HX Stomp: select snapshot when changing presets

moehuh

Hi Ron

I set up my pedalboard so I can play with or without amps. The HX Stomp is in loop 7 and when I'm not using real amps, I just change the default state of loop 7 to always on and move to a preset with amp simulation and go direct after the board. This actually works fine, but it is a bit inconvenient when using multiple presets on the Stomp. I will have to edit and save each preset on the Stomp, when changing from real amps to sims and back.

The Stomp recalls the last snapshot you were on when saving a preset, so I can use this to move from snapshot 1 -> amp sim off to snapshot 2 -> amp sim on. But it still requires selecting the preset, changing the snapshot and saving the preset again. This will become rather time consuming with 10+ presets and having to change multiple times per week (rehearsal with amps, home without, live both with or without).

Here's an example, of what I would like to do: I create preset 002 on the Stomp to be a Chorus effect (snapshot 1 with amp sim off, snapshot 2 with amp sim on). I then select that preset on my PBC-10 on a song preset where I want Chorus. Now, it would be great to recall preset 002-snapshot1 when playing with real amps and recall preset 002-snapshot2 otherwise.

I tried creating an independent IA button outside my presets to change snapshots, but it doesn't send a new snapshot change message when I change presets on the Stomp (or load a new song preset). Would it be possible to somehow link the preset change and snapshot select messages? E.g. make the PBC send something like PC:002 & CC69:000 or PC:002 & CC69:001 depending on a "global snapshot selector"?

Or would there be another possibility?

Thanks so much for your help!

Just a quick update:
Had to re-route my MIDI chain as I was getting an inconsistent MIDI clock to my ChaseBliss delay (resulting in glitches). My Strymon pedals seem to mess with the MIDI clock, but now it works perfectly with them last in chain. A lucky side-effect is that it also solved my snapshot selection quest! (Seems like it messed with the timing of the CC and PC messages as well.)
I can now use an IA button to change the snapshots with the IA button settings "update state on preset change" off and "send on preset change" on. That way it resends the select snapshot CC, whenever I change presets, but does not save the current IA button state.
Really, really awesome!

After starting to use it like this, I found something which truly bothers me: There is a delay when changing presets on the Stomp. The audio signal is completely gone for a moment before the new preset loads, which is very, very annoying... I hope they will fix this in the future, but reading in the Line6 forum, I'm not too sure about that (actual design flaw on the hardware side as there might not be enough processing power to calculate a spill-over).

Is there a possibility to use some sort of "click stopper" after a PC message? The Stomp loop stays on when only switching a preset, so it would be great to have a work around with it being bypassed for a short time.

Cheers and thanks for your help

After starting to use it like this, I found something which truly bothers me: There is a delay when changing presets on the Stomp. The audio signal is completely gone for a moment before the new preset loads, which is very, very annoying... I hope they will fix this in the future, but reading in the Line6 forum, I'm not too sure about that (actual design flaw on the hardware side as there might not be enough processing power to calculate a spill-over).

Is there a possibility to use some sort of "click stopper" after a PC message? The Stomp loop stays on when only switching a preset, so it would be great to have a work around with it being bypassed for a short time.

Cheers and thanks for your help

From my admittedly limited (and very possibly flawed) understanding of how DSP works, it would take double the processing power for the Stomp (or any digital pedal) to do true spillover. The only recent pedal I know of that does this is the Source Audio Ventris, which they designed with two separate DSPs programmed to have entirely different presets loaded into each at any given time. Even then you lose spillover functionality if you want to use a preset that uses both reverbs at the same time.

Anything Line 6 can do to limit that cutoff when switching presets would be nice though. Even just a setting to optionally bypass all effects would be fine with me. As it is, I intend to set my HX Stomp up so that I never use more than 1 preset per song. As to your idea, if I understand it correctly, it would basically be to program the PBC to automatically bypass a selected loop for a specified amount of time when a PC number is sent to a specified device? That would be a cool solution, if unlikely to be implemented.

Back