MIDI Signal Chain & MEG vs Alternatives

Dallas

Revisiting a hybrid setup, consisting of my Kemper, GT22 and pedals. I do currently use the RJM 5pin to 7pin Power Injector and would like to continue doing so. I own a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander that I got for a bargain in hopes of setting this up, but I found it confusing to program. Two questions:

1. I've heard it said that, when used with the RJM Editor, the Mini Effects Gizmo is the best option out of a few that are essentially designed to do the same thing at a lower price point. What, specifically, is easier about the use of the MEG as opposed to something like the D11 Loop Expander or the Morningstar ML5? I don't mind springing for the MEG as long as it actually is easier to program with my GT22 and the RJM Editor; I'm just unclear of how it is easier. Please advise. Links below for reference.

https://decibel11.com/products_loop_expander.aspx
https://www.morningstarfx.com/ml5

2. Assuming that the answer to #1, above, is "Yes, the MEG is, in fact, easier to use for the following reasons..." - Let's say that I buy the MEG and run some pedals AND want to use Bi-directional Midi/Slave Mode. Can the Midi signal chain go GT22 > MEG > Kemper, or does it have to go GT22 > Kemper > MEG? I would prefer the former, so that I can more easily keep the pedals on my board without excess and expensive cable runs. If GT22 > MEG > Kemper is not optimal, does that mean that I'm probably actually better off with a PBC than a GT22/MEG combo?

Last edited:
I've never used those other products, so I can't offer any input on them.

If you want to use the bidirectional features of the Kemper (tuner, for example), you will need the GT 22 connected directly to the Kemper, with no other devices in between (aside from a phantom power box). A good solution for your dilemma is to use a second MIDI cable from the XLR MIDI output or standard MIDI output (whichever one you're not currently using) to connect to the MEG. With that, you can connect directly to the MEG on the pedalboard, and also directly to the Kemper.

Thanks Ron, that's a good idea. Didn't even think about that. One of those cases where I didn't even realize the usefulness of the abundance of outs on the GT22. Looking forward to this!

I've never used those other products, so I can't offer any input on them.

If you want to use the bidirectional features of the Kemper (tuner, for example), you will need the GT 22 connected directly to the Kemper, with no other devices in between (aside from a phantom power box). A good solution for your dilemma is to use a second MIDI cable from the XLR MIDI output or standard MIDI output (whichever one you're not currently using) to connect to the MEG. With that, you can connect directly to the MEG on the pedalboard, and also directly to the Kemper.

@rjmmusic On that note: again, I'm phantom powering the GT22. If I use a 7pin midi cable from GT22 to MEG on my board, will the MEG still be safely powered sufficiently and safely? I guess I don't want to mess anything up power-wise, or put too much strain on the initial power injector.

@rjmmusic On that note: again, I'm phantom powering the GT22. If I use a 7pin midi cable from GT22 to MEG on my board, will the MEG still be safely powered sufficiently and safely? I guess I don't want to mess anything up power-wise, or put too much strain on the initial power injector.

A MEG is fairly low in current draw, the GT supply should be able to handle it.

Back