Bi-Directional with Ableton/DAW

Bi-Directional has changed the game for me when it comes to MIDI and the Kemper! As I got to thinking, the other thing I use my GT22 to do is to control Ableton. How possible would it be to use Bi-Directional MIDI (over USB) with Ableton or another DAW?

It would be killer to scroll scenes in Session View or Locators in Arrangement View and have the currently selected title display on the GT. On the Ableton side of things, I'm pretty sure you could get it to report the text, and if not natively, by using Max For Live I'm sure it could work. Any ideas? Just throwing some thoughts out there!

The limitation of this is dependant on the Daw. I dont think ableton sends basic midi messages for most of its commands. I am pretty sure you would have to write a control surface script to get ableton to translate all its messages into a midi format that the mmgt can respond to. A monumental task that requires more programming than I could even fathom. I use mine as a daw controller, but i use it in basic form and typically create a midi track to send messages I want. Having the button states sync with locators and other commands is possible but a HUGE undertaking. Max4L may make it possible, I gave up on m4l years ago, I found it buggy. Of course, things may have changed... let us know how you come along with the idea... I use mine with Reaper a LOT as well. I did have some luck in abletons session view by creating a midi control track for the mmgt. Reaper also has a LOT of ability. I actually found Reaper to be better at handling most messages that are more involved than just basic midi.

Back