MASTERMIND GT 4.1beta1 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, bummer. That's a deathblow to "Get Scenes", because it means we can't access the remaining 384 presets with scene names.

That's true, the assumption being made is that people only use a few presets (at least, that's the case with most touring bands I work with). If you need to use all scenes in all presets, you will need another approach.

Hey Ron,

Would it be possible to add a [SCENE] button function similar to [PRESET] button?

Here's what my main page (local page) for each patch looks like:

7ji5xay.png

The way I have things setup, each Preset button on the page is a dedicated [PRESET] button, but each Scene button is just an IA switch set to activate its respective Axe-Fx scene.

I don't have a use for making each scene its own preset, but I could definitely use the ability to have the GT pull each scene name from each patch and simply rename the 8 Scene buttons accordingly in each of my presets.

edit: I understand that there might not be enough memory in the GT to store all those scene names (512 presets x 8 scene names per patch = 4,096 scene names), but each GT preset does have the option to have its own Local Page and therefore enough memory to name the buttons on that page, so the GT probably would have the memory to rename any Scene buttons stored on a patch's Local Page, right?

edit 2: or, for another approach, is there a way I can make the current implementation for getting Axe-Fx preset and scene names work with my layout?

Last edited:
That's true, the assumption being made is that people only use a few presets (at least, that's the case with most touring bands I work with). If you need to use all scenes in all presets, you will need another approach.
I would like to be able to choose between presets and then, once a preset is selected, be able to choose scenes within the preset. Then I would like to be able to go back out to presets again. Perhaps this could be part of a larger "modes" selection, to where you picked that style of operation. Other modes could include songs, setlists, etc. Perhaps all this is already possible, but I am not smart enough to figure it out and could use help in the form of a step by step tutorial or "recipe". If enough people were interested, there could be Youtube videos that show how to do each approach.

I would also like to see how other people have used different approaches: how they decided to do it that way and recipes for doing it.

Hey Ron,

Would it be possible to add a [SCENE] button function similar to [PRESET] button?

Here's what my main page for each patch looks like:

7ji5xay.png

The way I have things setup, each Preset button on the page is a dedicated [PRESET] button, but the Scene buttons are just IA switches set to activate its respective Axe-Fx scene.

I don't have a use for making each scene its own preset, but I could definitely use the ability to have the GT pull each scene name from each patch and simply rename the 8 Scene buttons accordingly in each of my presets.

edit: or, for another approach, is there a way I can make the current implementation for getting Axe-Fx preset and scene names work with my layout?
This approach makes a lot of sense to me personally. I think this is the way that I will set up my GT up once I get my hands on one.

Presets are displayed. When a preset is selected, the scenes in that preset are displayed. IA buttons (what I think of as stomp box mode) is accessed via Instant Access mode using the IA Button Page.

How do you deal with Channels (or do you)?

I cannot wait to get a GT!

Last edited:
At the moment, you can't get scene names to appear anywhere but preset buttons.

The current plan (subject to change) is:
- Static scene name plan (described earlier)
- Scene names are stored per GT preset, probably will be represented in the editor as a separate pane next to IA Buttons and Preset Actions.
- When a preset is selected, scene names will be automatically displayed in any IA button that has a Scene CC action as the first action in the button. Scene buttons will automatically turn on or off to indicate which scene is currently selected.
- Yes, I will find some shortcut to make Get Preset Names quicker to access. Don't know what it will look like yet.
- The existing song/preset/scene thing will still be available as an option, and can work in conjunction with this new method of doing things.

This will allow the "old way" of doing things, plus a lot more. For example @GreatGreen 's example above is no problem. @David Barrow's request will work using two button pages, one for presets, one for scenes. System resource usage is relatively low, no local button pages required.

That's my plan for the upcoming week! I don't know if I can get it done in one week - it's a sizable change - but it shouldn't be more than two weeks. In the meantime, keep the bug reports and comments coming!

First I'd like to express my gratitude to RJM for all the hard work to support us. It's exciting to have the Axe-FX III support working.

I'm a bit apprehensive to make the move just yet. I'm happy with the way my GT is currently working. The only gains for me would be the tuner and tempo communicating with GT. The best part would be controlling channels in blocks. Since I'm not interested in "making a scene", I would have to go through all the steps to rearrange everything just to get the GT to do what it's already doing. Having said that, I'll watch with fascination as all the details are worked out.

