MASTERMIND GT 4.3.0 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new MMGT16, only few days old, before starting to configure, let’s factory reset and update to 4.3 release.

Out of the box, the unit appeared to be functioning as should, no issues found.
Powered directly from the included powerbrick.
Update went fine until per row update started and failed at the middle row.

Row 2 first lcd showed progress bar, but update failed for some reason.
GT16 was not touched or interrupted during update.
Some lcd’s on row 2 showed a repeating id= pattern from top to bottom during row update, with last line something like
“Press key for id=[number]”.

Overall the update to 4.3 completed, and the GT16 boots fine, but row 2 lcd’s are blank, and all switches on row 2 do not
function. Reboot, nope.

Downloaded 4.3 again, md5 is consistent, so corruption of the downloaded software is not likely.
Downgraded to 4.2.3 which should do factory reset, it did but row 2 still blank and switches not functioning.
Installed 4.3 again, row updates not attempted by update, no change/improvement, row 2 unusable.
Also tried another USB stick as suggested elsewhere, just in case, as expected no change/improvement.

I now have a pretty expensive brick.
Pls advise.

Ok, power up the GT while holding buttons 1 and 3 in the second row (button 1 = leftmost button). It should bring back the "Press key for id" screens in that row. Keep holding until the GT finishes starting up. Release 1 and 3 and press 2. It'll ask you to confirm, press YES.

Now, power down the GT and power it back up again normally. Row 3 might not light up, but a factory reset should fix it at that point:

- Hold the two small black buttons under the main screen, the setup menu should pop up after a couple of seconds
- (At this point all three rows should be lit)
- Select System Functions, then Factory Preset
- Press Yes

That should get you back in business, if not, please let me know.

Hi guys,

Just checking those who have the Axe III if you've come across this? Possible bug? I have a tuner button setup on the GT to access the tuner on the axe III obviously lol. Sometimes when I hit it I get a question mark appear on the GT's display and then sometimes it works no problem I have the button configured actually how it should be so and action to add tuner/system and then another action to add Axe FX III tuner cc.

This is the first time I've come across this. It's worked fine in previous firmwares Anyone else? I've uploaded my GT's latest backup just in case.

Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• 1.rjs
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
It seems to be set up correctly. The next thing I recommend looking at is your MIDI connections. If the cable from the Axe-Fx output is not working 100%, it could cause those symptoms. Does everything else seem to be working, eqpecially with regard to how the GT follows changes made on the Axe-Fx?

It seems to be set up correctly. The next thing I recommend looking at is your MIDI connections. If the cable from the Axe-Fx output is not working 100%, it could cause those symptoms. Does everything else seem to be working, eqpecially with regard to how the GT follows changes made on the Axe-Fx?

Thanks for the quick reply Ron. I've checked my midi connections and all seems fine. I'm using your phantom power box to power the GT. Everything else seems to be ok switching scenes, presets etc. I had an IA setup on the GT to change amp channels there was one time it wouldn't switch on but it all seems fine now.

There's still a slight split second when I engage the tuner button and the question mark I can see that for a split second but then it disappears and the tuner works fine. I've tried using a different midi cable form the gt to the phantom power box and its definitely not that.

I've also tried different midi cables from the midi in and midi out from the axe fx III and phantom power box and it's not that either. It doesn't bother me but I thought I'd better let you know in case there was an actual bug.

Thanks again

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Ron -- Super!

Just got around to loading up the new firmware.
  • Fixed a nasty bug that made a row of buttons get stuck in the bootloader screen
I take it this is the same issue that bit me in January after an intermittent power connection that required sending the GT16 in for a reset? (button 1 stuck in “MMGTB Boot v1.0 Awaiting Download … " with the rest of the row blanked out)

Very glad that you diagnosed & mitigated the underlying vulnerability if that is the case -- outstanding effort.

Thanks as always, Joel

What's the longest you've seen this mastermind take to update to the new firmware after the flash drive is inserted? Updating for the first time in a while, and it is taking a LONG time to do(more than just a couple of minutes)

What's the longest you've seen this mastermind take to update to the new firmware after the flash drive is inserted? Updating for the first time in a while, and it is taking a LONG time to do(more than just a couple of minutes)

If it's not showing a progress bar, then power it down and try again.

Hi Ron,
Great to see you keep on developing the functionality for the Axe3! Thx for that.
Perhaps I found a bug, not sure.
Downloaded and installed 4.3 Firmware and the 4.3 Editor. This worked perfectly and communication with the Axe works fine.
Strange thing with Editor though. If I do "read settings", then change a few things and "send changes (or settings) to device" I get an ERROR2 in the screen of the MMGT. Device hangs completely, hard reset (power off/on) needed. Went back to Firmware 4.23 and Editor 4.2 and everything worked fine, as usual.

