Will Mastermind PBC manage Fractal Audio fx 3

Lars Bøgh

I've made a decision replacing my tube amp setup, Rivera S120-212, with a Fractal Audio Fx 3 setup. My question is: what are the benefits (if any) of replacing my Mastermind PBC with a Mastermind Gt16, in this case? - I believe I'm still able to control the presets/scenes/blocks via the Mastermind PBC? - I've seen a video where the setup of Fx3 into a gt 22, is fully automated, transfer of preset names / scene names etc. - This part maybe not possible with the PBC?

Full control isn't available yet. You can do basic things - select presets, scenes, etc. but there's no communication back from the Axe-Fx to the GT. This will be available in the 4.1 firmware release, which should be available in a couple of weeks.

What about Mastermind PBC? - will you be able to do the same communication with this, as for the GT?

Sorry about that, I meant to say PBC. Support on the GT is hopefully going to be finished this week, PBC a week or two after that.

Bringing this up from the past, I've just picked up the Axe FX 3 for fly shows and practices. Does the PBC 10 now fully integrate with the Axe FX3 unit now? Similar instructions as you've shown here right?

What type of advances or improvements can be utilized with the newer firmware 4.2.

Setup is a bit different with the Axe-Fx 3 vs the Axe-Fx II, but those instructions are mostly correct. There are a few pages in the LT manual dealing specifically with setup with an Axe-Fx 3.

Setup is a bit different with the Axe-Fx 3 vs the Axe-Fx II, but those instructions are mostly correct. There are a few pages in the LT manual dealing specifically with setup with an Axe-Fx 3.

To be clear, if it's slightly different, should I follow the LT manual then for the PBC and the Axe-FX 3?

Also since I’m not phantom powering anything I should only need two 5 pin midi from the pbc out/in to the axe-fx 3 in/out right?

Another question: "get preset names", I see that in on the LCD screen during the video, but can't find it in the editor. You skipped that part on the video, I did look for it through the editor but can't seem to find it. Where is it?

Last edited:
Ah, ok, I read too fast and missed the PBC part. Yes, the LT manual instructions will work for the PBC as well.

Yes, 2 5-pin MIDI cables will do the job.

The get preset names feature is only available on the PBC itself. You'll need to do that, then read your settings into the editor.

The 5 pin midi cables don't need to be 5 lead right?...offhand pins, 1,3 carries current, so I'm guessing that's not needed for this application. ..just making sure I'm touching all concerns before I connect it all up (and for anyone else needing to reference this thread).

Correct, in this case each MIDI connection is standard, using only pins 2, 4 and 5. "3 pin active" cables are fine. (Axe-Fx I and II are a different story...)

Correct, in this case each MIDI connection is standard, using only pins 2, 4 and 5. "3 pin active" cables are fine. (Axe-Fx I and II are a different story...)
I am having an issue here after following the YouTube video tutorial . I just got the axe fx3 mark 2. and when I try to download the preset name , it cannot be loaded into the pbc, it says press key to stop , but I don't know where is the key button. So end up I have to unplug the power supply and try it again . tried a few times and it didn't work..... any tips ?

It means "press any key". I think any button on the GT would stop the process. For certain, the small ones under the main screen would.

If it's not working, check your MIDI settings on the Axe-Fx - make sure the channel matches the channel selected in the GT's Devices settings. Also make sure Program Change is turned on and PC Mapping is turned off.

followed your instruction and tried but it's still not working ...

Attachments

• 20210427_231252.jpg
    20210427_231252.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210427_231310.jpg
    20210427_231310.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
I think I see only one MIDI cable plugged into the PBC. Do you have a phantom power box or other means of combining the two Axe-Fx connections into one? And, if so, do you have Bidirectional MIDI turned on in the PBC?

I think I see only one MIDI cable plugged into the PBC. Do you have a phantom power box or other means of combining the two Axe-Fx connections into one? And, if so, do you have Bidirectional MIDI turned on in the PBC?
thanks for spotting it out. first time using midi connection .
just one more thing , i know the video has already walk through the set up , but for now , when i change the scenes, i noticed i just need to step on the toggle switch one time to go from scene 1 to 2 , but when i would like to go to the other way round , i will need to step 2 - 3 times in order to get back to scene 1 , is there anything that i need to set in the software itself ?

Make sure IA Link is turned on for all scene buttons, and group is set to none.
thanks for spotting it out. first time using midi connection .
just one more thing , i know the video has already walk through the set up , but for now , when i change the scenes, i noticed i just need to step on the toggle switch one time to go from scene 1 to 2 , but when i would like to go to the other way round , i will need to step 2 - 3 times in order to get back to scene 1 , is there anything that i need to set in the software itself ?

Back