MASTERMIND PBC FIRMWARE 4.0.11 / EDITOR 4.0.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The file seems corrupted. At least here the Mastermind is unable to run the update.

It shows the following message:
"File is not a valid update.
Please insert a USB drive containing a valid firmware file."

Is there anyone else with the same problem?
I just updated to 4.0.5 and didn’t receive that message. Maybe it was a corrupted download?

I’ll do a hash on the zip so you can verify.

EEZOk0f.png

I just updated to 4.0.5 and didn’t receive that message. Maybe it was a corrupted download?

I’ll do a hash on the zip so you can verify.

It seems that the USB pendrive I was using was the problem. It is strange since it is the same one I was using for the last five updates.

Anyway, I tried with a different one and everything is fine now.

Cheers!!!

I just upgraded firmware from 3 to the latest version of 4 and noticed my song tempos no longer send to my strymon timeline pedal. In the changlog I see each preset has a tempo value: off, same, song. Am I needing to update all my presets to song, if I always use the song's tempo for my timeline?

---

EDIT: I went through and toggled each preset from "Tempo: Off" to "Tempo: Song" and that worked. It's neat to know that we have specific control over this variable now, though. Thank you.

Last edited:
I just upgraded firmware from 3 to the latest version of 4 and noticed my song tempos no longer send to my strymon timeline pedal. In the changlog I see each preset has a tempo value: off, same, song. Am I needing to update all my presets to song, if I always use the song's tempo for my timeline?

On the Global tab, I think you can just check the box that says “ignore preset tempos” (or something similar) and that will automatically use the Song tempos if specified.

Hello Ron - and everyone! Having a Timeline issue all of a sudden with my PBC. I updated firmware and editor ware to 4.0.4 a couple of weeks ago. Had some small things to do in the new editor to bring over the previous settings but pretty sure I did that - Things seemed to work fine last week at church, but this week, while programming in the Easter set songs and presets, all of a sudden I am noticing that the Timeline is not receiving the correct midi changes. I am also running a Mobius and 2 H9's and they all seem to be receiving the right preset changes. But now every PBC preset using the Timeline ends up with an incorrect TL preset - even the Global Preset! I went into the PBC itself to check the presets and they are showing the "right" preset for the Timeline, and I change the preset to be sure, save it, great, then go back out and into the song and press the PBC preset button - Nope, Timeline goes the wrong preset. It's not a +1 issue, it's actually usually selecting just a totally wrong preset, usually the same one!

I see that the Timeline has a firmware update which I have not run, and I just saw that you have a 4.0.5 firmware update Ron, but it doesn't list this an issue. The Timeline is working fine otherwise. Its Preset sounds are all there and It's presets are all in the "right" places - I did a "cheat sheet" per Mikey Woodward's suggestion to help in programming the PBC and it's a great go by (I use it for my Mobius and H9's as well), and everything still matches that and my TL preset list.

At this point I am unsure what else to do. Thoughts and suggestions please? If I have to do all this manually on Sunday it will not be fun!!!
Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

A VERY second place question totally unrelated to the above "emergency" - I am thinking of getting an LT/Effect Gizmo for my small board makeover and wondered if there is any way to transfer any of the data in PBC's Editor to a new Editor for the LT? Not sure how that works - it's the same editor it just gets populated with different data? But can I move songs and presets to the LT data set and then modify from there?
Anybody done anything similar?

Again, thanks!

Hello Ron - and everyone! Having a Timeline issue all of a sudden with my PBC. I updated firmware and editor ware to 4.0.4 a couple of weeks ago. Had some small things to do in the new editor to bring over the previous settings but pretty sure I did that - Things seemed to work fine last week at church, but this week, while programming in the Easter set songs and presets, all of a sudden I am noticing that the Timeline is not receiving the correct midi changes. I am also running a Mobius and 2 H9's and they all seem to be receiving the right preset changes. But now every PBC preset using the Timeline ends up with an incorrect TL preset - even the Global Preset! I went into the PBC itself to check the presets and they are showing the "right" preset for the Timeline, and I change the preset to be sure, save it, great, then go back out and into the song and press the PBC preset button - Nope, Timeline goes the wrong preset. It's not a +1 issue, it's actually usually selecting just a totally wrong preset, usually the same one!

I see that the Timeline has a firmware update which I have not run, and I just saw that you have a 4.0.5 firmware update Ron, but it doesn't list this an issue. The Timeline is working fine otherwise. Its Preset sounds are all there and It's presets are all in the "right" places - I did a "cheat sheet" per Mikey Woodward's suggestion to help in programming the PBC and it's a great go by (I use it for my Mobius and H9's as well), and everything still matches that and my TL preset list.

At this point I am unsure what else to do. Thoughts and suggestions please? If I have to do all this manually on Sunday it will not be fun!!!
Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

A VERY second place question totally unrelated to the above "emergency" - I am thinking of getting an LT/Effect Gizmo for my small board makeover and wondered if there is any way to transfer any of the data in PBC's Editor to a new Editor for the LT? Not sure how that works - it's the same editor it just gets populated with different data? But can I move songs and presets to the LT data set and then modify from there?
Anybody done anything similar?

