H9 Pre/Post question

rockgod78

Hi guys,

Hopefully you can help!

I want to get rid of my whammy pedal out of my rack to make some space and alleviate some weight. I’m going to be getting a h9 soon so was going to use the pitch shifting on the H9 and use the Evenmidi Pitchy box as a way to call whammy presets easily using the pitch factor algorithm. The H9 will be in one of my rjm loops that go in to the fx loop of my amp but pitch is obviously better as close to the guitar signal as possible.

So if I use pre post on the H9 I’m thinking I can set the pitch factor to pre and plug my guitar into input1 then output 1 into the main input of the pbc but then use input/output 2 into one of the loops on the pbc so the algorithms I set to post will be routed through the fx loop of my amp.

I just wanted to check if this was right before I get the Evenmidi Pitchy and sell my whammy!

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance!

That seems to be a logical approach. The H9 has the ability can go into bypass mode to be more transparent, though if you're going to use the H9 in other scenario's you're not going to be able to directly bypass that pedal on the pre side. I'm not sure what tonal changes may be present (if that matters to you). If you have an open loop in the PBC, you can place at loop 1 so your guitar signal doesn't have to pass through the H9 pre side if you're not using it.

For that matter, the H9 preamp side could go further down the loops and still be first in line as long as you're not using those initial first loops during that portion of playing. For example, if you had a phaser in loop 1, you could still use the H9 pre side in loop two. As long as you're not using the phaser, it's bypassed therefore the H9 is still first in line.

Good luck!

@rockgod78 you might get a ground loop in that scenario (pre/post with an amp's efx loop). I'm doing pre/post with the Mobius in the same way. When you get the H9 try hooking it up the way you're describing and if you do get a ground loop you'll have to add an isolation transformer on the In and Out connections of the H9 Post signal path.

@JimGtr Good point. A ground loop can be corrected with an isolation transformer or a ground lift cable. Since you're not running in stereo, the iso transformer on the PBC B output may work for you as well. I always have in my toolbox both a ground lift cable as well as a iso transformer like an ebtech. As mentioned, the PBC b output with iso transformer may be all you'll need.

Thanks guys! The ground loop thing with the iso should be ok I think. I didn’t think about the bypass thing. I’ve checked and there are 3 options for bypass anyway so it shouldn’t be too bad. I’m not too fussed about it being in one of the pbc loops but I’ll have a think about placement. If I did keep it out side of the pbc, will I need to send a midi command to bypass it though when I change from one preset to another?

Yes, the H9 can be controlled for CC commands to react for bypass mode. You can set one of the H9 buttons to do this too BUT the PBC is designed very nicely to control functionality so you're not tap dancing on different pedals.

Back