Mastermind PBC Firmware 4.3.2 / Editor 4.3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a new firmware release for you to try. The headline feature is for the Mastermind PBC/6X, but there are some things for all models.
  • Split Mono loops - this allows you to take any of the stereo loops (including the insert loop) on the PBC/6X and split them into two separately controllable mono loops. You need to use insert cables to split the TRS jacks, but instead of left and right, you'll use them for primary and secondary loop. More details on this in a separate post.
  • Added the ability to simple button page editing using the PBC/6X setup menu
  • Added (untested) support for GFI Specular Tempus and Cabzeus
  • Implemented the Get Preset Names button type (for use with Axe-Fx/Kemper)
  • Fixed a bug that prevented editing of scene numbers on the PBC/LT
  • Fixed a bug that caused weird behavior after changing a button to or from the Preset type
  • Fixed Tuner Out bug on PBC/6X
  • Fixed preset name editing on PBC
  • Fixed Assign CC > Internal editor menu for all models
  • Added CC control of insert points and tuner out on PBC/6X
FIXES SINCE THE BETA RELEASE:
  • Fixed insert loop split
  • Enabled missing GFI System pedal support
  • Fixed preset name editing on the PBC
FIXES IN FIRMWARE 4.3.1:
  • MIDI Clock Auto setting now works on the PBC/6X
  • Fixed handling of Axe-Fx III tuner, which was always off by 1 cent
  • Fixed expression pedal position switch handling when using ExpPedal actions
  • Turning on "Send Clock to MIDI In" setting no longer crashes the PBC/6X. This setting shouldn't even be available on an 6X, and will be removed from the next editor build.
FIXES IN FIRMWARE 4.3.2:
  • Fixed an issue that prevented connections to the editor software
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.1 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM432.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.3.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.3.0.zip

PBC/6X Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.3.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf (same as 4.2 manual)

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki (not yet updated for 4.3)

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the continued support! Got a few big shows coming up so I'll be testing it after them.

Are we supposed to see the GFI Specular Tempus in the device menu? If so, it's not there......

Thanks for the tip to not update before a gig!

This is probably a rare need, but POG2 midi support would be nice (Microdesignum mini module). I've got it working but it gets squirrelly every so often.

This is probably a rare need, but POG2 midi support would be nice (Microdesignum mini module). I've got it working but it gets squirrelly every so often.

Try the settings I have in my setup file (attached). I have the POG 2 MIDI mod and I've never had a single issue in over a year in using it with my PBC. If that doesn't fix it, then the problem is probably that your MIDI signals are getting forwarded through too many devices and the messages are getting mixed up with each other. That can be solved by installing something like the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru early in the chain to split the MIDI signal off to individual pedals and keep it clean.

Attachments

• Mastermind PBC Setup.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Try the settings I have in my setup file (attached). I have the POG 2 MIDI mod and I've never had a single issue in over a year in using it with my PBC. If that doesn't fix it, then the problem is probably that your MIDI signals are getting forwarded through too many devices and the messages are getting mixed up with each other. That can be solved by installing something like the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru early in the chain to split the MIDI signal off to individual pedals and keep it clean.
I think I figured it out. If a preset is selected but not activated before a midi PC message is received, it behaves erratically. If a preset is selected and engaged before a midi PC message is received it works perfectly. That's what I've narrowed it down to. It's been working perfectly ever since.

Preset numbers are off by 1 though, and I can't get that to line up... for example preset 1 is PC 0, preset 2 is PC 1, etc...

4.3. Update Warning:

Sooo...Last Friday I updated my Editor version first to 4.3, and because I had my "regular" church services on Sunday, I did not update my PBC 10 firmware. Then I went to download the newest set list to the PBC from the Editor, and repeatedly got an error message. I then re-read the above instructions and deduced that I was going to have to update the PBC firmware for the Editor to communicate. Reasoning that worst case if I ended up totally "boogered" (technical term...) I could use my small pedalboard and wing it, I went ahead. No real worries...

Except that once I updated the PBC, I found that my loops were not properly assigned or working on the PBC anymore. I took a quick look at the Editor and didn't see anything wrong or changed there as far as loop assignments, device set ups, etc. So I replaced the Editor data with a slightly previous version, and that appeared to work and I downloaded THAT to the PBC. Other than losing a couple of songs and presets from the earlier data file version, that appears to have worked. I did a quick test on a number of my songs and presets and they seemed fine. I don't know if the new Editor version "corrupted" the data file it was using, if the new Editor version "messed up" the data on the PBC, or if the new PBC firmware did that. I am not experienced enough on the PBC Editor and PBC set up's inner workings to have been able to deduce that, unfortunately.

I did not EXACTLY follow Ron's update instructions above, as I updated the firmware from the PBC settings options rather than holding 1 and 3 while booting the PBC up, as the PBC was already on. I figured it would be the same...so no idea if that was an issue or not.

I luckily have my back up files and will continue to see if anything else got corrupted, but I did use the PBC 10 pedal board at church on Sunday with no issues, even changing one song's presets on the PBC while at church.

Just FYI.
Bill

I Think I found a bug. - If you define an IA cycle for external button 1 or 2, the color option don't work for cycle 1.

Edit: Actually, it works on the PBC, but not on the presets page in the PC editor.

Last edited:
I thought you meant the Editor in your post..... Sorry!

Sorry, I shouldn't have said the editor in the above post, the problem does originate in the editor (there's a parameter there that shouldn't be there), but the actual crash it causes is on the unit itself. I'll remove the parameter from the editor in a later release.

Yes, it's a known issue in Catalina. Just right-click (or Ctrl-click) on the app, and select Open in the menu that pops up. This'll be fixed in the 4.4 release, which should be out after the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back