I'm getting SUPER close now. Volume drop in loop 10.

td2243

Finally got my custom pedalboard build after several months of waiting and have spent days wiring everything up. I'm almost at 100% functionality. Here's what I have going on now.

Loop 7 - Overdrive pedal - Mono in/out
Loop 8 - Delay-ish pedal - Mono in/out
Loop 9 - Dimension C chorus - stereo to mono cable IN/TRS-Y out
Loop 10 - Ventris Reverb - TRS-Y In/TRS-Y Out

I'm running stereo and when the Loop 9 is engaged the stereo effect works 100% (sounds gorgeous).

When Loop 10 is engaged, the stereo effect works, but there is a volume drop AND it Loop 9 seems to get disengaged (not off, just the stereo signal disappears).

I have Kill Dry set on the Ventris, and all loops are set to series (and will always be). Any ideas what I should do? Thanks for the help.

Daniel

Another idea is maybe I should run parallel? If that is the case, I would need stereo disconnects on the SEND of loop 7 & 8, correct? That still doesn't explain the volume drop and canceling of the Loop 9 chorus, or does it?

IF you're running all loops in series, don't set any pedal to kill dry. That should only be used if you're running it in parallel.

I'm still getting a mega volume drop and cancellation of the Loop 9 chorus.

I've discovered that when I take the jacks out of Loop 10, there is no volume drop when 10 is engaged. So something is happening with the signal going into the Ventris.

Last edited:
If the problem only happens when both the chorus and reverb are on, I suspect that it's a phase issue. A lot of chorus pedals have one output out of phase with the other. The reverb pedal may be summing its inputs together, which would cause phase cancellation. The only way to get around that is to find a different chorus (or reverb) that doesn't have that problem, or to run the chorus in mono.

Here's another strange discovery. I am using both A & B outputs, but when Output A is disengaged, the volume comes back to normal. Obviously, the stereo effect disappears, but so does the volume problem.

Yeah, this sounds like a phase issue.
Yep, @td2243, sounds like your stereo chorus flips the phase of one output when in stereo (I have and TC Electronic SCF that does the same thing and causes the same issues).

The only stereo chorus I know for sure that doesn't flip phase is the Ola by Strymon. I'm currently using it in stereo, and it's perfect.

Woohoo! Solved that issue. It was a knob on the back of the amp that controls the wet/dry ratio. It somehow was turned way too wet and the signal was just loosing all UMPH.

New question, which is probably a much easier solution.

In loops 7-10, when I turn on a loop, it cancels out any loops before it in 7-10. For instance, if I turn on Loop 8, Loop 7 is canceled out. Loop 9 cancels out 7 & 8. Loop 10 cancels out 7, 8, & 9.

Is that because a ring disconnect is need from the send of 7,8 &9 because they are mono in's on those pedals?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's happening there. Are you running the effects in series or parallel?

You are going to have a problem if you're running a stereo output pedal into a mono input pedal. At best, you're going to lose half of the signal. Your first pedal can be mono input, but the other ones really need to be stereo input, unless you run them in parallel, or only use them one at a time.

The Stereo pedals are (after the mono pedals) in loop 9 & 10, but loop 9 has mono input & stereo out.

Would a ring disconnect into the inputs of 7, 8, & 9 solve this and also allow everything to be in series as well? I have mono to stereo conversion cables coming OUT of 7 & 8. TRS coming out of 9 & 10.

Back