Please advise.
Thx!

Hi Ron,
Great to see you keep on developing the functionality for the Axe3! Thx for that.
Perhaps I found a bug, not sure.
Downloaded and installed 4.3 Firmware and the 4.3 Editor. This worked perfectly and communication with the Axe works fine.
Strange thing with Editor though. If I do "read settings", then change a few things and "send changes (or settings) to device" I get an ERROR2 in the screen of the MMGT. Device hangs completely, hard reset (power off/on) needed. Went back to Firmware 4.23 and Editor 4.2 and everything worked fine, as usual.

Please advise.
Thx!

Others have reported this, but I still haven't seen it here. Does it happen if you turn off the Axe-Fx before transferring? That seems to be a common factor. Also are you running on a Mac or PC?

It's good to know that it doesn't happen in 4.2, that may help narrow it down.

Hi Ron,
Sorry to be once again here with a problem.
A big on this time.
I have mailed you a video, pls have a look at it and you'll see what I mean.
The Axe-FX3 unintendedly jumps through scenes like crazy.

Here's what I've done sofar:
* Tried to locate the source of the problem. It's not the Axe, I'm quit sure, here's why:
* I'm running FW 4.2.3 , have done that for quite a while now and it has always worked perfect, until about two weeks ago. Using the GT-22 in song mode.
* Switched from Axe FW 8.0 to FW 9.0, same problem.
* It happens on all presets, and the Axe only jumps between scene one, two and three, no others.
* I have disconnected the GT22 from the Axe-FX (and kept all other connections): problem gone.
* I have disconnected all other connections and re-connected the GT-22: problem back.
* I have not recently changed anything on my rack set-up or power supply or anything. Nevertheless checked all cables, did not find anything that could possibly have this effect.
* I have bought a completely new 6 meter DIN-7 cable from your webshop and replaced my own home-made cable: problem still there.

* Did a full factory reset of the unit, then re-installed 4.2.3 and put the backed up settings back: problem stille there.

Really hope you can help, I have run out of options.
Thx.

Rob / CheapEdge

Hi Ron,
Sorry to be once again here with a problem.
A big on this time.
I have mailed you a video, pls have a look at it and you'll see what I mean.
The Axe-FX3 unintendedly jumps through scenes like crazy.

Here's what I've done sofar:
* Tried to locate the source of the problem. It's not the Axe, I'm quit sure, here's why:
* I'm running FW 4.2.3 , have done that for quite a while now and it has always worked perfect, until about two weeks ago. Using the GT-22 in song mode.
* Switched from Axe FW 8.0 to FW 9.0, same problem.
* It happens on all presets, and the Axe only jumps between scene one, two and three, no others.
* I have disconnected the GT22 from the Axe-FX (and kept all other connections): problem gone.
* I have disconnected all other connections and re-connected the GT-22: problem back.
* I have not recently changed anything on my rack set-up or power supply or anything. Nevertheless checked all cables, did not find anything that could possibly have this effect.
* I have bought a completely new 6 meter DIN-7 cable from your webshop and replaced my own home-made cable: problem still there.

* Did a full factory reset of the unit, then re-installed 4.2.3 and put the backed up settings back: problem stille there.

Really hope you can help, I have run out of options.
Thx.

Rob / CheapEdge

It sounds like you have a MIDI loop going -- one device sends a PC, and the other device responds with the same PC, over and over again. I suspect it's a MIDI setting one or both of the devices that is the culprit.
  • What MIDI channels do you have assigned for the AxeFX and the MMGT? (They should be different.)
  • In the MMGT, for your device settings for the AxeFX, do you have Ignore Incoming PC enabled?

It sounds like you have a MIDI loop going -- one device sends a PC, and the other device responds with the same PC, over and over again. I suspect it's a MIDI setting one or both of the devices that is the culprit.
  • What MIDI channels do you have assigned for the AxeFX and the MMGT? (They should be different.)
  • In the MMGT, for your device settings for the AxeFX, do you have Ignore Incoming PC enabled?
Think I found part of the problem. Indeed the MIDI connection from my PC to the Axe was on Ch1 (same as the GT-22).
Changed that to CH2, but problem remains.
I will get in touch with support and see if the problem can be solved in cooperation with Ron.
I have IGNORE INCOMING PC set to off, which, to the best of my knowledge, how it should be set. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back