Mogami 2314 vs 2319

joel

I was wondering if anyone has used either or possibly both of these? It seems the 2314 is much easier to use in routing around a pedal board but the 2319 possibly is made to handle better interference rejection. What does everyone generally use on their boards around here?

Can't speak to 2314 as I've been using Mogami 2319 exclusively on my board builds. Very happy with it and never had any pliability issues at all.

Last edited:
I have used both extensively (I wire pedalboards for guitarists on the side). I prefer and generally try to use 2319 for the extra protection it gives, and would highly recommend it for anyone not locking their cables down solidly on their pedalboards. There are applications where the 2314 is necessary however (such as when using the new Squareplug SPS4 plugs), and in those cases it has worked great for me.

As a side note to painoman's comments which I agree, the SP500 will take the 2319 just fine. SP400, the smaller diameter cable should be used.

I have used both extensively (I wire pedalboards for guitarists on the side). I prefer and generally try to use 2319 for the extra protection it gives, and would highly recommend it for anyone not locking their cables down solidly on their pedalboards. There are applications where the 2314 is necessary however (such as when using the new Squareplug SPS4 plugs), and in those cases it has worked great for me.

It's a good thing I asked- I've been planning on using the squareplug (sps4's in fact). Will the SPS5's accomodate 2319?

One thing I was also wondering about specifically is that I was thinking of using Switchcraft 236 plugs for insert cables on the bottom stereo loops on the mastermind pbc and was wondering if the thicker cable might make it more difficult to get all of those plugs to fit.

It's a good thing I asked- I've been planning on using the squareplug (sps4's in fact). Will the SPS5's accomodate 2319?

Really?

236's, depending on the cable you use will work. I mill the ends on them when making insert cables many times.

Last edited:
Really?

236's, depending on the cable you use will work. I mill the ends on them when making insert cables many times.
That's where I was thinking the 2319 might make it cramped. Do you have to shorten the 236's?

As a side note to painoman's comments which I agree, the SP500 will take the 2319 just fine. SP400, the smaller diameter cable should be used.

I'd respectfully disagree with the latter statement. I found that 2314 was actually a little too small for SP400 plugs, and didn't give much strain relief. When I've needed to use 2314 with SP400s, I've ended up using heat shrink on every cable to increase the diameter a bit and make it hold a little better. True, 2319 is a hair larger than recommended, but the jacket has always nicely compacted, and I've yet to hear of a single connection going bad.

One thing I was also wondering about specifically is that I was thinking of using Switchcraft 236 plugs for insert cables on the bottom stereo loops on the mastermind pbc and was wondering if the thicker cable might make it more difficult to get all of those plugs to fit.

SP5s will work with 2319 for sure, but they probably won't be out for a few months at least. I haven't heard any recent news on when they're to be released.

Up to this point, I've always used 236 plugs for PBC stereo loops. It is a bit of a tight squeeze getting the cable out and running where you need it, but it does work with the standard sleeves. (See my wiring business Instagram page for some pictures of how it's worked for previous builds.) I use 2528 cable for stereo input/output connections, or for function switch connections where I need to split the cable off in two different directions. For mono pedals in the stereo loops, 2319 or 2314 will work fine. Just make sure you add a wire to connect the tip and sleeve so that you don't lose one side of your signal.

No, I mill the inner diameter of the ends to enlarge them. It takes seconds to do this, and there's plenty of meat on the ends. It will increase the ease of building cables and creating a relief for strained cables forced through a small opening.

Though you totally blew off my comments, I'll still help. I'm assuming you don't have an mill. Just use a drill and vise. If you don't have a vise, get one. I wouldn't suggest trying to hold a cap in your hand to increase the diameter. Nor would I use a pair of vise grips or something to hold the piece.

