G-Major 2 Relay Switch

cgscotto

I was trying to use the relay switch on the GM2 to switch between amps using the remote in on a Mesa Boogie Head Track. I assigned an IA switch to control the relay on the GM2 and the relay is connected to the Head Track (switch out on GM2 to remote in on the Head Track). This worked as it should with not problem. Hitting the IA switch, switched between A and B on the Head Track.

A problem came up when I tried to program some presets. I would either activate or deactivate the IA switch on the correct button page on the preset and save the preset. However, when switching presets, the save state of the IA switch controlling the Head Track does not change the state of the pedal. I do have "send on pc change" and "update on preset change" selected for the button on the button page. However, changing presets does not change the switch, but manually hitting the IA button works.

I finally just setup the Function button on the LT and ran a cable from the LT to the switch. This works perfectly: IA button activates the pedal and the pedal activates from the state saved with a preset. The GM2 relay would have been a little more elegant because I wouldn't have another long cable run from the LT to the rack. Any idea what might be the problem with the GM2 method?

Also make sure that Send CCs on Preset Change is turned on in the Devices tab for the G-Major device - you might be missing that.

I do have Send CCs on Preset Change turned on on the Devices tab for the G-Major 2. The functions switch on the LT is working great, so I will just stick with that.

I have another question about the G-Major 2. I watched the video about setting up the GM2 with a Mastermind. I know that the GM2 cannot do bidirectional midi. One thing you did not cover (or maybe I missed it) was how the GM2 communicates its state with the LT. For example, I set up a button page on the LT that contains IA switches for all the effects blocks. I had Send on Preset Change and Send CCs on Preset Change turned on for every button. When I recall a preset on the LT that contains a program change for the GM2, the preset turns off all the effects blocks because on the button page the state of the buttons is off. I turned off Send CCs on Preset Change and Update CCs on Preset Change, which fixed the problem of turning off the effects blocks when the LT sends a program change to the GM2. Now, however, if I wanted to turn off an effect that is on, I have to do a two step on the LT, one step to make its state match the GM2 then another step to turn it off. The only way to get around this that I see to get around this is to turn on Send CCs on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change and then set the switches on the GM2 button page to match the state of GM2 preset for each preset I program. Is this correct? Would adding a midi cable from the GM2 out to the LT in fix the problem? That is, would the GM2 update the LT if it had a return midi cable?

As always, thanks for the help. Your products are great. I have three LTs as well as lots of other RJM kit.

The G-Major doesn't communicate bidirectionally at all (except the tuner), so you're correct, you'll need to turn on Update on Preset Change on your buttons and program those buttons to match the actual states on the G-Major. You can turn off Send on Preset Change, though. The LT doesn't need to send MIDI to change the effect blocks when the preset changes, it just needs to make sure that the button state matches the effect block state on the G-Major, so that the next button press does what it's supposed to do.

Thanks! Having the correct set of parameters set makes all the difference. It is all working fine, and programming the LT buttons to match the GM2 is only a minor PIA.

it would be great if you put together a list of all effects processor that can communicate bidirectionally with the LT. When I replace the GM2 that capability will certainly influence my next purchase.

Thanks! Having the correct set of parameters set makes all the difference. It is all working fine, and programming the LT buttons to match the GM2 is only a minor PIA.

it would be great if you put together a list of all effects processor that can communicate bidirectionally with the LT. When I replace the GM2 that capability will certainly influence my next purchase.

That's pretty easy:
All Axe-Fxs
Kemper

That's it - no other devices have the ability to report status back to a MIDI controller, at least none that I know of. There are a couple of manufacturers that I've tried to convince to create an interface for us, but to no avail.

Back