Issue with midi Device in slot 4

Hello,

I was having a very strange issue with one of my midi devices. It wasn't selecting the correct preset when switching. It worked find with the button page I setup but when I changed the PC value in on the preset page it wouldn't switch to the correct preset on the midi device. I started monitoring the midi traffic and noticed it was sending two different PC messages both of which were wrong when the device was in slot 4.

I tried to recreate it by moving the device to slot 8 and the problem went away and it started working correctly. I then decided to move it back to slot 4 on the device page and the problem returned. I then moved it back to the working slot 8 and now I had the same problem as slot 4. I finally moved it to slot 9 and the issue was resolved.

Device = Chase Brothers
Device slot 4 - sending the wrong PC messages
Device Slot 8 - initially worked until I removed and re-added the device
Device slot 9 - working since I moved to this spot and haven't changed it in fear it would stop working.
Midi Channel = 4

Attached are both the working config and problem config.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

Attachments

• backup-issue with device 4-working with move to device 9.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • backup-issue with device 4.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Hmmm... I have my Tonal Recall on midi channel 4 and it's acting up (modulation is increasing momentarily on preset changes). I'm going to change mine to a different midi channel and see if that helps.

It could be a CBA issue accepting information over Ch4.

I had my brothers in slot 4 using channel 4 and it wouldn't select the Brother preset I had defined in the PBC preset.

Steps I used to recreate the issue
1) Brothers in slot 4 using midi channel 4, issue presented itself.
2) I moved it to slot 8 while still on channel 4 and it worked without issue.
3) I moved it back to slot 4 while still on midi channel 4 and the issue returned.
4) I then moved it back to slot 8 and had the same issue as slot 4.
5) moved it to slot 9 while still on midi channel 4 and the issue vanished. (left it there since it works)

When I captured the midi traffic I kept on seeing is sending PC0 and PC5 on each present change. It didn't matter which Brother preset value I had in the PBC preset.

Hmmm... I have my Tonal Recall on midi channel 4 and it's acting up (modulation is increasing momentarily on preset changes). I'm going to change mine to a different midi channel and see if that helps.

It could be a CBA issue accepting information over Ch4.
Try moving the tonal recall to a different device number on the device list. That's what fixed me issue.

The problem is that you have buttons on page 6 that are programmed to send PCs to the Brothers. They're also programmed to send their PC messages on preset changes. That's what's causing the problem. When you change to a different device slot, those buttons on page 6 no longer control the Brothers (they're still trying to control whatever's in device slot 4).

You probably want to turn off Send on Preset Change on those buttons. That will prevent them from generating PC messages on preset changes.

The problem is that you have buttons on page 6 that are programmed to send PCs to the Brothers. They're also programmed to send their PC messages on preset changes. That's what's causing the problem. When you change to a different device slot, those buttons on page 6 no longer control the Brothers (they're still trying to control whatever's in device slot 4).

You probably want to turn off Send on Preset Change on those buttons. That will prevent them from generating PC messages on preset changes.

Thank you for the help, I'll try it tomorrow. I didn't realize that my other pages would send PC messages when they weren't active.

Thank you

Back