1)Use one of the 236's base's as a sacrificial part before you attempt to drill the caps.
2)Screw the cap onto the end base you're using as the sacrifice.
3)Place the cap in the vise and clamp. You're using a sacrificial base repeatedly as you don't want to crush the cap in the vise. If you don't, and clamp the cap only and deform it, you're not going to be able to screw caps back onto the bases.
4)Reuse the one sacrificial base. I'd consider it your sacrificial piece as using a drill bit to drill down into the center of the cap. At some point, the drill bit will go down into the solder ends and damage that piece. No worries though...just keep re-using that base piece. It's going to be the only one you'll ever damage then.
5)After you drill the cap, countersink the end so it is deburred. This way the opened hole does not have a sharp edge which will cut your cable over time. Here's an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-1-2-in-Titanium-Countersink-Drill-Bit-CST1/203530165

I'd respectfully disagree with the latter statement. I found that 2314 was actually a little too small for SP400 plugs, and didn't give much strain relief. When I've needed to use 2314 with SP400s, I've ended up using heat shrink on every cable to increase the diameter a bit and make it hold a little better. True, 2319 is a hair larger than recommended, but the jacket has always nicely compacted, and I've yet to hear of a single connection going bad.

I'm unsure where we were not in agreement with the SP400's and the 2314? You've even stated in your first statement "There are applications where the 2314 is necessary however (such as when using the new Squareplug SPS4 plugs), and in those cases it has worked great for me" No argument just not sure where we are not on the same page.

Regarding SP500's, they are in stock at Redco reseller, I'd think the manufacture would have them as well unless they shipped out all their stock to the resellers and awaiting fulfillment.

Hopefully my tips that were given to OP helps you as well. If you haven't considered modifying the 236, it will help you with your builds as you've noted the "tight squeeze" comments.

Last edited:
I'm unsure where we were not in agreement with the SP400's and the 2314? You've even stated in your first statement "There are applications where the 2314 is necessary however (such as when using the new Squareplug SPS4 plugs), and in those cases it has worked great for me" No argument just not sure where we are not on the same page.

Regarding SP500's, they are in stock at Redco reseller, I'd think the manufacture would have them as well unless they shipped out all their stock to the resellers and awaiting fulfillment.

It was with SP400s and 2319 that I disagreed. You suggested that 2314 should be used, and my experience has been that both work, but 2319 is better, as 2314 needs some heat shrink to increase the diameter to a point that there is reliable strain relief, while 2319 does not. Sorry for not being clear enough!

It was with SP400s and 2319 that I disagreed. You suggested that 2314 should be used, and my experience has been that both work, but 2319 is better, as 2314 needs some heat shrink to increase the diameter to a point that there is reliable strain relief, while 2319 does not. Sorry for not being clear enough!

I don't think we were ever in disagreeing though...you were just disagreeing with your first comment where you stated the 2314's worked well with the SP400's though added later that you felt the 2319's work better with the SP400's lol. Have you considered milling your 236's to help build your insert cables? As mentioned, I use a mill in my shop. Most won't have access to those...but a drill and vise can work well too. Hope your business does well. What type of soldering equipment do you use? I use a weller WD1002 with chemtronics liquid flux. I have them by the quarts but do production work...so it may be a bit overkill for you.

Hope this post helps others too.

I don't think we were ever in disagreeing though...you were just disagreeing with your first comment where you stated the 2314's worked well with the SP400's though added later that you felt the 2319's work better with the SP400's lol. Have you considered milling your 236's to help build your insert cables? As mentioned, I use a mill in my shop. Most won't have access to those...but a drill and vise can work well too. Hope your business does well. What type of soldering equipment do you use? I use a weller WD1002 with chemtronics liquid flux. I have them by the quarts but do production work...so it may be a bit overkill for you.

Hope this post helps others too.

I apologize for both misunderstanding you and not being clear enough in what I was saying.

To clarify, I'm not disagreeing with myself. When using SP400s, 2319 works great on its own. 2314 does work fine, but only (IMO) if you use heat shrink to increase its diameter. For the reason that you don't need the extra step of adding heat shrink, I generally recommend 2319.

I haven't seriously considered milling my 236s. If I had a thick enough wire that it caused issues, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I haven't had any trouble threading the wire through that would justify it.

