MIDI IN on a PBC/6X

kitemonkey

Hi there, just going through the manual on my lovely new PBC/6X and it refers to a special cable needed to that the single midi jack would be both in/out , when bidirectional is on. What's the cable needed for this? Thanks!

addendum - I did find it in the manual, but is anyone currently making one or just order thru BTPA

If you have room on/under your board, I actually think a better solution would be to build a MIDI box that splits the MIDI input to the input and output. That way you can use standard MIDI cables and run the individual cables wherever you need them to go, rather than having two cables running in separate directions off one MIDI plug. Not to mention the fact that MIDI splitter cables are not incredibly common, and from what I've seen, generally pretty expensive.

People can use a box or cable solution depending on their needs. If you're not inclined to build your own, our 2 input phantom power box will do the job as a splitter (PPA-DIN7F-2)- it doesn't have to be used for phantom power. Use a 5-pin active MIDI cable from the PBC's MIDI out to the box's 7-pin MIDI jack (yes, that will work), and the two 5-pin MIDI jacks are your new MIDI in and out ports. Note how the jacks are labeled: "To MIDI In" which is the PBC's output and "To MIDI Out" which is the PBC's input.

EDIT: Here are some links in case others are looking:

https://shop.rjmmusic.com/phantom-power-adapter-din7f-two-inputs/

https://btpa.com/GMIDIY1-II.html?category_id=138

Last edited:
Alas. Maybe if I put out here what I am looking to accomplish, an easy solution will become apparent :D I have a lovely new PBC/6X (so glad to be back with RJM gear for my switching needs!) I also have a MorningStar MC6 which I am hoping to turn on/off loops within the PBC/6X. I suspect the BTPA cable suggested above will do the trick, one of the male ends can go into the MC6, so the PBC/6X can take it's incoming changes, and the other male end can then go to the next MIDI device in my chain? Thanks!

Alas. Maybe if I put out here what I am looking to accomplish, an easy solution will become apparent :D I have a lovely new PBC/6X (so glad to be back with RJM gear for my switching needs!) I also have a MorningStar MC6 which I am hoping to turn on/off loops within the PBC/6X. I suspect the BTPA cable suggested above will do the trick, one of the male ends can go into the MC6, so the PBC/6X can take it's incoming changes, and the other male end can then go to the next MIDI device in my chain? Thanks!

Yes, if you use that cable and turn on MIDI Merge in the PBC/6X, it'll pass MIDI commands from the MC6 to any other devices down the line.

Hi!
I have bought a DIN7F-box, and I am trying to get my PBC/6X to listen to my Selah Quartz Timer but I can't get it to work.

I have it set up like this:
Out of PBC/6X MIDI Output > "Phantom Power Output" of DIN7F
And then the split like this:
"To MIDI Output" to Selah Quartz Timer
"To MIDI Input" to MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru > Split signal to HX Stomp and Specular Tempus x2.

I can't get the PBC/6X to listen to my Quartz when tapping a new tempo.
Am I doing it wrong?

Hi!
I have bought a DIN7F-box, and I am trying to get my PBC/6X to listen to my Selah Quartz Timer but I can't get it to work.

I have it set up like this:
Out of PBC/6X MIDI Output > "Phantom Power Output" of DIN7F
And then the split like this:
"To MIDI Output" to Selah Quartz Timer
"To MIDI Input" to MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru > Split signal to HX Stomp and Specular Tempus x2.

I can't get the PBC/6X to listen to my Quartz when tapping a new tempo.
Am I doing it wrong?
Can you post your setup file? There's any number of things that could be causing the issue.

Now I got it to listen to the Quartz! :)

Is it a way to set these up so that I program my presets on the PBC/6X, and then tell the Quartz to go to the right song, and tell PBC/6X the right tempo with right BPM.
And then, could the Quartz tell a new tempo within that preset so that the PBC/6X listens to it and change to the new tempo on all presets within this song? Hope I could describe that in a good way.. :)

You probably should connect it like this PBC -> Quartz -> other pedals

If the Quartz is always in charge of the tempo, the PBC doesn't need to receive tempo at all, you can leave its MIDI input unconnected. I'm pretty sure the Quartz can be set to forward MIDI messages from its input to its output, so the PBC will still be able to control all devices (including the Quartz).

You probably should connect it like this PBC -> Quartz -> other pedals

If the Quartz is always in charge of the tempo, the PBC doesn't need to receive tempo at all, you can leave its MIDI input unconnected. I'm pretty sure the Quartz can be set to forward MIDI messages from its input to its output, so the PBC will still be able to control all devices (including the Quartz).
Yes, but in this case I cant change tempo in the middle of a song, right? Then it will change back to PBCs tempo if I change from the verse to the chorus in a song?

Yes, but in this case I cant change tempo in the middle of a song, right? Then it will change back to PBCs tempo if I change from the verse to the chorus in a song?

You can change tempo by tapping the Quartz, there would be no tap tempo button on the PBC in the configuration I suggested. And, in the configuration I suggested, there would be no tempo on the PBC at all.

This is a lot easier to set up if you have all of the tempo on the PBC or all of the tempo on the Quartz. There's probably a way to get both, but I've never used a Quartz so I don't know how to do it, or why you would do it. Maybe someone else here could share how they use their Quartz?

You can change tempo by tapping the Quartz, there would be no tap tempo button on the PBC in the configuration I suggested. And, in the configuration I suggested, there would be no tempo on the PBC at all.

This is a lot easier to set up if you have all of the tempo on the PBC or all of the tempo on the Quartz. There's probably a way to get both, but I've never used a Quartz so I don't know how to do it, or why you would do it. Maybe someone else here could share how they use their Quartz?
Ah, I see! So in this case I set the presets in the PBC to ”tempo off”, and it will follow the Quartz in what ever tempo, even if the song starts at 120 BPM and tap in 130?
Sounds good! Will try this!

Back