MASTERMIND GT FIRMWARE 4.2.3 / EDITOR 4.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a new release for the GT. This one fine tunes Axe-Fx 3 support and fixes the broken Axe-Fx 1/2 support.

SPECIAL AXE-FX III NOTES
  • Works best with Axe-Fx 1.18 beta or later
  • The recommended device settings when working with an Axe-Fx III are now:
    • Direct Send: OFF
    • Send Redundant PC: OFF
    • Poll State: ON
    • Ignore Incoming CC / Ignore Incoming PC: OFF
These are now the defaults when setting up a new GT. These should give the best results in most cases, although certain special cases will require different settings.​

• In order to see the Poll State option in the Devices tab, you may need to set your device to a different type, like "Axe-Fx II", then set it back to "Axe-Fx III". You should only have to do this once.

FEATURES
  • "Poll State" setting for the Axe-Fx III makes the GT query the Axe-Fx's state periodically so that any changes in the Axe-Fx or Axe-Edit will show up on the GT. This will work for effect block bypass and channels. If you also have "Ignore Incoming PC" turned off, it will also track preset and scene changes from the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit.
BUG FIXES
  • Fixed broken Axe-Fx I and II support
  • Fixed Remote Mode when using an Axe-Fx III
  • Fixed double flashes when Calc Tempo From Flashes is active
  • Allow non-Cycle buttons to properly sync with effect block channels
  • Fixed problem with IA Cycle buttons
  • Fixed issue with controlling the higher numbered Axe-Fx III effect blocks.
  • Fixed scene handing when "Direct Send' is turned off
NOTES / KNOWN ISSUES
  • If your GT presets are selecting both presets and scenes on the Axe-Fx (such as when using Get Preset Names / Create Songs), you will see it switch to scene 1, then to the desired scene every time you move to a new Axe-Fx preset. This is something I'm trying to work on with Fractal.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.1 or earlier, your GT will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind GT while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your GT. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/MMGT420.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/MMGTEditor-4.2.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/MMGTEditor-4.2.0.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Mastermind GT Manual-4.0.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Nothing happens when I keep Buttons 1 and 3 down???
Please help

Don’t know but that threw me for a loop at first. Then I watched one of the videos with pressing those two buttons and all became clear! Lol

David

Hi, maybe this is a newby question ...
I have tried for the first time to create and use a setlist. Created two setlists with the editor and sent them to the GT22. Then put the GT in setupmode. SETLIST showed ALL SONGS (not the two setlists I created).
When I press SETLIST all displays turn blank (white). When I get out of setup, it seems I activated the first setlist, but now I have no idea how to get out of it again. When I try to restore my earlier settings the editor has lost USB connection and I have to restart my laptop.
Am I missing something (most likely) or is this a bug (unlikely)?
Thx for any help here.

Hi, maybe this is a newby question ...
I have tried for the first time to create and use a setlist. Created two setlists with the editor and sent them to the GT22. Then put the GT in setupmode. SETLIST showed ALL SONGS (not the two setlists I created).
When I press SETLIST all displays turn blank (white). When I get out of setup, it seems I activated the first setlist, but now I have no idea how to get out of it again. When I try to restore my earlier settings the editor has lost USB connection and I have to restart my laptop.
Am I missing something (most likely) or is this a bug (unlikely)?
Thx for any help here.

To get out of it, enter setup mode and set Setlist to None.

I don't know of any issues with setlists right now, but I'll look into it. Please note that you need your setlist populated with songs and your songs populated with presets in order for song and setlist mode to do anything useful. Otherwise, you'll be stuck without the ability to use preset or bank buttons.

This happened only when I reboot the Axe. And it does it only once, after that it continue to behave with the same error, right scene in the Axe, and wrong on the GT.
This was all working in the Axe-Fx II.

Ok, in Devices, turn off Ignore Incoming PC, turn on Send Redundant PCs. You also have to turn off MIDI Merge, it interferes with the Axe-Fx III. I'll try to think of a solution for this, but for now the only way to get things to work between the Axe-Fx and GT is to turn it off.

