Question regarding Mission SP1-RJM EP and Mobius (Wah)

F

fevzay

I have a Mission Engineering SP1-RJM expression pedal coming in with my PBC soon, and I'd like to know if I can use the footswitch/button on the SP1 (connected to the PBC's 'Ext SW input') to access the Strymon Mobius' Wah (in the filter machine)?

Basically, using this switch would just recall the PC I've saved for a Wah (giving IA to the wah).

I guess I'm wondering two things. #1. What happens if I was in a preset that uses the SP1 as an expression pedal for one of the other parameters (ie. Mix knob on the Timeline)??? #2. Does pressing this button take me 'out' of the current preset, or can I just make it an IA (adding wah to the preset)?

There are a couple of ways to do it, but one possibility is to use expression pedal groups. Set the Expression Pedal Group parameter (on the Globals page) to "[1 2] 3 4". Then assign external switch 1 to button type "Pedal Group 1". Set Expression Pedal 1 to your Timeline Mix CC, and set Expression Pedal 2 to the Mobius Wah CC. When you press the button, it will switch the pedal from sending to Timeline to sending to the Mobius. (and vice-versa)

There are a couple of ways to do it, but one possibility is to use expression pedal groups. Set the Expression Pedal Group parameter (on the Globals page) to "[1 2] 3 4". Then assign external switch 1 to button type "Pedal Group 1". Set Expression Pedal 1 to your Timeline Mix CC, and set Expression Pedal 2 to the Mobius Wah CC. When you press the button, it will switch the pedal from sending to Timeline to sending to the Mobius. (and vice-versa)

Thanks for the tip, Ron! Sweetwater said that they'll be shipping my unit out tomorrow, I believe. Very much looking forward to getting things up and running.

Hoping to revisit this as I'm not quite understanding if the previous solution will work.

Here's the scenario:

I'm in Preset 1, which has an overdrive and a Timeline ON (with expression pedal set to control MIX values). If I want to improvise by adding a Wah sound (say Preset in Bank 00A / PC1 on my Mobius), then I *think* I'd need to have IA to that program change for the Wah (assigning the SP1 to being an IA rather than the 'Pedal 1' group shift), correct ?

You previously mentioned using the Expression Control grouping feature (which makes tons of sense); however, if the Mobius is not already ON in the set Preset then sending CC's won't really do anything will it? My understanding is that I need access to the PC to get the Wah ON first (before controlling the effect with CC's).

Sorry to pester again about this. In the future, a video on Expression pedal usage and grouping could prove useful when trying to control numerous devices.

You're correct that you can't have the button control the Mobius program and the expression pedal grouping at the same time. This is something I intend to change in the not too distant future.

No problem. I'll take care of the programming per Preset to deal with this for now.

Thank you for the quick reply, Ron.

I'm visiting this as a recent search. Is the global expression group still in ver 4.07? is there a new way to accomplish this?

Expression pedal groups are were removed in favor of expression pedal settings blocks, which are more versatile. On the Globals tab, set up four different settings blocks (you can set up to 128 of them, let's say you use blocks 0-3). Then create an IA button, turn on Send/Update on Preset Change and turn on IA Cycle. Add actions to the button like this:

System / ExpPedal off:None on:0
System / Step
System / ExpPedal off:None on:1
System / Step
System / ExpPedal off:None on:2
System / Step
System / ExpPedal off:None on:3

You can set up step names and button colors for each step in the IA Cycle Steps section of the button edit page.

This will do everything expression pedal groups does, plus allow you to set colors for each different setting.

Expression pedal groups are were removed in favor of expression pedal settings blocks, which are more versatile. On the Globals tab, set up four different settings blocks (you can set up to 128 of them, let's say you use blocks 0-3). Then create an IA button, turn on Send/Update on Preset Change and turn on IA Cycle. Add actions to the button like this:

System / ExpPedal off:None on:0
System / Step
System / ExpPedal off:None on:1
System / Step
System / ExpPedal off:None on:2
System / Step
System / ExpPedal off:None on:3

You can set up step names and button colors for each step in the IA Cycle Steps section of the button edit page.

This will do everything expression pedal groups does, plus allow you to set colors for each different setting.
Is this the only way to add Expression Pedal Settings Blocks to a preset from the PBC itself, or is there an edit function inside the PBC for adding EP Settings Blocks I am not finding without using the Editor.
Thanks

Is this the only way to add Expression Pedal Settings Blocks to a preset from the PBC itself, or is there an edit function inside the PBC for adding EP Settings Blocks I am not finding without using the Editor.
Thanks

It has to be done through the editor.

It has to be done through the editor.
Thank you for the response, If possible it would be nice to have the EP Setting Blocks available in the Edit Exp Pedal override section under Presets on the PBC as I have around 15 that I use. I will put this in the suggestion box.
Thanks

Thanks for sending it along. Was not sure what to do with it. Have found this board after coming from a manufacture sponsored board and would like to see this board prosper and just looking for ways to make it more appealing to new viewers...

Back