New USB not working in GT16

Pagzy

Hi everyone

I have just upgraded from an LT to a GT16 and absolutely loving it!

The USB drive supplied with it works fine to save settings but I'd prefer a smaller profile drive and bought a Sandisk 32GB Ultrafit on sale for $9.50. I have tried converting it to MBR using Diskpart from the command prompt in Windows 10 and formatting FAT32, but when I try it in the GT16 it doesn't seem to recognise it and hangs on 'Insert flash drive'. Same if I try to format using the GT16.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Paul

Not all flash drives work with the GT, it's a surprisingly difficult problem to solve. Do you have a flash drive that does work with the GT? Do you still have the LT that you can use to test the drive? And, can you load and store settings on the flash drive from the GT System Functions menu?

Not all flash drives work with the GT, it's a surprisingly difficult problem to solve. Do you have a flash drive that does work with the GT? Do you still have the LT that you can use to test the drive? And, can you load and store settings on the flash drive from the GT System Functions menu?

Yes there was a flash drive in the GT16 box that works for saving and loading on the GT System Functions menu.
I still have the LT, I haven't tried it with a flash drive yet but will give it a go.

I just tried another new flash drive and it worked, it is a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB 2.0.
The small profile flash drive I want to use is a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3.1, maybe the size or USB type is the problem? I have tried smaller partitions on it though...

Last edited:
I would suspect USB 3 is the problem. It's supposed to be backwards compatible, but it's not as simple as that I've found.

I bought the 32GB USB 2.0 version, the Sandisk Cruzer Fit, and it works fine in case anyone was after a small profile USB flash drive.

32GBCruzerFitUSB2.jpg

That’s a good idea. I have a few of those I’ll find one that I’m not using for anything important and convert it to use with the GT.

I've had a couple of dramas saving settings on the GT16 to USB.

If I make changes in the Editor, write changes to the GT then choose Save settings to USB it says saved but sometimes doesn't allow me to reload them. When I then put the the USB drive in the computer, the files are there but there is no file date info for when it was saved.

If I save in the Editor then put the USB into the computer and transfer the file, then insert the USB into the GT the file will load fine.

Also, is there a limit to how many saves we should have to load from a USB on the GT? If there is more than eight I can't scroll down further to see them...

Cheers
Paggzy

Good to know. I think I may just try to be diligent with regard to keeping my most current working version and maybe one previous version on the USB. That way if I get to a gig and something seems wrong I can re-set to the current version unless that’s the problem and then I’ll have the previous working version. I don’t want to many options out in the field.

The GT doesn't have an internal clock, so saved files will not have a date set. I have not seen a consistent save error like that, does this happen on multiple drives?

You should be able to scroll through a longer list using the up & down buttons (the footswitches - not the small black switches - under the main screen)

Ok good to know about the clock. Yes it was happening on the original RJM USB flash drive supplied with the GT16 and the one I have bought recently. Could it have been because I had some filenames from the Editor with hyphens and/or underscores which can't be done on the GT for naming files...? It may be a coincidence but I have deleted all filenames with hyphens/underscores and I can't replicate the problem.
Or could it be if you change USB flashdrive without powering off the GT?

It is definitely not scrolling down past eight saves for me, the highlight around the saved filenames just goes off the screen...

Last edited:
I guess the name could be part of the problem. It shouldn't, but you never know... I'll have to look into it. You definitely should not need to power down the GT to insert or remove the flash drive.

Likewise, I'll check the file load/save dialog and see what's going on.

Back