You upgraded to RJM from...

mikeuk

Hi, i am interested to know if anyone used to own a different midi switcher, and made the change to an RJM. I currently own a Boss ES5, but even in bypass i can hear a degradation in sound. So, i've heard several comments about how the sound is perfect through a mastermind. So, just wondered if anyone had the opportunity to compare, and noticed differences.
Mastermind PBC doesn't really come up for sale very often in the UK!
thanks for reading

Well, it's my first switcher, but I can tell you it's audio path is COMPLETELY transparent. Absolutely zero tone degradation. I was an early adopter (I've had mine for about 3 years, I think) and it's an awesome "bit of kit" to borrow a British phrase. ;)

When the PBC is bypassed it sounds exactly like my old setup. My old setup was guitar straight into amp.

Thanks guys. When i think about it, does that mean my ES5, when in bypass, isn't true-bypass? Well, i'd like to get my hands on a mastermind pbc, but none in the UK. Cheers mates!

I came from a Disaster Area DPC-5. Both great system and no noise issues, but for me the ability to edit songs and presets and everything else on the unit with a computer program is a total game-changer. There's a learning curve for the PBC for sure, but once you learn it, the sky is the limit for what you dream up for it to do, and ease of use is amazing. And that's what this community is for -- to help you figure out how to use it!

As far as getting one where you are -- lots of listings on Reverb.com will ship internationally, so that's worth a look. And honestly you could email RJM directly and see if they have any units that were demos or anything that they could ship to you.

Thanks guys. When i think about it, does that mean my ES5, when in bypass, isn't true-bypass? Well, i'd like to get my hands on a mastermind pbc, but none in the UK. Cheers mates!
Actually, it's probably the opposite... that the ES5 is true bypass (I'm guessing it is, but I don't know for sure), or that the internal circuitry isn't of the quality needed to pass the signal 100% like the original.

The PBC has 3 defeatable buffers: 1 at the input, 1 at the loop 6 output, and one at the main outputs. The buffers help to retain your original signal throughout the signal chain, even if you use an effects loop and add 20ft or more of cable. Ron placed the three buffers in the PBC in the perfect spots IMO, and the ability to defeat them if you don't need them is an added bonus. I leave all three on all the time.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare, but...

From what I've read and gathered the Boss uses a switching matrix to achieve loop reordering and that's not the purest form of switching. Conversely RJM feels a pure signal path is #1 priority, to paraphrase from another post by them here, so they use relay switching. Gotta to wonder if this is part of what you're hearing.

And yes the buffers are an important part as well. I painstakingly tested guitar --> amp versus guitar --> PBC --> amp (loops bypassed, buffers on) and the PBC doesn't change a thing. Same sound, same feel.

I also toyed with using another well known brand's buffer when building my board. Unlike the RJM you could hear it -- it added a little bit of sheen, which actually was kind of nice on cleans. But with dirt, not so much. Made me start hating my dirt sounds. I personally want to the buffer to preserve my sound, not enhance it. In that sense the RJM buffers on the PBC are just perfect.

Thanks very much, it makes sense, and not the first time i've read this about the RJM switching. But again, surely the Boss in bypass mode, should be that, bypass.

@mikeuk how were you testing? In other words when you were hearing a signal degradation what was the signal path vs when there was no degradation?

Wherabouts in the UK are you?

I’m in Glasgow and you’re welcome to try mine if you’re nearby.

That’s great. Thanks very much, really kind. I would take you up on that but I am in East London and no planned trips to Glasgow.

That’s great. Thanks very much, really kind. I would take you up on that but I am in East London and no planned trips to Glasgow.

That's a pity.

My previous switchers were a Kenton GS8 rack unit back in the 90’s (early adopter me ;-) )

Then a GigRig Midi8.

The PBC is eaily as good as the GigRig sonically and WAY more powerful than even the G2 in terms of functionality. Having said that the extreme flexibility can lead to option anxiety and a steep learning curve. The G2 is great in its own way for anyone who doesn’t need midi or flexibility- its a sort of plug’n’play solution which works for some folks. I nearly bought one but needed midi control form my Strymon pedals and the G2’s midi still works in exactly the same way as my old Midi8 which was driving me absolutely mental :-( Therefore, I opted for the PBC and haven’t looked back.

The only downside to the PBC is the fact that you cant reorder loops. That’s a major PITA but I understand why the physical design just won’t allow it. It may also be part of the reason the sound is so transparent.

Now the loops are actually pretty much redundant for me as I’ve done away with real amps and pedal and started using the Kemper for everything. The PBC has just become a great midi controller for the Kemper.realistically a Mastermind GT16 would be the best solution for me these days but I already have a PBC and can’t justify the expense of changing to a GT. Also, you never know when I might want/need to bring my Boogies and pedals out of hibernation:)

I actually picked up an es-8 a few months ago and have got everything setup and wired but started noticing my signal just isn’t the same as even running straight pedals. Plus I played with the editor a bunch for the Pbc last night and decided to order it. Just is more what I’m used to midi wise. Great editor. LCDs and loop reordering would be a dream but I think the pre/post option on the h9 will help.

New RJM PBC user here, and a long time audiophile with ocd hearing.
The RJM PBC does NOT degrade your tone at all. What goes in is what comes out. Also, the 3 buffers in the PBC are awesome and perfectly placed. Which means that even if you use cables 18ft or longer, Ron has you sorted with the buffers.
Do yourself a favor and get a pbc. :)

Thanks for the responses. I was beginning to think i was being OCD, and there isn't an impact on the sound, but i do hear it. Less definition on the top end through my Fuchs, and loss of definition in the low end on the JTM45. I've been searching and researching, in the hope of justifying a change (and cost) to swapping my ES5 for the PBC.
There's a post from RJm on this forum http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/reordering-loops.2074/
talking about the switching matrix. So, perhaps explains i am not hearing things. The ES5 is a very capable unit, but since i've spent all this money on an Xotic XSC1 and a Fuchs ODS50, the sound has to the THE sound!
Thanks again, a purchase is beckoning.

Back