Tempo Double flashes?

ralphonz

Hi all,

Using my GT16 with an Axe FX II XL. I've got flash with tempo on, on my tempo button which is cool. However, it seems to flash twice (really quickly) for each beat rather than just once....

Have I got this set up wrong? or is it supposed to work this way?

Set MIDI Clock to Off, Make sure Update on Preset Change is turned off on your tempo button. That should do it.

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm still having issues with the tempo flash, I've got clock set to off, and update on preset change is off on the button as above. When i turn the unit on tempo flashes seem regular and smooth. However, after a minute or so the flashing becomes really irregular and stutters, it's as though for every one flash its trying to do two and eventually winds up in a sort of heartbeat rhythm - flash flash...flash flash..etc. I've also made sure calculate tempo from flashes is off, switching it on just makes the whole thing go nuts!

I could make a video of the irregular flashing if it would help?

I wrote that post(above) and turned round and the thing was flashing normally again! Didn't touch a thing... USB is unplugged no MIDI merge... Now as I write this its starting to do a double flash thing again...

That's odd....

Do you have a computer with a MIDI interface you could use to monitor the output from the Axe-Fx? And, how do you have the GT and Axe-Fx connected?

Well i just tried to monitor the AxeFX over USB with MIDI pipe but it wouldn't show me any messages at all (midi pipe working fine for other midi devices though). I'll try with my interface and a midi cable. I've got a 5pin cable from my axe to the phantom box and then a 7pin cable to the GT/16. Thats all at the moment. The only other thing involved is USB from the axe to the computer for axe edit.

I hooked up the axe midi out to my interface in and see constant system exclusive messages for 240 0 1 from the axe.

The flashing issue is only happening on presets where I've specified a tempo on the mastermind. Presets that don't have a tempo set for the preset/song flash normally and change when I tap.

Ah, that's the problem right there. The GT and the Axe-Fx are both trying to flash the button, and they're not quite in sync with each other.

Turning Update on Preset Change off should prevent this... What version of firmware are you running?

Updated to 3.4.6 but still seeing the same behaviour. It drifts in and out of bing in sync with the Axe FX. Just to be clear I've got update on preset change and Send on preset change off for my tempo button.

The readout may be linked to the RJM's tempo data, not the incoming data from the Axe. (Ron will correct me if I'm wrong). In this case you need to disable the tempo stream from the Axe in I/O > MIDI > realtime sysex.

Ok, so I really can't figure this out, any help would be much appreciated.

Basically, what I want to achieve is a flashing tap-tempo button that will display the current BPM of the preset on the Axe FX. I would like the tempo to change on the Axe FX if I tap it in with the button, and the display to reflect the new BPM. Is this possible to do, and if so what are the settings for both the Axe FX and the GT?

At the moment I have "send real time sysex" set to "ALL" on the Axe fx. I have an IA button with CC Toggle 14 (off: 0, on: 127), flash w/tempo is on, as is Show Tempo. All other settings are off for the button. Bi-directional midi is on, clock set to off, midi merge and calculate tempo from flashes is off.

Deleting the tempo info from the songs/presets on the GT fixes the flashes but no BPM value is displayed even though "show tempo" is checked. If I set "send real time sysex" to "off" or "tuner" on the axe fx, I get no flashes at all for presets which don't have a tempo defined on the GT (which is most presets except for the ones which are being used for songs). Furthermore, with axe tempo sysex off, if I tap in a new tempo it is not reflected by the BPM value or flashes on the GT, regardless of wether there is a tempo defined for that preset on the GT or not. Having a song/preset tempo set on the GT, and tempo sysex turned on on the axe gives me the double, out-of-time flashing I described initially.

It seems to me that I can't have a readout of the BPM (i.e "Show Tempo") unless I specify that BPM in the song/preset on the GT. Is this correct?

Help please!!!

