Preset Menu selection reverts back to Previous Preset. GT 22 Axe FX III

UncleMatt

When I select a preset from the "preset menu" page it will not change, but reverts back to previous preset.

- I can change the preset manually on the Axe FX III and it will update on GT 22.
- On preset menu page the currently selected preset is "on", but will not switch to a new preset.

I am new the GT so I am sure I am missing something simple. Thanks for any help!

Does the MIDI channel set in the Devices tab of the GT match the MIDI channel set on the Axe-Fx's MIDI settings?

When you select a preset from the preset menu, does the Axe-Fx change briefly to the requested preset, then back to the previous preset (like the GT screen does)?

Also, make sure that PC Mapping is turned off in the Axe-Fx.

It seems like the GT is not changing the Axe-Fx preset for some reason, then Poll State is correcting the GT''s preset to match the Axe-Fx. Try turning off Poll State in Devices on the GT, and see if you can get the Axe-Fx to change presets.

I turned off “poll state”, the GT changed preset names (via the preset menu), but was not switching the Axe-Fx III.

Ok, so that is the problem for sure. Is the GT successfully controlling other things on the Axe-Fx, like effect blocks?

I used the "get preset names" 0-20, but it went to I (I think) preset 123 and loaded them at the 00 preset. So now it has loaded the names wrong out of order.

I wanted to share this in case it helps diagnose what's going on... very weird. I just want to access presets.

At what point do I factory reset everything? Or will I still need to trouble shoot this?

Last edited:
I did a factory reset, and reloaded original page settings (@iaresee thanks for sharing) and the preset menu works again. I loaded my custom pages back and its doing the reverting to previous preset again. I made a change somewhere that is making it act up... I can't find it, so I guess I am just going to start over.

Not a huge deal, but very curious what was causing this to happen.

SOLVED (I saved each page separately and loaded them one by one until the issue was uncovered).

Page 6 was the culprit. I was experimenting with using external switch 1 to be a global preset selection, not sure why it caused the problems it did... Hopefully someone smarter then me can explain what is going on.

Here is what is selected:

ExtSw 1

Normal
IA

IA settings:
on - send on preset change
on - update on preset change

IA Actions:
Axe-Fx III / PC off: 0 on:2

Send on Preset Change is the culprit. When it's turned on, it'll send its message(s) every time you change presets, so it's jumping back to preset 1 every time you change presets, then Poll State makes the GT follow the Axe-Fx's preset change.

Sorry I missed that before - I should have caught that in your settings.

What do the settings need to be because I am having this issue on mine now after updating the other day and I have a gig on Saturday.

@Andrew Slotta I checked "send on preset change" on one of my button's (on a different page) that had an IA action to go to preset 1. When I made a preset change it also triggered this other button to make the change, thus reverting it back to preset 1 no matter what.

I would go through your buttons page and see if that is checked anywhere and sending a conflicting message.

Back