Last edited:
Ron I confirmed I had the AxeIII loaded, Prgm change =on, Send realtime sys= on. Everything works with two 5pin midis and power via the power supply direct to the MMGT

When I use the 7pin to the RJM dual power adapter I seem to be getting the midi out because the tempo flashes. However Any MMGT changes do not go to the Axe FXIII. I order the power adapter last week and it arrived with the midi in jack not screwed into the box. Not sure if it was a damaged unit?

Also: POTENTIAL BUG: I can't seem to get Save Settings to work at all in the system functions on the MMGT. Wanted to save my AXEIII settings. I rolled back to Firmware 4.0.1 and the save setting works fine.

Last edited:
At the moment, you can't get scene names to appear anywhere but preset buttons.

The current plan (subject to change) is:
- Static scene name plan (described earlier)
- Scene names are stored per GT preset, probably will be represented in the editor as a separate pane next to IA Buttons and Preset Actions.
- When a preset is selected, scene names will be automatically displayed in any IA button that has a Scene CC action as the first action in the button. Scene buttons will automatically turn on or off to indicate which scene is currently selected.
- Yes, I will find some shortcut to make Get Preset Names quicker to access. Don't know what it will look like yet.
- The existing song/preset/scene thing will still be available as an option, and can work in conjunction with this new method of doing things.

This will allow the "old way" of doing things, plus a lot more. For example @GreatGreen 's example above is no problem. @David Barrow's request will work using two button pages, one for presets, one for scenes. System resource usage is relatively low, no local button pages required.

That's my plan for the upcoming week! I don't know if I can get it done in one week - it's a sizable change - but it shouldn't be more than two weeks. In the meantime, keep the bug reports and comments coming!
Ron,

Thanks for the quick turnaround, ongoing support, and open dialog. It has to be tough managing 100000's of requests and ideas. Keep up the great work.

Ron I confirmed I had the AxeIII loaded, Prgm change =on, Send realtime sys= on. Everything works with two 5pin midis and power via the power supply direct to the MMGT

When I use the 7pin to the RJM dual power adapter I seem to be getting the midi out because the tempo flashes. However Any MMGT changes do not go to the Axe FXIII. I order the power adapter last week and it arrived with the midi in jack not screwed into the box. Not sure if it was a damaged unit?

Also: POTENTIAL BUG: I can't seem to get Save Settings to work at all in the system functions on the MMGT. Wanted to save my AXEIII settings. I rolled back to Firmware 4.0.1 and the save setting works fine.

Thanks for pointing that out, that one was easy to find and fix. Regarding the PPA, we will send you another one today.

If I want to power the GT22 for use with AxeFX III and I already have a 7-pin MIDI cable, can I just get the DIN7 power adapter with two MIDI inputs? My current single MIDI channel box doesn't work with the Axe-FX III.

If I want to power the GT22 for use with AxeFX III and I already have a 7-pin MIDI cable, can I just get the DIN7 power adapter with two MIDI inputs? My current single MIDI channel box doesn't work with the Axe-FX III.

Yes, you would just need to change the box out for the 2-input type.

I have the phantom power adapter from my AxeII and I am using that along with a 2nd 5 pin MIDI cable between the Axe3 and the GT and it appears to be working fine. Is there any reason why there would be issues? This at least saves using a wall wart for power. I plan to eventually get the 2 input box but if I can make this work in the mean time...

Also, anyone else having an issue with the Tap Tempo button. It is not allowing me to tap in a tempo - the tempo changes wildly with each press ranging between 78 and 250 but seems to have no relation to what I am tapping in. As well I am getting a faint tempo click through my outputs whenever the 2nd 5 pin cable is connected. Any ideas what could be causing this? I did a factory reset to the GT, loaded Default Buttons and loaded some presets but no other changes. Axe3 has Send Realtime Sysex and Program Change set to on. All other functionality seems to be working.

I have the phantom power adapter from my AxeII and I am using that along with a 2nd 5 pin MIDI cable between the Axe3 and the GT and it appears to be working fine. Is there any reason why there would be issues? This at least saves using a wall wart for power. I plan to eventually get the 2 input box but if I can make this work in the mean time...

