Mastermind PBC Firmware 4.2.1 / Editor 4.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the final release of 4.2.0. This one has been in beta for a good while, but we finally have it all working (I hope???)

FEATURES:
  • Mastermind PBC/6X support. This is the vast majority of the changes, lots of work required!
  • Support for Meris pedals, Chase Bliss Dark World, Line 6 Helix LT, HX Effects and HX Stomp
  • New audio setting "Any button dismisses tuner" does what it says
  • New action: System / Set IA. This one allows one IA button turn another on or off. IA buttons now have an IA number, and Set IA uses that to determine which IAs to turn on or off. This is one of those features where it can be really helpful or can cause trouble depending on how you try to use it. With great power comes great responsibility! At least, the system will prevent improperly configured Set IAs from causing an infinite loop, so you shouldn't be able to hang the system
  • Editor now has the ability to do firmware updates on units that support it. This is any PBC or LT made in March 2019 or later. Older units can be updated to allow this feature, but it's not an update I would want end users to do, it's a bit tricky. I'm trying to figure out a solution for customers outside of the US.
BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed a bug where expression pedals and external switches didn't work when the tuner was active
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the Kemper tuner from being visible when using it in slave mode
BUG FIXES FROM BETAS:
  • Fixed button misbehavior due to using lots of Set IA actions
  • Fixed crash when selecting Tuner Out in editor when you have a mono output
  • Fixed IA Link error involving internal and external switches linked together
  • Probably more things I fixed, but forgot to mention here
FIXES IN VERSION 4.2.1:
  • Fixed a bug where tuner wouldn't work when buffer is turned off (PBC/6X)
  • Fixed a bug that prevented function switches from working in momentary mode (PBC/6X)
  • Removed indicator and references to output 2 when the output is set to mono (PBC/6X)
  • Changed references to "Stereo input" and "Stereo output" to "Stereo return" and "Stereo send", which are less ambiguous (PBC/6X)
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the Insert button from accurately displaying insert loop state (PBC/6X)
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.1 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM421.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.2.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.2.0.zip

PBC/6X Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.2.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki (not yet updated for 4.2)

Last edited:
Getting a "404 Not Found" error when trying to download the firmware above!

EDIT: Regular web page download section works fine...I guess it's just the link above.

Ron, I've got things up and running on 4.2.0. Set IA seems to be working great (it even worked when I had a million Set IAs in there, but since then, I've slimmed it down and have WAY less).

I've found a bug (it actually existed prior to this as well). On my Page 1, when I go into IA Mode via a button on that page, the names of the OTHER buttons on that page (that were already IA buttons) don't display correctly on the display when pressed. The actual function of the button works, but the display name makes no sense.

For example...I have an IA button on my top row called "Trail Verb". It sends my BigSky to a particular patch. If you hold that button down, it is called Mute and mutes the outputs. When in IA Mode, pressing (not holding) the above button does what "Trail Verb" is supposed to do, but it says "Mute" on the screen when pressed.

Another example....The button on the bottom right when pressed is "Boost" and when held down sends me to IA Mode. When in IA Mode, tapping that same button does what "Boost" should do, but it displays "Switches" on the screen. No idea where the word "switches" comes from.

Just had a thought: is it possible to assign the global setting for stereo/mono output to a switch? That could be really handy if an amp went down mid-gig.

Just had a thought: is it possible to assign the global setting for stereo/mono output to a switch? That could be really handy if an amp went down mid-gig.

Not currently, but I suppose that's something that could be added at some point.

Not currently, but I suppose that's something that could be added at some point.
My board is wired in stereo. Can the PBC sum those two signals to mono? I currently use a Goodwood Audio Interfacer to do this? Is the Interfacer not needed?

From what I understand, the 6X can...The PBC10 cannot for sure (unless you have Ron mod it to do this internally...he does offer that).

My board is wired in stereo. Can the PBC sum those two signals to mono? I currently use a Goodwood Audio Interfacer to do this? Is the Interfacer not needed?

Yes, there are two settings that will do this for you:

Stereo Output ON, Mix to Mono OFF - this will produce normal stereo output
Stereo Output OFF, Mix to Mono ON - this will produce a mono signal made by mixing down the left and right sides.

These settings can be found on the PBC/6X itself under Audio Settings / Output A Settings, or in the Audio tab of the editor.

The Interfacer Tx has an isolation transformer that might come in handy, but if you don't need that, the PBC/6X can handle mixing down by itself.

Yes, there are two settings that will do this for you:

Stereo Output ON, Mix to Mono OFF - this will produce normal stereo output
Stereo Output OFF, Mix to Mono ON - this will produce a mono signal made by mixing down the left and right sides.

These settings can be found on the PBC/6X itself under Audio Settings / Output A Settings, or in the Audio tab of the editor.

The Interfacer Tx has an isolation transformer that might come in handy, but if you don't need that, the PBC/6X can handle mixing down by itself.
So without modifying the PBC10 I still need the Interfacer to sum the stereo channels?

Hi Ron My first try with the System / Set IA did not went out so well. Have created a button page 12, for exploring my preset/scenes for my Axe Fx 3. IA buttons for selecting the 8 scenes on a preset, and two buttons on external switch performing PC- / PC+. My idea was that the PC- / PC+ buttons should fire a Set IA for button 1 (scene 1) on the preset. Can be tested via Song#207 poiting to presets 283-286. My setup file attached. - Everything is working on the button page, exept my set IA. - Any help appreciated.

Edit: I think I figured it out: if a button is not of type IA, it will ignore the list of "IA actions" commands - am I right? - Tried to add a button setting IA mode on, then it worked.

Attachments

• PBC FW42 Old.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back