Powering GT16 from power brick?

damo_512

I'm trying to consolidate my rack and get it a bit neater as I've got a wireless pedal strapped in on a shelf with it's own 9v supply and then a 12v supply feedings my GT16 through a 5-7 pin cable plus two power supplies for rack gear.

So is it possible to power my GT16 from a power brick that can power the wireless pedal from one of the 9v outputs and the GT16 from a 12v supply? I'm just not sure if any bricks put out enough power that the GT needs. Having a power brick would also let me have power for future pedals if I wanted to add more inside.

If it is possible, anyone got ideas out there? Thanks :)

No multi-output supplies that I'm aware of can supply enough current for the GT/16, excepting the GigRig supply. But, it needs extra adapters to split and isolate its output.

Ahh bugger, I saw the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power AC, which gives up to 1200ma AC but I dont think it would be any good for the GT as it needs DC if I'm correct.

I run mine off a powerfactor with double tap. Probably shouldnt, as its a mere 800ma at 12V, but oh well. Sometimes Im too damn lazy and typically its for when I have it on my desk programming. I'd imagine underpowering is risky for both the psu and gt16. My goto is a battery, when im not slaving thru the MAG. Again, just because it can, doesnt mean You should. Some colors take more power. Id imagine its a matter of time before I have enough of the right colors to smoke my psu.

Apologies for reviving a dead thread here, but I'm wondering whether the GT16 could be powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 3+ pedal, combining both 12V 1A outputs using their current doubler adapter?

Thanks!
Lloyd

Presumably, it could, but I've never tried it.
I'm currently building a guitar rig and powering an effect gizmo and phantom powering mastermind gt 16 off the effect gizmo using a cioks dc7 combining 4 x 12v dc outlets to 12 volt dc barrel giving me a total of 12v dc 2000mah.

Since the topic of powering a GT16 is now somewhat recently alive again does anyone have any insight on powering it with a Truetone CS12?

I've been using it for a little while now on one of the 100mA 9v-12v outlets with the dipswitch set to 12v. Everything was working fine until today after leaving everything powered off for a few days. Now that outlet it was plugged into doesn't work at all for anything. All of the other outlets (100mA 9v-12v, 250mA 9v, 500 mA 9v, and AC 9v) still work and I can power the GT16 with another outlet on it. It even powers on when it's set to 9v which I found out when I forgot to set the dipswitch to 12v when troubleshooting. I was under the impression that as long as you don't exceed the CS-12's 2900mA maximum total output that it doesn't really matter if you use more mA than what's on the outlet label, but maybe I was wrong.

I'm hoping I didn't permanently break that outlet on my CS-12 by doing something foolish. I did send a message to Truetone support about what I did to see what they say about this situation. Am I foolish for trying to power the GT16 with something else other than the OG power supply?

Should I be using another one of 9v-12v outlets set to 12v? One of the 18v outlets (I'm going to assume no)? One of the 9v outlets with 250 mA or 500 mA markings? The red 9v AC outlet (I'm going to also assume no)? I obviously don't know much about the technical aspects of powering gear, volts, and mA stuff so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know what the typical/average mA consumption of the GT16 is? I believe I read somewhere around here that at max use with all the LEDs on white and such that it maxes out at 1600 mA.

Since the topic of powering a GT16 is now somewhat recently alive again does anyone have any insight on powering it with a Truetone CS12?

I've been using it for a little while now on one of the 100mA 9v-12v outlets with the dipswitch set to 12v. Everything was working fine until today after leaving everything powered off for a few days. Now that outlet it was plugged into doesn't work at all for anything. All of the other outlets (100mA 9v-12v, 250mA 9v, 500 mA 9v, and AC 9v) still work and I can power the GT16 with another outlet on it. It even powers on when it's set to 9v which I found out when I forgot to set the dipswitch to 12v when troubleshooting. I was under the impression that as long as you don't exceed the CS-12's 2900mA maximum total output that it doesn't really matter if you use more mA than what's on the outlet label, but maybe I was wrong.