EDIT: I realized that I was testing without using a phantom power box. You may be able to turn on MIDI Merge when using a phantom power box to combine the two MIDI connections into one. Don't have one with me to test at the moment, but it should be ok.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron, it's working even with midi merge On and Bidirectional Midi. But it makes surface an older problem I explained here earlier:

I have to check Ignore Incoming PC to on. If I leave it to off, when I'm sending a PC with a IA switch and I want to stay on the same GT preset, the GT switch to another preset.
For an example this IA switch send PC 35 when on, and back to PC 18 when off. When I kick the IA my Axe goes to preset 35, but the GT goes to preset 36 that is programed to recall preset 35!!! I don't get how this is possible, maybe a buG?
On my Axe Send PC is off. Ignore Redundant PC to on.

ATM I have to choose what is the best to deal with. Hoping I can have both options solved. Maybe you could deactivate the GT changing PC when we have a IA with a dedicated PC send. If we want the GT to go to a specific program number, we can always use Action Type: System, and Sub Type: Preset. So nobody would loose a functionality.

ATM I have to choose what is the best to deal with. Hoping I can have both options solved. Maybe you could deactivate the GT changing PC when we have a IA with a dedicated PC send. If we want the GT to go to a specific program number, we can always use Action Type: System, and Sub Type: Preset. So nobody would loose a functionality.

When Poll State is on and Ignore Incoming PC is off, the GT just keeps asking the Axe-Fx what preset it's on. When it detects that the Axe-Fx's preset has changed, it searches for the GT preset that is associated with the new Axe-Fx preset. That's how the GT can follow changes in the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit.

I think the correct solution is to improve the handling of scenes when Ignore Incoming PC is turned on. Currently, when it's turned on, the GT doesn't look at scenes at all. It probably should synchronize scene buttons, but not try to change GT presets.

Last edited:
I understand, thanks for the inside explanations and for the continuous improvements.

To get out of it, enter setup mode and set Setlist to None.

I don't know of any issues with setlists right now, but I'll look into it. Please note that you need your setlist populated with songs and your songs populated with presets in order for song and setlist mode to do anything useful. Otherwise, you'll be stuck without the ability to use preset or bank buttons.
For those of who might run into this problem as well: it turned out to be a problem with power supply and, as Ron suggested, I was able to solve it by building a cable with slightly thicker wires.
This was'nt straight forward, because I did not experience power problems at all, untill I started using the setlist. Ron explained that, when the setlist is switched on, in setup mode, all displays turn white. And white displays draw much more current than the other colors. Makes sense, right?

Hello. Axe-FX III user and I just got my Mastermind GT 16. Love it so far but I am having a minor issue that I am sure is a configuration parameter that I missed. I can't get the tuner to update on the GT 16. It turns on and I can see the tuner on the AXE III and the GT 16 shows tuner but a "?" is in the middle of the screen. I double checked the settings and all looks right as I have been searching the forum regarding solutions etc.... Preset updates are also not coming across. I am using a 5pin Planet Waves Midi cable. Midi data seems not to be accepted and or sent from the AXE III. Midi Receive channel....?

Keep MIDI receive channel set to None. You need two cables between the GT and Axe-Fx III (or a connection using a phantom power box), otherwise bidirectional features like the tuner, effect status updates, downloading preset names, etc. will not work. If you download the latest user manual from the top post in this thread, it has a few pages specifically on setting up with the Axe-Fx.

FINALLY got to start on updating with a week off from gigs and the new bidirectional adapter in. Downloaded new firmware (mmgt423.rtf), did a factory reset on MMGT 22, updated. It looks to have updated and shows 4.2.3 in the System Info window, but the first window in the second row from the bottom is showing "MMGTB Boot V1.0 Awaiting Download" and will not clear. Tried to reload, shows the same thing. As far as I can tell, this is also blanking the rest of the windows in that row, which keeps me from trying another factory reset.

Can someone help on this?

Could it be a Bad USB Stick? ... I had a similar problem a while back and that’s what it was....
It worked and then one day it didn’t....
I used a different USB Stick and it worked perfect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back