Again, thanks!
How is your midi routed? Are the H9's before the Timeline?

How is your midi routed? Are the H9's before the Timeline?

I'm thinking along the same lines - temporarily rearrange things so that the Timeline is connected directly to the PBC's MIDI output and see if the situation improves. One of your cables or MIDI devices could be corrupting MIDI data.

To convert your settings to LT, just switch the Model setting on the Globals tab to LT/7. When prompted to factory reset, answer No. Now you have an LT version of your settings. The button settings are going to need some work to have them make sense on a PBC, but all presets, songs, setlists, etc. will be usable without modification.

Best I can tell from looking at the cables - Goodwood wired it up - Midi goes from PBC to Selah Quartz for "Global" timekeeping and I have had no issues with the Quartz (it did get a firmware update too...) - then to TL, then the H9's then to the Mobius - it's last in the chain. Again, none of the other pedals are having this issue - see my question below on the Editor...

I have a couple of extra Midi cables and will try that anyway, but based on the above order, not sure how that would be the issue.
Why the question on the H9's? And this JUST started happening, which is weird...other than the change to the 4.0.4 firmware, nothing else has changed except the Editor update (and the Quartz update). Anything in the Editor I should look at?

Thanks guys for the quick responses!!! And thanks Ron for the response on the PBC to LT programming. I understand about the button changes - less on the LT than the PBC - but a critical decision for me is whether to just make the remodeled small board "manual" or try and utilize the work I've put into programming the PBC. If I can do that...!

I don't know of anything that would cause the PBC to send different PCs than are programmed into its settings, and it's not something that's ever been reported as a bug.

I would definitely try bypassing the Quartz, if that doesn't help things, then we'll have to look at the PBC and see if this is some new bug.

OK, bypassed the Quartz straight to the Timeline, which IS first in the midi chain. All preset changes worked correctly. Clearly something in the firmware update on the Quartz or in the changes in its editor. I have sent a note to the Selah guys, will report back as I know others
here are using the Quartz as well.
Thanks again guys! I should have thought of that first, as it was the last update I did before things went wonky...Weird though that it is only affecting the Timeline, the first in the midi chain after the Quartz.
All the best, and Happy Easter and weekend to you!

OK, all parties involved have been great, attentive and responsive. Heard back very quickly from Cal at Selah - on a Saturday there! - and it was ONE thing I had incorrectly selected in the new Selah Editor - needed to have the Send Program Changes set to OFF. The Selah was sending changes on Midi Ch 1 on top of the PBC to the Timeline - which is set to Midi Ch 1 - and confusing only the Timeline. Quick fix, quick update, now all working as it should - Nominal!!! In my rush to diagnose, I did not at first think of the Selah, as I tend to think of it as strictly "passive" in the midi chain - clearly that is/was an oversight!

I really like the Quartz, the way it works and takes the time keeping off the PBC and onto an easily accessible, small platform that I can easily tweak on the fly. I know the PBC is great and can do all that, but being able to tap and adjust the Selah on the fly is just so easy without having to use another button on the PBC, and the very small amount of time it takes to program in addition to and with the PBC is not really an issue once up and running.

It's also great how all these folks are working with you, Ron, and vice versa to make sure that us users have as seamless an experience as possible. I really appreciate the support!

I love the new update! Thanks so Much!!!

I have noticed that now when I switch between presets the master clock fluctuates slightly making my delays go out of tune suddenly. This didn't happen before so is that a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Here's the 4.0 firmware release for your enjoyment...

There are quite a few features and fixes, here are most of them:

