Naming Pre sets for Axe III

Don Anderson

I have programed my PBC to change the Pre sets and then select scenes with midi in those pre sets, however, it says 'Pre set 02' for every Pre set and scene.

Also because we could not figure out how to make the names of the pre sets to come up by scrolling up and down them we assigned 3 different pre sets to corresponding color coded buttons (top ones)
Unfortunately when we tried 'Groups' it effected how the scene selections occurred(latency -making you have to hold the button down to get the scene to engage so we had to leave all three lights in the on state when off. So,

1) How do I create Names for each Pre set

2) How do I have only the pre set assigned button light up and not the others without having latency when engaging the scene?

Here is my settings -

Thanks!!
Don

Attachments

• RJM AX III.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Try this to see if it works on the three guitar preset buttons.

I see how the 5 scenes you have listed. I'm not sure if/how the PBC can be programmed to populate the names of each scene per preset as it's written on the axe fx 3. I'd be interested to learn if that's so. I don't know if "get names presets" works like this or not? Hopefully Ron or someone else knowledgeable in this area can provide clarity.

Attachments

• RJM AX III Diezel.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I recommend changing your Device PC + and PC - buttons to Preset + and Preset - buttons. This will change presets on the PBC instead of just changing presets on the Axe-Fx. The PBC's preset names are always displayed when you change presets. Then, follow the "Get Preset Names" process in this video:

Mastermind GT / Axe-Fx III video #2

Make sure to turn Get Scene Names ON and Create Songs OFF when doing Get Preset Names. This will read your song and scene names from the Axe-Fx and will populate the buttons accordingly.

Using the editor, I see the tick box in global for "show scene names", and we can create a "get preset name" button. I'm not sure where "create songs" is located. Recall, this post is in the PBC section, not GT...maybe I'm looking in the wrong place :-(. Is it only on the PBC board maybe? Don, did you figure it out?

Ron, can "get preset names" be automated within an IA action as a macro for example, or does it have to be programmed as a button only? Also, as in the file above what I've edited Don's, how Don has his scenes listed as IA buttons, will a "get preset names" button (with "Show Scene Names" ticked in the global settings) populate his themes? If not, how would it work?

Me personally, I've been interested in picking up the GT. Since it's quite a bit of an investment, it's not in the cards at this time...so I'm sort of stuck using the PBC for the fractal setup in the studio and the PBC for the road setup as it was normally intended. I'm also a bit hesitant as I would really like to see a stepped GT board as the more buttons, the problem of actually tapping one and not another with my big fat feet are a concern. I like the stepped tier top on the new 6x.

Get Preset Names is invoked either through a button or through the setup menu - have a look at the video I linked to and it will show the process. The video shows the GT, but the process is the same on the PBC. When set up this way, it will affect the names of IA buttons that are set up to control scenes, so they will display the scene name when selected.

Reading the preset and scene names takes time, so it's not something that could be set up to do automatically, it would slow things down too much.

Get Preset Names is invoked either through a button or through the setup menu - have a look at the video I linked to and it will show the process. The video shows the GT, but the process is the same on the PBC. When set up this way, it will affect the names of IA buttons that are set up to control scenes, so they will display the scene name when selected.

Reading the preset and scene names takes time, so it's not something that could be set up to do automatically, it would slow things down too much.

With the video, the process shows choosing presets which you've selected to choose 10-20. When creating a "get presets button", how would we address choosing the presets we want to select vs, it running through 500 presets and taking 10 minutes to send the data?

..also where is the control to turn "create songs" off located....is that only in the PBC directory. I didn't see it in the editor. I have been using 4.2.

@Don..I'm by no way an expert lol, There are a few guys in here that are really on the ball with editing.

I had a look and I guess the PBC doesn't have the Get Preset Names button type at this time. For now, you'll have to go into the setup menu on the PBC to do Get Preset Names.

When we do have a Get Preset Names option, it will bring you to the menu where it asks you for start preset, end preset, etc. It will remember the last settings for all of those parameters, so all you have to do is press select to get it to run.

If you don't have Create Songs, you probably need to update your firmware to get that option.

Hmm...I'm confused :-(.

There is a "get Presets Names" button type on the editor, for the PBC so I can create the button. If I create a button type "get Preset Names"...but update it one time from the PBC itself, will the PBC remember that setting if I call up up via button type that I created?

I'm guessing in the PBC unit itself...the "Create Songs" control is in there? I didn't find that one on the editor as mentioned...so assuming what you're saying is, both "get Preset Names" and "Create Songs" is on the PBC unit? My firmware is updated to current.

I know Don's is current as I helped him update it over the phone. He's in California though and I'm in PA, so I can only send him a file through here and such. I have a gig on Friday, and a few practices so I don't have the time to test/edit my personal setup until next week. I'm trying to help Don at least...and for my own learning experience for programming. My firmware and PC are set to 4.2.

Hope this helps his as well.

Hmm, I double checked and it looks like the button type is shown in the editor, but not actually implemented in the PBC. So, you could create a button, but it wouldn't do anything. I'll fix that.

Create Songs is an option under the Get Preset Names menu on the PBC itself. Get Preset Names communicates between the PBC and Axe-Fx. The editor isn't involved, so you won't see Get Preset Names or any of its sub options in the editor.

That's awesome and thank you for the detailed information and continued awesome customer support! I thought maybe I had a super special editor when you commented earlier :). As always I personally look forward to all the updates you create making your controllers even more powerful!

The best customer service (and for me repeat purchases of three of your products for this very reason). I hope to order a GT soon. I feel it's a far superior option for the Axe FX 3 comparing to all other controllers. Your LED's appear to be much better too:). I do wish you consider to step all of your pedal boards like your new PBC 6x, that to me is a great benefit.

Back