PBC Momentary Behavior when member of a group

Alex Silberman

I see a post from 2010 indicating that momentary buttons ignore group settings. I'd like to change this behavior because I want momentary buttons to respect group membership. Is this something that can be accomplished by some alternate method? Even a Macro to turn off button states would do if that's available. I just wanna turn off lights to match the reality of the device being controlled.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Momentary buttons don't really make sense in groups, because they're only turned on when you're holding them down. What are you trying to accomplish? There's probably a better way to do it than using momentary buttons.

Essentially I have the PBC6/X controlling different patches on an Eventide; one button per patch. Each button sends a corresponding PC and also a CC toggle so when I step on the button, effect turns on and if step again, it turns off. Four buttons work this way perfectly in a group since the H9 can only have one effect at a time. I'd like a fifth button to be momentary because there's a transition where I need a flanger for ONE beat only. This works well because no matter what the H9 is doing (effect on or off), when I step on the button it keeps the flanger on until I release the button. All works perfectly except that if an effect on the H9 was previously on before I stepped on the momentary flanger, that light remains lit on the PBC even though the H9 has now been bypassed (upon release of the momentary). Does that make sense?

This should work:

- Set all buttons to latching (momentary off)
- On the first four buttons, set IA ID to 1
- On the fifth button, add this action:
System / Set IA #1 off:None on:0

This will make the fifth button turn off the other four buttons when pressed.

You're the best, thanks. That worked like a charm. I actually need the fifth button to be momentary, so I reverted to that and it worked!!!! The PBC is now PERFECTLY in sync with the H9's states.

Thanks again.

Back