Looking for Axe-Fx III Specific Wish List

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

I'm sorry that I haven't been as responsive to the wish list & bug list. The amount of projects and tasks I have to juggle right now is quite overwhelming. I know there has been a lot of discussion on various Axe-Fx III compatibility fixes and changes. I'm trying to find time to start a new GT firmware release in the near future. To help me out, please post your requests in this thread, even if you've posted it elsewhere. This will help me by not having to search for all the requests, and will also be a good way to prioritize - if you care enough about the feature/fix to post it again, then it must be important! I will still look through the wish list here and do what I can, but things listed here will have priority, at least with respect to Axe-Fx III related features.

As always, I can't guarantee that I can answer all requests, but if they're technically feasible and not an inordinate amount of work, then chances are good that I will be able to get them done.

If I had one wish:

• I'd like a function that I can assign to a switch that, with a single press, refreshes just the one preset I'm currently on in the GT/22. This would allow me to itterate on a preset's scenes, scene names and the preset name and not have to endure a multi-button, menu dive to update my GT/22 to reflect the changed state on the Axe-Fx III.

And if I have more than one wish:

• When doing a Get Preset Name operation over a range of presets, I'd like the Dest Preset to automatically update to match the Start Preset. The number of times I've changed Start Preset and forgotten to change Dest Preset is...too damn high! :D

• I'd like a way to bulk erase a number of presets on the GT/22 from the MMGTEditor in Preset view. Right now you can only reset/wipe/erase one preset at a time. I'd like to be able to cmd-select, shift-select discontinuous ranges and delete-button wipe them back to an empty, default state. See my wish immediately above this one for why I'd want to be able to do this. :|

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I'll be back with more!

If I had one wish:

• I'd like a function that I can assign to a switch that, with a single press, refreshes just the one preset I'm currently on in the GT/22. This would allow me to itterate on a preset's scenes, scene names and the preset name and not have to endure a multi-button, menu dive to update my GT/22 to reflect the changed state on the Axe-Fx III.

Do you mean update the buttons based on the current state of the Axe-Fx, like Poll State does, but only do it once? Or am I misunderstanding?

Do you mean update the buttons based on the current state of the Axe-Fx, like Poll State does, but only do it once? Or am I misunderstanding?
No. I mean Get Preset Name but for a single preset, the current preset. Basically poll the Axe-Fx III for preset name, scene names and update the preset I'm on in the GT/22 with that data.

Often I'm editing a preset, with the GT/22 powered up, and I'll change the name of the preset, scenes or order of the scenes. Now if I want those changes reflected in the GT/22 it's complicated. I have to save the preset on the Axe-Fx III. Then I bring up my Utilities page on the GT/22. Press the "Get Preset Names" button. Adjust the Start Preset and End Preset values. Adjust the Dest Preset value. Make sure Get Scenes in On and Create song is Off. Press Start. Confirm the action. Wait.

It's too much to update the data for just one changed preset. Especially when it's the active preset on the III and the GT/22.

Just give me one button that I can press that'll poll the III for the preset name, scene names and orders for the currently active III preset and dump that in to the currently active preset on the GT/22.

Hi Ron, I love that you are always making such an effort to keep us happy, thank you for doing this!

No. I mean Get Preset Name but for a single preset, the current preset. Basically poll the Axe-Fx III for preset name, scene names and update the preset I'm on in the GT/22 with that data.

Often I'm editing a preset, with the GT/22 powered up, and I'll change the name of the preset, scenes or order of the scenes. Now if I want those changes reflected in the GT/22 it's complicated. I have to save the preset on the Axe-Fx III. Then I bring up my Utilities page on the GT/22. Press the "Get Preset Names" button. Adjust the Start Preset and End Preset values. Adjust the Dest Preset value. Make sure Get Scenes in On and Create song is Off. Press Start. Confirm the action. Wait.

It's too much to update the data for just one changed preset. Especially when it's the active preset on the III and the GT/22.

Just give me one button that I can press that'll poll the III for the preset name, scene names and orders for the currently active III preset and dump that in to the currently active preset on the GT/22.

This is definitely a big one for me too, I am changing presets/scenes on a daily basis as I tend to play very different sets regularly. Even then, songs change during practice and it gets very confusing very fast as I don't always have the time to run a full GetPresetNames routine. My current presets are in the first 20 presets, and I have a library of presets in the last bank of the AxeFX so it is hard to update those constantly.

Having an IA that can trigger this for the current preset would be so helpful! I have some other ideas but am not able to list them right now, however this one is the biggest for me please.

Bug:
When stopping the Get Preset Names procedure before it completes, the GT returns to its menu. But in the background it still sends Next Preset commands, because the Axe-Fx III keeps switchingpresets.