Also, anyone else having an issue with the Tap Tempo button. It is not allowing me to tap in a tempo - the tempo changes wildly with each press ranging between 78 and 250 but seems to have no relation to what I am tapping in. As well I am getting a faint tempo click through my outputs whenever the 2nd 5 pin cable is connected. Any ideas what could be causing this? I did a factory reset to the GT, loaded Default Buttons and loaded some presets but no other changes. Axe3 has Send Realtime Sysex and Program Change set to on. All other functionality seems to be working.
Hello,
1-Try setting your Tap Tempo Setting on your Axe FX III to Average instead of Last Two.
2-Is your Axe FX III or Cables near a Computer? If they are they might be picking up noise from it.

Your second MIDI cable might not be shielded properly. MIDI is pretty noisy if you don't have good cables and good grounding.

Not sure about the tempo, will try it tomorrow and see, but last time I tested it it worked ok.

Yek was kind enough to send me his settings file so when I loaded it into the GT the Tap Tempo worked normally. I checked his settings against mine for the TT button and they were all identical so it doesn't make sense but happy that it works now. In playing around with my settings before I loaded his I realized that what it was doing was counting the press AND the release as taps as opposed to each tap of the button.

I am still getting the Tempo click coming through the output though. I read your suggestions above but I just want to make sure you understand it's not just noise, it's clearly a digital click in time with the AXE3 tempo light (and the GT flash) and is louder with higher gain or brightness so I don't think it has anything to do with being near computers. It is happening in different environments where there aren't any computer as well. If I unplug from the Remote In on the GT or turn Send Realtime Sysex off then it stops so it's definitely the AXE3 midi signal to the GT that is causing it. Weirdly, if I plug in the USB cable from the computer into the GT the clicking stops. It really sucks to have a chord fade away into a metronome. I don't really need the tempo to be sent to the GT as I normally watch the light on the AXE3 anyways so if I could even disable this feature without turning off Sysex that would be nice. I have tried turning off all Tempo functions on the button page but it seem to have no effect.

Another strange phenomenon is that every time I change presets(Songs) from the GT the Edited light on the AXE3 turns on even though I haven't touched any parameters. Changing presets directly on the AXE3 works normally. Is this normal?

So, it's definitely a grounding issue. Something isn't grounded properly and plugging in the USB cable is providing the needed ground. Definitely replace your cables. Using our phantom power box will likely help, because it adds additional grounding between the MIDI connections. The Kemper does something similar - it needs the phantom power box to not be noisy.

The digital click you're hearing is the MIDI data going down the cable - there's a MIDI message sent every time the tempo flashes, that's what makes the GT flash. If there isn't proper grounding and shielding, the MIDI signal will leak out. MIDI is a 5 volt signal, way stronger than normal audio.

I'm guessing scene selection is lighting the Edited light. The GT will send a scene selection message every time a preset is selected.

BUG REPORT

In the "Get Scenes" Mode:

I want a Scene button on the bottom row to operate as an effect IA (Filter 1) in IA Mode, including Channel Select (ABCD) on the HOLD function. For some reason Channel Select doesn't work. I can't figure out why, the button's IA Cycle is configured the same way as regular IAs.

Another question: is CC 58 reserved for Channel Select in each effect? It's a little confusing because the GT lists 58 as the Amp 1 CC.

BUG REPORT

In the "Get Scenes" Mode:

I want a Scene button on the bottom row to operate as an effect IA (Filter 1) in IA Mode, including Channel Select (ABCD) on the HOLD function. For some reason Channel Select doesn't work. I can't figure out why, the button's IA Cycle is configured the same way as regular IAs.

Another question: is CC 58 reserved for Channel Select in each effect? It's a little confusing because the GT lists 58 as the Amp 1 CC.

Please send me your current settings so I can investigate this one.

Check out the "Behind the Scenes" post - each CC is both effect on/off and channel select, based on the value you send with the CC.

Attached.

It was button 1: “Clean" scene, and controlling Filter 1 in IA Mode.

But changing the CC has fixed it. All okay now!

I was confused because somehow the CCs for Channel Select on page 1 have been changed in all IAs to CC 58, at some point during configuration or communication with the editor. Very weird. A bug somewhere.

Attachments

• Ron.rjs.zip
    39.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back