And thanks in advance ;)

I think I may have a suggestion. I can set the mmgt to midi clock off (midi settings). Setup menu has "calculate flashes ON (the axe doesnt really sync nor send a midi clock like the norm/standard. Total pain in the ass and fractals fault). Show tempo is ON (if you want it to show it on big screen momentarily). THEN create a button on the mmgt for tempo. The button is a standard IA button set to no group, no cc link, remote ctl off, ia link off, snd on preset off, update on pre off, tempo ON, show tempo ON, momentary OFF, on msg only OFF. The button has one action and mine is type 'cc momentary", device axe fx, cc14, off value NONE, on value 127. The axe is set up to send realtime sysex all ( i like my tuner). I dont think having a preset tempo for the mmgt preset would make a difference, since the tempo for the mmgt is set to off. But I dont recall, so perhaps leaving the preset tempo empty would be the best bet. From your desription, it sounds like you just need to turn "calculate temp" on. Remember, the axe send messages in a timely manner for tempo, rather than an actual clock number...i think.

This is the closest I can get to 'locking' tempo with an axe unit. It is a recent update to the mmgt to calculate flashes, and its pretty damn close. The issue you are describing, is something that has been a loong road to overcome. I really do give credit to Ron and blame Cliff, but both the axe and mmgt are great units, tho querky. Just wait until you try and toss a daw into the clock mix, then it gets really challenging.

Best of luck, i am a novice myself on the mmgt, so i hope this helps, wont be surprised if it doesnt.

Last edited:
I think I may have a suggestion. I can set the mmgt to midi clock off (midi settings). Setup menu has "calculate flashes ON (the axe doesnt really sync nor send a midi clock like the norm/standard. Total pain in the ass and fractals fault). Show tempo is ON (if you want it to show it on big screen momentarily). THEN create a button on the mmgt for tempo. The button is a standard IA button set to no group, no cc link, remote ctl off, ia link off, snd on preset off, update on pre off, tempo ON, show tempo ON, momentary OFF, on msg only OFF. The button has one action and mine is type 'cc momentary", device axe fx, cc14, off value NONE, on value 127. The axe is set up to send realtime sysex all ( i like my tuner). I dont think having a preset tempo for the mmgt preset would make a difference, since the tempo for the mmgt is set to off. But I dont recall, so perhaps leaving the preset tempo empty would be the best bet. From your desription, it sounds like you just need to turn "calculate temp" on. Remember, the axe send messages in a timely manner for tempo, rather than an actual clock number...i think.

This is the closest I can get to 'locking' tempo with an axe unit. It is a recent update to the mmgt to calculate flashes, and its pretty damn close. The issue you are describing, is something that has been a loong road to overcome. I really do give credit to Ron and blame Cliff, but both the axe and mmgt are great units, tho querky. Just wait until you try and toss a daw into the clock mix, then it gets really challenging.

Best of luck, i am a novice myself on the mmgt, so i hope this helps, wont be surprised if it doesnt.

Thanks for the suggestion and info. I've tried that but unfortunately "the closest I can get to 'locking' tempo" isn't actually locking tempo so it's not much use.

The ideal solution would be to slave everything to the RJM clock, and be able to tap in the tempo to the RJM itself with a button, have it update, display and send that tempo to everything else (i.e. the axe fx). Annoying that the RJM has a MIDI clock and can transmit it but has no way to tap the tempo into itself!

Ah, that's the problem right there. The GT and the Axe-Fx are both trying to flash the button, and they're not quite in sync with each other.

Turning Update on Preset Change off should prevent this... What version of firmware are you running?

Hi Ron, do you have any further info on this? Update on preset change is off and I'm running the latest firmware but I'm still getting the double flashes - only when the tempo is entered for the preset on the GT (which is necessary if I want to see the BPM on the button for that preset?).

Which device is actually supposed to be the source of the tempo? I imagine that it would be the Axe-Fx, in which case, I recommend setting all tempos on the GT to 0. Turn on "Calculate tempo from flashes" in MIDI settings, it should report the BPM being received from the Axe-Fx.

Back