I'm hoping I didn't permanently break that outlet on my CS-12 by doing something foolish. I did send a message to Truetone support about what I did to see what they say about this situation. Am I foolish for trying to power the GT16 with something else other than the OG power supply?

Should I be using another one of 9v-12v outlets set to 12v? One of the 18v outlets (I'm going to assume no)? One of the 9v outlets with 250 mA or 500 mA markings? The red 9v AC outlet (I'm going to also assume no)? I obviously don't know much about the technical aspects of powering gear, volts, and mA stuff so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know what the typical/average mA consumption of the GT16 is? I believe I read somewhere around here that at max use with all the LEDs on white and such that it maxes out at 1600 mA.

OK if you want to power the mastermind gt 16 with a different power supply you need 12v 1000mah
So say your power supply had 2 x 12v outlets 500mah each you could use a current doubler to power it.
I'm power my mastermind gt 16 with a cioks dc7.
But I'm powering mine off the effect gizmo via phantom power.
So I'm giving my effect gizmo 12v dc 2000mah
That's enough power to power the effect gizmo and to phantom power the gt 16.
I made a current quadrupler for my rack build.

Will the Strymon Zuma power a Mastermind GT/16 using the 2 - 12v 500mA ports with a doubling cable?

BCE27148-9C31-4489-939B-4FE84EAA4D0F.jpeg005C6434-BCE2-40B7-B665-765223529559.jpeg

Will the Strymon Zuma power a Mastermind GT/16 using the 2 - 12v 500mA ports with a doubling cable?

View attachment 2551View attachment 2552
You need to use a current doubler... Not a voltage doubler. So use two 12v 500mA ports with a current doubler that will give you 12v 1000ma.
Don't use a voltage doubler that doubles your voltage not the current.

You need to use a current doubler... Not a voltage doubler. So use two 12v 500mA ports with a current doubler that will give you 12v 1000ma.
Don't use a voltage doubler that doubles your voltage not the current.
Also make sure that you use the correct Polarity the mastermind gt 16 is centre positive.
So example if your current doubler is centre negative you will need to plug in a centre positive cable into the current doubler.

Last edited:
Also make sure that you use the correct Polarity the mastermind gt 16 is centre positive.
So example if your current doubler is centre negative you will need to plug in a centre positive cable into the current doubler.
Thanks for the response… that helps a ton. It would be nice if there was an easier way to power the Mastermind on a pedal board. Besides the original 2 prong power pack… looking for the proper parts now

Thanks for the response… that helps a ton. It would be nice if there was an easier way to power the Mastermind on a pedal board. Besides the original 2 prong power pack… looking for the proper parts now
No probs mate. You could also use an rjm phantom power box to power it that way you could power your mmgt 16 with a 7 pin midi cable that's your other option

No probs mate. You could also use an rjm phantom power box to power it that way you could power your mmgt 16 with a 7 pin midi cable that's your other option
My board will have MMGT16 with Strymon Timeline and Mobius also (plus a Mesa JP-2C)…so my next question, when using the phantom power box, is how would my midi connections need to be hooked up? The phantom box kinda throws a curveball in there without knowing too much about it.
And… how do we power the box? I see no power details on the product page…

Last edited:
My board will have MMGT16 with Strymon Timeline and Mobius also (plus a Mesa JP-2C)…so my next question, when using the phantom power box, is how would my midi connections need to be hooked up? The phantom box kinda throws a curveball in there without knowing too much about it.
And… how do we power the box? I see no power details on the product page…
Ah yeah fair enough man then your best option is to just power off your Zuma then. phantom power boxes are more suitable for rack based rigs. I reckon just stick with the Zuma with the current doubler and maybe you can purchase an extra long iec cable so all your power cables are bundled towards the back of your amp. Maybe you can bundle all your cables together in one loom that runs to your pedal board

Back