Switching Channels Axe FX3 and GT

79_Limited

On page 19 of the manual it says to use CC values 1 - 4 to select channels A - D.

Two questions:

1) How do you set up the Hold function to switch between the channels
2) Can you name each channel as a sub name on the LCD screen?

I recommend going into the Buttons tab, clicking on a button, selecting Assign CC > Axe-Fx III > and whatever function you want it to control. It will set up the button to turn the effect on and off when pressed, and will change channels when held. The channels will be labeled "A", "B", "C", "D" by default, but you can edit the button's hold function and select IA Cycle Steps at the bottom, which allows you to rename each step/channel.

I must be doing something wrong. For example, I want to change channels on a drive block. When I hold the button the channels do not change. I am only able to toggle the button on and off.

You should have Drive 1 at the top of the button display, and the channel name at the bottom. Does the channel name show up?

The names look good. I just can't get the Drive to change to channels 1, 2, 3, & 4 when using the Hold function. Is this something I need to setup manually? I attached a pic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 8.49.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 8.49.15 PM.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 11
Looks like I need to set up a Hold button like this. Still no luck with being able to turn the block On/Off and to be able to switch channels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.33.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.33.05 PM.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 9
Looks like I need to set up a Hold button like this. Still no luck with being able to turn the block On/Off and to be able to switch channels.

Like Ron wrote, the GT does this automatically for you when using the correct entries in the hardware (Edit Devices > Assign Buttons) or editor (right click button, choose Assign CC).

Doing it manually is much more difficult.

You need to put System / Step actions between each action on your hold button. Attached is a screenshot of how the right click / Assign CC command sets it up.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 8.22.38 AM.png

Ron can you add this to the tutorial setup in the Sticky? This is still not working and not really intuitive at due to the multiple steps now required. I feel like I am only plugging in half of the information.

Maybe start with setting up a basic block to toggle on/off and then progress to change the channels?

I did assign my buttons again after reading the sticky tutorial you just posted. It all looks correct but still not working.

Thanks for the help.

So, are you saying that the right click / Assign CC / Axe-Fx III / Drive 1 process doesn't work? That takes a couple of seconds and is all that's required.

I believe in earlier versions of 4.0 in IA mode the button turned into an IA Cycle button for me. So I stopped using IA since I upgraded to GT22 (layout is still a work in progress). I just added IA Mode button and all the blocks drop down into the A B C D select mode for both Normal and IA Modes.

I am running 4.2.2 with a fresh file with some ideas i got from debugging another member's file. Its a quick way to test and you might get some great ideas! Or backup your file and try to load one with the default button page. Right click the page and select Assign Default Buttons > Axe 3.

Ron I got it working so it’s all good now. I reassigned the buttons in the setup again and all of the commands are there now.

I do like how the channels pop up as their own buttons when you press the hold button. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I’ll report back if I have any more issues.

Ron I got it working so it’s all good now. I reassigned the buttons in the setup again and all of the commands are there now.

I do like how the channels pop up as their own buttons when you press the hold button. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I’ll report back if I have any more issues.

Glad to hear it's working!

Ron can you double check my attached file? For example, look at the Chorus block I am working on (Tri, CE-2, Triangle, Vintage channels). Playing on it tonight I've got the channels switching and window names working fine.

Only 2 issues:

1) I can't seem to toggle the effect block on/off (bypass) - I can turn on the block but can not turn it off
2) When the effect block is off I would like to use a gray color for off and blue for on. Right now the color does not change.

Once I get this sorted I will understand the concept and be able to do the whole pedalboard.

Attachments

• Axe FX III.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Turn off IA Cycle on the normal function, but leave it on on the Hold Function. That should fix it. You had it defined as a cycle button, but there's only one step defined - when you press the button, it doesn't have any other thing to switch to. Turning off IA Cycle makes the main function a normal on/off function.

Back