’t ask the question clearly. Instead of using preset actions, to activate the GCX loops, you recommended linking the IA button to the preset, which I did and it works great. If the IA button has two states, press and hold, is there a way to link the hold state, ie, the second name of the IA button?

When editing the hold function, just make sure Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned on. When those are on, you can save the hold function's state to each preset and it will automatically be recalled.

When editing the hold function, just make sure Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned on. When those are on, you can save the hold function's state to each preset and it will automatically be recalled.

I will give it a try shortly. Thanks.

The LT is a remarkable piece of technology. It takes some time to get your head around it, but once you do, you realize the power and flexibility of having software programmable buttons.

I tried first with the Axe-Fx off and the problem went away. I then connected the Axe-Fx and set 'Ignore Incoming PC' to on and that seems to have solved the problem. Out of curiosity, any thoughts on why that was happening?

...hold Shift while clicking in the Presets tab to alter the on/off state of a button's hold function.

The shift key did the trick! Pretty cool, you can link the press, hold or both states to the preset!! Much easier than using 'Preset Actions!'

Thanks very much for your time and patience answering all my questions.

I tried first with the Axe-Fx off and the problem went away. I then connected the Axe-Fx and set 'Ignore Incoming PC' to on and that seems to have solved the problem. Out of curiosity, any thoughts on why that was happening?

Do you have PC mapping turned on in the Axe-Fx? Basically, for some reason, the Axe-Fx is telling the LT that it should be on preset 0, and the LT is changing based on that. PC mapping is usually the way that PC/preset numbers get screwed up.

Do you have PC mapping turned on in the Axe-Fx? Basically, for some reason, the Axe-Fx is telling the LT that it should be on preset 0, and the LT is changing based on that. PC mapping is usually the way that PC/preset numbers get screwed up.

I don’t think so, but I will double-check.

EDIT:

I checked and this is the setting;

Axe-Fx -> MIDI -> Mapping Mode = None

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not sure why it's happening, but leaving Ignore Incoming PC should prevent it from ever happening.

Ok, I'm not sure why it's happening, but leaving Ignore Incoming PC should prevent it from ever happening.

I've added a few more songs and so far, no more issues.

Quick question tough, is there an easy way to swap pages? For example, my page 2 is scenes and page 3 is effects but I would like to swap them around. I was positive I read somewhere you can, but I looked through the manual quickly and couldn't find it.

Back