Minor issue with tempo display

Andy Power

the Tempo button syncs fine on my GT16/Axe III setup. But if I select display tempo the button then flashes very erratically and does not sync with the Axe III. - is this a bug?

Are you running the latest firmware (4.2)? That sounds like something I fixed in 4.2.

Hi guys, please could someone explain this - how do I access it to turn it on please.
  • In order to see the Poll State option in the Devices tab, you may need to set your device to a different type, like "Axe-Fx II", then set it back to "Axe-Fx III". You should only have to do this once.

Go to the Devices tab, and in the upper right where it says Model: Axe-Fx III, click it and select a different model (anything but Axe-Fx III). Now, click it again and select Axe-Fx III. If the Poll State option at the bottom of the window wasn't visible now, it should be now.

Go to the Devices tab, and in the upper right where it says Model: Axe-Fx III, click it and select a different model (anything but Axe-Fx III). Now, click it again and select Axe-Fx III. If the Poll State option at the bottom of the window wasn't visible now, it should be now.

Ah, thanks I didn’t realise it was the software the instructions were referring to
Cheers.

When the Poll State is on midi units connected to the Axe III will not boot up unless they are switched on before the Axe III is powered up... and if they somehow loose connection (it has happened) I have to switch the Axe III off and then switch the other units off/on and then then the Axe III. do I need the Poll State to be on? What does it do exactly?

When the Poll State is on midi units connected to the Axe III will not boot up unless they are switched on before the Axe III is powered up... and if they somehow loose connection (it has happened) I have to switch the Axe III off and then switch the other units off/on and then then the Axe III. do I need the Poll State to be on? What does it do exactly?

Poll State is the GT unit "polling" the status of the Axe-Fx III to keep the status of Presets, Scenes, Effects, etc. etc. current on the GT. So, if you want the semblance of bi-directional midi, yes, it must be on.

Poll State is the GT unit "polling" the status of the Axe-Fx III to keep the status of Presets, Scenes, Effects, etc. etc. current on the GT. So, if you want the semblance of bi-directional midi, yes, it must be on.

It's actually a little more complicated than that. With Poll State turned off, you can get bidirectional MIDI working in the sense that you can select a preset on the GT, and the correct scene and effect states will automatically update on the GT. Tempo and tuner will still work, too. The difference is that, when you have Poll State turned on, you can change things in the Axe-Fx or in Axe-Edit and those changes will automatically appear on the GT.

What other MIDI devices are you using? It sounds to me like a bug in those units. Poll State sends a burst of MIDI messages every 1/2 second. Those devices are probably not able to handle receiving MIDI messages as they're powering up.

It's actually a little more complicated than that. With Poll State turned off, you can get bidirectional MIDI working in the sense that you can select a preset on the GT, and the correct scene and effect states will automatically update on the GT. Tempo and tuner will still work, too. The difference is that, when you have Poll State turned on, you can change things in the Axe-Fx or in Axe-Edit and those changes will automatically appear on the GT.

So could I turn on Poll State when editing the Axe vie Axe edit etc and then after saving turn Poll State off?

Back