Loop Not Closing

JeffMarshMusic

Hi Ron,

I'm using my MMGT to control my PBC. When I send the command to close "loop 8" the PBC shows 8 as off, but the loop is still active. From the MMGT, I must step on the IA for loop 8 (redundantly turning it on) and then off again to deactivate the loop. I know it's not an issue with the midi command because the PBC display shows the loop turning off even though the loop is still active. I've been programming the GT using the PBC as an external looper for a couple weeks without issue. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Jeff

Does turning the loop on and off manually on the PBC work correctly? What version of firmware do you have on the PBC?

I'm setting up both systems to test that. I'll respond asap, but wanted to let you know I'm on 4.3 for everything except the Mastermind Editor. When that file is downloaded from your site, the compressed file says 4.3 but "get info" says 4.2. 4.2 is what ends up installed.

Hi Ron,

After testing both GT & PBC it seems that the PBC is reliable. I "think" I was able to make the PBC fail once, but it seems to close loop 8 when I select a preset with loop 8 disabled. However sending a (loop 8 off) midi command from the GT will leave loop 8 active while showing the loop as inactive in the PBC display. The PBC display and actual state do not match.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

P.S. Loop 8 happens to be set to parallel in case thats of any help to you. It's an H9 and I'm trying to keep an analog dry through path. (maybe an issue with that parallel bus???)

I've tried to reproduce the problem here, but loop 8 works fine for me when being CC controlled. Probably the next step is for you to send me your settings.

Hi Ron,

I'm sending you a video of the steps taken to produce the problem. I discovered that the problem occurs when I am switching amp channels on my Mesa Royal Atlantic. When I disable the amp switching, then loop 8 will deactivate as programmed. When Amp Switching is on, Loop 8 will show as disabled on the PBC screen, but will still be active and audible.

My uneducated guess is that there is some kind of voltage happening when connecting to the Mesa relays that confuses that loop. But it only happens when controlling the PBC via midi from the GT.

So, are you switching loop 8 using presets, or using the loop 8 button? And what are you doing exactly to disable the amp switching?

On the MMGT, I set loop 8 to the "On" state and save it to a preset. My amp switching (from the GT) is that top left button which toggles between 3 settings - Clean/Low Drive/High Drive. So if I understand the question, I'm using Presets to call up IA states on the GT. You can see what I did from the 2 files I sent yesterday.

Thanks! Sorry to have you work on the weekend. : )

Minor Update:

I did another test to rule out the Mesa. I unplugged the cable going from the PBC to the Mesa Amp Channel jack.

I thought it might be voltage coming from the Mesa, but that is not the case. The bug still happens when the amp channel cable is unplugged. I assume it must be an issue with the PBC because the display says Loop 8 is off when it is actually on. You are unable to duplicate the bug, so it must be my unit (I think...right?).

My PBC does seem to function okay on its own. I thought of using my Switch Gizmo for channel switching, but I would still be sending Midi to the PBC, which seems to be the problem. Although that would remove the specific midi command telling the PBC to switch amp channels, and the the Switch Gizmo would take over that task. I'd prefer not to have to do that, so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Did you have a chance to test my GT file and PBC file together? (No rush.)

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but you mentioned loop 8 is an H9. Have you tried a different device in that loop? I've heard that Eventide devices can corrupt a midi signal. The fix has been described as putting the Eventide last in the midi device chain so it's only receiving midi and not sending/thru.

Hi Boyce, thanks for responding.

I did verify that the H9 is last in the chain. I went back & forth with Ron trying different things. Ron was not able to reproduce this with my settings, and he was kind enough to send another PBC for testing. The new PBC failed as well, so I know it's something on my end. Possibly the Mesa. The fail only happens when Amp Channel Switching is part of a preset. If I disable channel switching and save the preset everything works fine. Since I had a Switch Gizmo in a drawer I just put it on the GT board and changed the MMGT's button so the Switch Gizmo does the channel switching and not the relays in the PBC. This way, when controlling a PBC with an MMGT22, the PBC is just opening and closing loops and passing Midi thru. The Switch Gizmo addition solved the problem.

Back