Audio Features
  • Audio loops can now be set as "independent". This is a global-level setting that is a new option to the locked/unlocked setting. An independent loop does not change when you change presets - it stays in whatever state you last set (by IA button presses).
  • There is now an Audio / Input action that controls the input mute.
  • It's now possible to disable the internal tuner
  • There is a new Guitar mode for the tuner that allows you to set a capo (in semitones) and per-string offsets (in cents). You can also use the Chromatic mode to get the old tuner behavior.
Device Support
  • Added the Tap Button CC to Strymon pedals
  • Added missing Bypass CC for the Strymon Mobius
  • Added support for MD-500 and RV-500
  • Added support for Empress Echosystem, Reverb, Tremolo and Phaser
Expression Pedals
  • You can now define up to 128 expression pedal settings blocks. There's a System / ExpPedal action that allows you to switch expression pedal settings on the fly. This replaces expression pedal grouping
External Switches
  • External switches can now have different functions on different button pages (in addition to the per-preset settings they already have)
  • External switches now pay attention to color settings: setting a color to black means "LED off" and any other color means "LED on"
Function Switches
  • Function switches now have global and preset settings with lock, independent and override settings, just like audio loops do.
Presets
  • Each preset can now have a button color assigned to it. When a preset button calls up a preset, its button color will be displayed on that preset button (if any color is assigned)
  • Each preset can be assigned an alternate preset number. There's a new "Alternate" setting for the "Preset 2nd Press" global setting - when this setting is active, pressing a preset button a second time will recall the preset's alternate preset.
Song / Setlist:
  • It's now possible to select a preset that's not part of the current song, and also possible to select a song that's not part of the current setlist.
  • There is now a System / Song action that allows you to select songs from an IA button, macro, etc. Special values are "None", "Previous" and "Next"
  • The System / Setlist action now has special values "None", "Same", "Previous" and "Next"
  • When switching setlists, will always reset to the first song and preset in the setlist
Tempo
  • Each preset can set a tempo division for the MIDI clock output and the Auto Tap feature
  • Presets can specify a tempo value, or special values "Off", "Same", "Song"
  • Songs can specify a tempo value, or special values "Off", "Same", "Preset"
  • There is now a System / BPM action that allows you to set tempos on the fly. Special values are "Off", "Same", "Song", "Preset", "Plus 1", "Plus 0.1", "Minus 1", "Minus 0.1"
  • There's a setting that enables or disables sending of MIDI start and stop messages when the clock starts and stop
  • There's a setting that enables or disables sending MIDI clock to the secondary output pins of the MIDI in port.
  • "Ignore Preset Tempos" setting forces the system to ignore all tempos in presets and act as if the tempo was set to "Song"
  • There is now an "Auto" setting for the "MIDI Clock" parameter. This one makes the system a clock master unless a clock is received from the USB port or MIDI In port, in which case it becomes a clock slave
Other Features
  • You can now format flash drives from the setup menu
  • MIDI Forwarding setting allows you to use the Mastermind as a USB MIDI interface for other MIDI devices. Works well with Strymon pedals and the Nixie software on a PC or Mac.
  • PC actions now have "Same" and "Prev" values. The former sends the most recently sent PC again. The latter sends the 2nd to last PC again
  • Added a System / IA Store action
  • The amount of time button names are displayed is now user configurable
  • There are now "Copy to Preset" and "Copy from Preset" options accessible by right-clicking on presets in the Presets tab of the editor.
Bug Fixes
  • IA Link now works correctly with buttons that recall presets
  • Click Stopper no longer is triggered when changing function switches
  • You can now select Dry Mix in an Audio / Signal action
  • Fixed issues with tempo and global preset
  • Bank Up / Down on a page with no preset buttons no longer causes a problem
  • You can now select any of the 64 setlists from the setup menu
  • Fixed the ability to set trails on loops 9 & 10 in the setup menu
  • Fixed a bug involving changing pages and momentary buttons
  • Edit Presets menu now correctly handles comments in preset names (text after a "|" character)
  • Fixed a bug that occurred when a preset index was set to 255
Fixes since the beta release
  • Fixed MIDI Forwarding
  • Fixed settings conversion issues that caused problems with page names and the Dry Mix button
  • Fixed settings load and save of expression pedal settings blocks
  • Fixed how editor looks on high-DPI Windows displays
  • Sending settings to the device no longer kicks you back to the first song in your setlist (unless you change setlists)
  • Added "Same" value for the System / Preset action - reloads the current preset
Fixes in 4.0.1
  • Hold Functions that have IA cycle turned on will now display the cycle step names correctly
  • Preset and song tempos can now be set to special values (Same, Preset, Song, etc.) in the setup menu on the PBC
  • When editing tempos on the PBC, pressing the Mute button will set BPM to the minimum value. This makes it easier to access the BPM special values. Press Mute, then press Val- to get to the special values.
  • Fixed song and setlist selection from incoming PC messages. When "bank=song" is off, only songs within the current setlist will be searched for matching presets.
  • Fixed range checking issues in the editor when editing Audio actions (specifically Signal and Parallel actions)
  • Fixed a bug in the editor that sometimes caused the Alt Preset parameter of the first preset to be corrupted
Fixes in 4.0.2 (firmware release only)
  • Added "Prev" value to the possible values for Alternate Preset. This allows you to return to the previously selected preset
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to edit preset or song tempos on the device
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to edit empty setlist entries if you'r settings were upgraded from 3.x
  • Fixed the unintentional sending of expression pedal data when changing exp pedal settings
  • Fixed MIDI forwarding errors
Fixes in 4.0.3 (firmware release only)
  • Fixed expression pedals again, this time correctly
Fixes in 4.0.4
  • Fixed preset button status updating from incoming PC messages
  • Fixed the loss of button repeat functionality in certain cases
  • Fixed the inability to change the buffer lock state in the editor
Fixes in 4.0.5 (firmware release only)
  • Fixed a memory issue that occurred in systems with many devices defined
  • Fixed an issue involving momentary hold functions on disabled buttons
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 3.1 or earlier, your PBC will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind PBC while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind PBC. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MM405.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MastermindEditor-4.0.4.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MastermindEditor-4.0.4.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/PBC Manual-4.0.pdf

4.0.6 now available, with some firmware and editor fixes and Source Audio Ventris support.

I love the new update! Thanks so Much!!!

I have noticed that now when I switch between presets the master clock fluctuates slightly making my delays go out of tune suddenly. This didn't happen before so is that a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Nothing changed in MIDI clock handling that I'm aware of. If you'd like to send me your settings, I can have a look. If you have a backup of your 3.x settings, that would be even better so I can compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back