Editor:
t's a drag to have to manually enter each Song title. It would be much handier if (optionally) the editor could just copy over the title of the first preset in the song.

Would love to see the ability for scenes to toggle back to a previous scene
Example - If I'm using scene 3, press the scene 5 switch, would love to press the scene 5 switch again to revert back to scene 3

Thanks for the consideration

Cheers

I have a couple of basic do-it-all presets for various guitars.
I always use one preset per song.
The 8 scenes in the AxeFx are to limited to cope with all the possible variations for every song.
It would be useful to be able to
- define any number of scenes in the GT for that song (at least for all the buttons on the local page)
- Set the tempo for that song
- Send specific midi commands, macros or sysex
So it would be good if you could define per AxeFx-preset which blocks are used and what their name the different channels
Then for each song, you could define for each button what they would do within the AxeFx-preset that is used for that song.
The MIDI output would be like an XOR.
The state set by the previous button would be reset and the blocks set to the state as defined by the current button.
Example:
- First button is for a lead with Drive, delay and a volume boost
- Second button uses only a Chorus
When pushing the second button, the Drive and Delay would turn off and the volume would be reset to the normal volume and the Chorus would turn on.

It may already be possible to do this but if so, I haven't found the way to do it.
And the tempo and messages per song isn't possible yet.

Seems like you want to run the GT as master and the Axe-Fx as slave. Your “scenes” would be GT presets, which can be combined into a song. This is possible now already. And GT presets let you set the tempo.

No.
As I stated, I only use one preset per song. So I'm not going to make multiple presets per song because I'll run out ouf presets very quickly.
Also, the tempo in a song is mostly set so using multiple presets per song with each having the ability to set the tempo is superfluous.
It would be better IMHO to be able to set the tempo per song, not per preset.
And also send messages specific for that so,ng.
Now for the one preset per song:
I want buttons only to turn things on and change channels and so and leave blocks that are unaffected by that button off.
Read this again:
Example:
- First button is for a lead with Drive, delay and a volume boost
- Second button uses only a Chorus
When pushing the second button, the Drive and Delay would turn off and the volume would be reset to the normal volume and the Chorus would turn on.

I don't need an extra preset for each of those actions.
This should be possible with a button.

Bug:

Show Tempo on the Global page (editor) does not work.

This would be sooo useful! I have to check my tempo digits by walking to the back of the stage to my Axe-FX at the start of some songs and it would be so much better if the tempo would show on the GT!

An option for the preset name and/or current scene name to scroll continuously would be nice if that is possible. Something that can be configurable of course, as some users would not want this I'm sure.

This would be sooo useful! I have to check my tempo digits by walking to the back of the stage to my Axe-FX at the start of some songs and it would be so much better if the tempo would show on the GT!

well, this is already possible. You can make a button flash in time with the tempo. What’s not working is the tempo display on the main display.

well, this is already possible. You can make a button flash in time with the tempo. What’s not working is the tempo display on the main display.

I have the flashing button working already, I meant (and thought you also meant) to show the numeric tempo value in BPM - isn’t that what Show Tempo is supposed to do? I don’t have the manual at hand so I might be getting it wrong.

We play most songs to a click with IEMs, sometimes when a song starts you get a 4 count lead in and have to be on that first bar with rest of the band - so I don’t always have time to tap, and usually use my main preset for several songs. In these cases I have to check my BPM is correctly set to xxxBPM.

Apologies if I misunderstood you.

Bug:

Show Tempo on the Global page (editor) does not work.

Looking at this issue specifically, I can get it to work here, and I don't think I did anything that would have fixed it. Are you actually specifying tempos on the GT with MIDI clock enabled, or are you relying on tempos set on the Axe-Fx? (it'll work on the former, but not the latter case)

Also, Show Tempo only shows the tempo for a few seconds, when it changes. Is this the issue?

Looking at this issue specifically, I can get it to work here, and I don't think I did anything that would have fixed it. Are you actually specifying tempos on the GT with MIDI clock enabled, or are you relying on tempos set on the Axe-Fx? (it'll work on the former, but not the latter case)

Hi Ron, I tried this last night and was not able to get it to work. What I did was set the MIDI clock on my GT22 to Master/Slave/Auto, Neither of these got the tempo to show when I tapped it in. So I experimented with all the other MIDI clock options (e.g. remote mode etc) but keeping in mind I am not a strong MIDI user I probably have this wrong. The screenshot below shows my setup - if it is user fault then just say and I will post a separate thread to this one.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 10.30.55.png

User incompetencies aside, would it be possible as a wish to be able to display the current Axe-FX preset tempo in a dedicated window in one of the IAs? I would have like to use the main window however I am already showing Preset Name and Scene Name in there.

Back