Please Add Support for Major Kemper Revision Coming

scratch17

Just a head's up for the great folks at RJM. The next revision for the Kemper will add a feature that is called UI to MIDI. I think this will be of great interest to MMGT with Kemper owners. Here is a description from the public beta release notes. I must add that as of yet, the feature is undocumented and not implemented in the beta release.

"UI to MIDI allows to transmit all sound relevant parameters of the Profiler user interface via MIDI to for example establish a MIDI daisy chain of multiple Profilers"

In another post Burkhard mentioned that once implemented this would let a user control both Kempers in a "daisy chain". You connect a Profiler Remote to a master Kemper, then connect a second Kemper via a MIDI cable. Now you will have control over both.

I asked what the "relevant parameters" were and got the reply that UI to MIDI was not implemented or documented yet in the beta release, but that it is being "worked on" at this time. I am hoping that you will support this feature when it becomes available and properly documented. Note that there are a number of other added features in the next release as well.

UI to MIDI implementation might well be a precursor to a Kemper editor and/or plugin. Obviously such communication is required so that the Kemper software would know what the existing parameter values on the Kemper hardware are. A plugin would not be the engine. It would just be a software interface that used the Kemper as its engine. This is the same concept as the new TC Electronic TC-2290 delay.

The plugin would act as an effects processor that you could insert into a DAW channel for effects and reamping. It could also of course be used as an editor. The plugin would create a lot of added value for the Kemper.

I'd love to be able to use the MMGT to do real time tweaks to my Kemper with my feet!

This is the first I've heard of it, but I will certainly look into it further. Kemper has always been good about providing documentation for this stuff.

Thanks, Ron. Note that plugin / editor is entirely speculation on my part. UI to MIDI and other features are definitely coming in an update.

Burkhard just posted a small nugget of info about UI to MIDI. It seems that this will be added so that two or more Kempers can be cascaded together. From what Burkhard stated the primary KPA would send its parameter positions to downstream KPA(s) via MIDI. This would link the Kempers so that if you raised gain on the primary, the same parameter would be changed to the same value on the other(s) downstream. Again, I speculate. I guess the idea is to have a backup online for a live show so you don't skip a beat.

It's not yet clear to me if any of the new MIDI stuff will apply to the GT at all, but I've sent some questions to the guys at Kemper for clarification. We'll see!

For what it's worth, the next release will add the "Panorama" CC, that was easy enough to do.

I was thinking about the Kemper settings to MIDI feature, Ron. I thought that it might help with coordination between the KPA and the MMGT.

I have been thinking of adding a second KPA. Kemper says that the update will let one KPA to control a second one (or more). I think it is meant as a live safety measure.

But I want to cheat. I'd like to start a morph on one KPA and fade the morph to the second KPA with a different profile. You can't morph between profiles on a single KPA. In a way, it's not really a morph; it's really a crossfade. And with two pedals, I could set up morphs on both, then crossfade as I wanted between the two, no matter where the morph position is.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to use the MMGT to do things with 2 KPA's that were not intended in their design. So if this is a nutty idea, please forgive me.

Last edited:
My contact at Kemper says that the UI to MIDI feature isn't really intended for use with third party MIDI controllers.

You should definitely be able to crossfade between two Kempers. Set the expression pedal to send Volume CC messages to both Kempers, but set the min/max values to 0 and 127 on the first Kemper and to 127 and 0 on the second Kemper. That should crossfade between the two.

Back