Using the LT to control Ableton

Andrealoud

I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to using an external controller with Ableton. How do I set the LT up to trigger clips and/or scenes, record and overdub tracks? I've already set up Ableton as a device but am stuck there. Are there any video tutorials or walkthroughs available? I see that Ableton is receiving midi from the LT, and when I enter midi mapping mode in Ableton pressing buttons on the LT doesn't show up in the Midi Mappings section.

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply.

a

We don't have any specific tutorials yet, but Ableton responds to CC messages. If you create "IA" button page(s) which send CC messages, those should be recognized by Ableton's mapping mode. The default preset & bank page won't do much for you in Ableton. This refers to editing on the LT itself, in the editor, BTW. In the editor, you can edit buttons, set the button type to IA. Then in the action list at the bottom of the page, add a "CC Toggle" action. Each button you assign needs to have a different CC number assigned to it so Ableton can differentiate between them.

I control Ableton with my LT, I have set it up as device 16 on channel 16 but deselected 'Send PC's' as Ableton does not respond to them.
It is important when midi mapping in Ableton you only send it a single message from the LT, if you send it a preset of a dozen messages it will just map the first message it sees. So let's set you want to trigger scene 1 in Ableton from preset one on the LT, configure this preset to send a momentary CC message on channel 16, CC 1 value 127. In Ableton enter midi mapping (command + m) and click on scene 1, now send your message. That's it! Now that you have mapped Ableton you can build the rest of your preset with as many messages as you need and it will trigger your scene every time you launch your preset.
If you open the browser in midi mapping mode it will show you exactly what midi commands it has linked, it is incredible helpful when organising multiple scenes / clips / etc.

I control Ableton with my LT, I have set it up as device 16 on channel 16 but deselected 'Send PC's' as Ableton does not respond to them.
It is important when midi mapping in Ableton you only send it a single message from the LT, if you send it a preset of a dozen messages it will just map the first message it sees. So let's set you want to trigger scene 1 in Ableton from preset one on the LT, configure this preset to send a momentary CC message on channel 16, CC 1 value 127. In Ableton enter midi mapping (command + m) and click on scene 1, now send your message. That's it! Now that you have mapped Ableton you can build the rest of your preset with as many messages as you need and it will trigger your scene every time you launch your preset.
If you open the browser in midi mapping mode it will show you exactly what midi commands it has linked, it is incredible helpful when organising multiple scenes / clips / etc.
Thank you!

I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to using an external controller with Ableton. How do I set the LT up to trigger clips and/or scenes, record and overdub tracks? I've already set up Ableton as a device but am stuck there. Are there any video tutorials or walkthroughs available? I see that Ableton is receiving midi from the LT, and when I enter midi mapping mode in Ableton pressing buttons on the LT doesn't show up in the Midi Mappings section.

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply.

a
I had the same problem. Ableton start/stop and pause/continue is not fully midi controllable. For some actions keystrokes are needed, eg SPACEBAR. I found a solution in Bome MIDI Translator Pro. This nice piece of software can translate midi commands in keystrokes (and do a whole lot more, but that's what you'll need).

Back