HX stomp FS on off cc #

P-air

Hi,

I noticed a small bug using the PBC with Hx stomp.
I set-up the HX stomp as a device and created a page where i can access the HX Fs 1 to Fs 5 with corresponding buttons on the PBC.
The problem lies in the fact that under the "access CC" in the PBC the FS buttons have the same cc numbers than the FS in the HX and that those numbers are reserved in the HX and not accessible.
So, if you try the Learn midi function in the HX "Fs bypass" and click the button in the PBC that you want to assign to the FS, you get the message "CC reserved" in the HX and the midi stays to off.
So you are able to access the FS in the HX but nothing will be saved if you change preset or load the same preset in the PBC.
So, the solution is to change the CC numbers in the Access CC for each buttons in the PBC to numbers that are not reserved in the HX and assign them to the FS Bypass and save the preset in the HX. Now the cc mdi info is saved in the HX.
Now the HX FS switches will respond to the status of the buttons in the Buttons when recalling a preset on the PBC.
Hope i make sense...

Thanks for letting me know, I only had the manual as a reference, i don't have an HX Stomp here to test. So, those buttons don't automatically respond to those CC numbers?

The buttons actually open and close the assign the corresponding FS in the HX.
The problem lies with the HX.
Assignment to FS bypass is saved per preset in the HX.
But the CC number of the FS are reserved in the HX.
So let say you try to assign the midi cc 49 to FS 1, in the HX (see page 35 and 36 of the manual) the third option is midi controller number (default to off).
If you try to enter cc number 49 you get the message "CC reserved" and midi stays too off.
So in that configuration the PBC buttons will open and closed FS1 but will not save or remember the button status when changing preset either on the BPC or the HX.
So, i changed the CC # on the PBC button to CC# 4 and click the midi learn in the HX Bypass assign and saved the HX preset.
Now the HX changes preset when i change presets in the PBC and will remember FS1 status of the PBC button.
I guess without the unit it is hard to understand.

By the way, Snapshot and Switch mode in the PBC "access CC" do not seem to work.

Thanks for the quick response,

Regards,

Pierre

In previous Line 6 products, there were reserved CC numbers for the switches and you could just send those CC numbers to turn the switches on and off, and there was no need to go through any CC assignment process. Did you try sending the reserved CCs to see what happens?

In previous Line 6 products, there were reserved CC numbers for the switches and you could just send those CC numbers to turn the switches on and off, and there was no need to go through any CC assignment process. Did you try sending the reserved CCs to see what happens?

Speaking as a new owner of an HX Stomp, It won't do anything. The MIDI implementation of the HX Stomp is very different than other Helix products (can't speak towards the M series stuff...never owned any of them) - I think because they designed the Stomp to be controlled by another device, as opposed to the floor/rack Helix devices which are designed to be the controllers.

In the Stomp, only the most basic functions have preset CC#s attached to them - the FS buttons, looper controls, and stuff like tap tempo and tuner activation. Anything beyond that you have to manually set yourself. As such, the CC's that are currently reserved in the PBC don't match up to what is in the Stomp.

Last edited:
That's odd, why reserve them if they're not going to do anything with them? I guess I'll move the CC numbers to an unreserved range and everyone's going to have to go through and assign the CCs manually on the HX Stomp.

From what I've picked up from the Line 6 staff on The Gear Page, all the reserved CC#'s are for future features that they hope to implement.

From what I've picked up from the Line 6 staff on The Gear Page, all the reserved CC#'s are for future features that they hope to implement.

Yes but why reserve the numbers that are assign to the FSs bypass. They have to understand that people are going to access the FS with other midi CC sending units.
Would be easier to unreserve the CC # 49 to 53 and allow the switching off-on by other source.

Back