A quick question about stereo....

td2243

Hey there!

Just got my PBC and this thing is amazing. I'm still figuring out which cables I need to order and such. I think I understand about 99% of how the stereo loops work and the two buttons for mono/stereo.

Here's my question: if my first pedal in the stereo loops (loop 7) is mono in/stereo out, would I still need a "Ring Disconnect" cable going to from the Send of 7 to the input of the pedal, OR would a simple TS patch cable work for that input since it is first in the stereo loops?

I realize after that from that pedal's output I would need some sort of stereo cables from then on.

Daniel

If you ever plan to switch the pedal in loop 7 to parallel, then you need a ring disconnect cable. The inputs of all parallel pedals are tied together, so the ring disconnect cable is there to keep the mono input from interfering with the stereo inputs.

If loop 7 will never be parallel, then a standard mono cable is ok.

Hmmm..... okay.

If the only pedal in stereo is in Loop 10, can I use simple TS cables up until that Loop, where I would need a TRS Y-cable out of the last pedal back into Loop 10? Thereby, making the signal stereo at the very end of the entire chain?

Loop 7 - mono pedal
Loop 8 - mono pedal
Loop 9- mono pedal
Loop 10- mono IN/stereo OUT Dimension C pedal

Another quick one question.

If I have the rig set up for stereo, but suppose I want to run mono (for the sake of ease) at a smaller gig, will simply setting both switches to mono "sum" all the L/R's in 7-10 together and allow one output to an amp instead of two without swapping out a bunch of cables?

Last edited:
Again, it depends on if you ever plan on switching loops 7-10 to parallel. If they remain series all the time, then you can use mono cables on the inputs. But, if you ever want the option to switch them to parallel, the input cables need to be ring disconnect.

All of your mono output pedals will need to have mono-stereo converter cables on their outputs. Otherwise, if one of your mono pedals is active, and your stereo pedal is not, you will have a mono signal at the PBC output.

You're correct that only the last pedal needs an insert (aka TRS Y) cable - it's the only one that has a true stereo output.

A stock PBC does not mix down the outputs when the Mono Output button is pressed, it sends the left side signal to both the left and right outputs. However, we do offer a modification that makes the Mono Output mix down both sides when pressed. That costs $50+shipping. Goodwood audio makes a box called the Interfacer that does basically the same thing, but in a separate box. I recommend the TX version because it has an isolation transformer, which is often necessary.

I’ve learned that if I want loop 9 (Reverb) to have trails on, that loop needs to be in Parallel. There's also a little volume boost when that loop is set to Parallel, but I guess that is normal. Please see if this is correct:

Mono switches on PBC both set to out.

Loop 7 - mono overdrive pedal - Mono cable in/ring disconnect out
Loop 8 - mono pedal - mono cable in/ring disconnect out
Loop 9 Parallel - mono pedal (but with trails) - mono cable in/ring disconnect out
Loop 10 - mono IN/stereo OUT Dimension C pedal - mono>Stereo cable in/Y TRS out

OR will I need Mono/Stereo converter cables on 7-9? thanks again for the help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Loop 7-9 should be mono->stereo converters on the outputs, ring disconnect on loop 9's input since you're using it in parallel.

If you're using loop 9 in parallel, loop 10 has to be in parallel, otherwise you won't hear it when loop 9 is active. I recommend putting the Dimension C in loop 9 and a stereo in/stereo out reverb in loop 10.

If you get a volume boost in parallel, then the pedal needs to be set to "Kill Dry" or 100% wet. That will fix it.

Okay! I have it all figured out. I'm going to get a stereo I/O Ventris Reverb and run it last like you said. Use the PBC to change settings and trails internally via midi and I can always run SERIES that way. With that being the case, does this look correct?

Loop 7 - mono overdrive pedal - Mono cable IN/OUT
Loop 8 - mono Count to Five pedal - mono cable IN/OUT
Loop 9 - Dimension C pedal - mono cable in/Y TRS out
Loop 10 - Ventris Reverb- Y TRS/Y TRS out

You still need mono to stereo converter cables on the outputs of loops 7 and 8. To give an example of why you need this, let's say you want loop 7 on and all other loops off. Loop 7's mono output will be connected directly to the PBC's outputs, giving you a mono signal (left side only). The stereo pedals and cables in loops 9 & 10 have no effect because the loops are turned off, completely disconnected from the signal path.

Back