I don't remember the brand of my soldering iron off the top of my head. It's a pretty standard variable temp iron that I've had for probably 7-8 years now.

Gotcha PianoMan.

To the OP, you may also consider as well as Bestronics connectors, you may consider their cable. From spec, CA-0678 outperforms 2319. I've used extensively all three cables, and honestly, I prefer Bestronics cable over the two Mogami discussed regarding form and function. Cable itself is another whole other discussion.

SP5s will work with 2319 for sure, but they probably won't be out for a few months at least. I haven't heard any recent news on when they're to be released.

Up to this point, I've always used 236 plugs for PBC stereo loops. It is a bit of a tight squeeze getting the cable out and running where you need it, but it does work with the standard sleeves. (See my wiring business Instagram page for some pictures of how it's worked for previous builds.) I use 2528 cable for stereo input/output connections, or for function switch connections where I need to split the cable off in two different directions. For mono pedals in the stereo loops, 2319 or 2314 will work fine. Just make sure you add a wire to connect the tip and sleeve so that you don't lose one side of your signal.

Yeah, I meant 2528 cable for use with the 236's (I was out late seeing Lindsey Buckingham and hadn't had my morning coffee).

Gotcha PianoMan.

To the OP, you may also consider as well as Bestronics connectors, you may consider their cable. From spec, CA-0678 outperforms 2319. I've used extensively all three cables, and honestly, I prefer Bestronics cable over the two Mogami discussed regarding form and function. Cable itself is another whole other discussion.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

2528 cable is I believe slightly larger then the 236 accepts. It may be a too tight fit for your comfort level. As mentioned, there's quite a few to consider. From spec, it's a ~.319" diameter overall cable, the 236 accepts .25" which is obviously slightly smaller. So here's a time where modifying the 236 caps are probably a good idea. I don't use 2528 so I'm only looking at spec numbers for reference. For boards, I still prefer Bestronics cable over Magomi (which cap modification is desirable IMHO)...we're talking insert cables, not singular for 236's. Now for the guitar connection wire(which your not asking about)...but figure I'll mention since it's on my mind now... I like Mogami 2524 AND Sommercable Spirit LLX which is SUPER low capacitance (sommer LLX) over the rest. Its a definitive clarity difference due to the low capacitance as most use cables 15+ feet. Capacitance is far less relevant over short distances, active pickups and buffers. Completely off topic but o well :).

Redco shows the SPS5's in stock: https://www.redco.com/Squareplug-SPS5-Short-Body-Straight-TS-Connector.html

2528 cable is I believe slightly larger then the 236 accepts. It may be a too tight fit for your comfort level. As mentioned, there's quite a few to consider. From spec, it's a ~.319" diameter overall cable, the 236 accepts .25" which is obviously slightly smaller. So here's a time where modifying the 236 caps are probably a good idea. I don't use 2528 so I'm only looking at spec numbers for reference. For boards, I still prefer Bestronics cable over Magomi (which cap modification is desirable IMHO)...we're talking insert cables, not singular for 236's. Now for the guitar connection wire(which your not asking about)...but figure I'll mention since it's on my mind now... I like Mogami 2524 AND Sommercable Spirit LLX which is SUPER low capacitance (sommer LLX) over the rest. Its a definitive clarity difference due to the low capacitance as most use cables 15+ feet. Capacitance is far less relevant over short distances, active pickups and buffers. Completely off topic but o well :).

You use Mogami 2524 AND Sommercable Spirit LLX for insert cables?

You use Mogami 2524 AND Sommercable Spirit LLX for insert cables?

Lol, no, that was as stated an off topic comment. I was making a note that I prefer bestronics over magomi on boards with the exception of the actual guitar to amp input cable, which I do use Magomi 2524 and Sommer LLX cables. I noted that actually as I didn't want you to think I was just a fanboy of Bestronics. I also noted earlier Redco does in fact have SP500 in stock and I called to verify earlier and they do indeed have them.

Back