New phantom power cable with bidirectional MIDI by Best-tronics

Not sure exactly what you think that means, but again... your communication skills.:confused:

If you mean build one myself, don’t need to. I bought this cable and already have integrated my MM 22 into my rig with it. It was way cheaper than $240 too... because I live in the US!:p

Now my Marshall JVM and 1960 TV... paid through the nose for them. Way more than you would in the UK. I did so happily, would do it again, and have never complained about it. It is great gear and I knew that I would pay a premium.;)

Marshall is as cheap as chips over here, because I live in the UK! :p
I use them as door stops :D.
Now you get it... kind of... I think... errrr maybe not. I actually knew you would respond along these lines. Love it when a plan comes together.

You see it does not bother me that you get Marshalls far cheaper than I. I do not begrudge you or any Brit that privilege, to do so would be petty. You should get the benefit of having a world class vendor like Marshall in your country. Now don’t begrudge us Americans when our geography gives us some benefit.

I came to grips with the reality of international trade decades ago. As a result I am at peace with it and do not feel the need to congest Internet forums with bitterness over the higher cost of Marshall’s in the US.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely not a "greed" thing. We have, and always will, stand behind not marking up products insanely to give some sort of allure that it is "high quality" as many boutique cable manufacturers do.

The cable needs to be spliced for the 3 arms to come out. It takes time to do this properly. To add, you are plugging some high dollar item gear, if the splice point were to break and short - there is potential for damaging this gear. To defend against this, we cover the splicing point within a metal shell. We then pot the metal shell with a custom epoxy from the Fiber Optic division of our company. This provides a rock solid splicing point and will ensure there are no moving parts within this area, plus it will make it pretty darn hard to break. To do this requires extra components and time. Also, when you factor into what this cable is replacing (box is $79 + the cost of two MIDI cables) - I would reckon it is pretty par for the course.

Living overseas certainly doesn't help the case (we are trying our best to negotiate better shipping rates with carriers), so that I can agree on - our hands are tied there.

Again, thanks for the feedback - I just wanted to give an explanation on how it certainly is not a "greed" thing. There is a lot more to it than that.
For what it's worth: I have a number of cables from Best-Tronics. They are fantastic, and absolutely tour-worthy. I am happy to carry extra gear on the road, especially for hard-to-find items (you never want to go shopping for a 7-pin MIDI cable on the day of show). These cables are "expensive" in the sense that they are not cheap. But that's the point. Between the AxeFX and the MMGT10, I've spent a bit of money. I will not wager my performance on a cheap cable :) I've had a lot of cables fail on me over the year, including OEM power cables, XLR cables, and wireless input cables. Any cable that is moved / rolled will eventually wear out. The question is: "over the next five years, do you want to replace a cheap cable five times, or buy a single premium cable at 2x the price?". The quality of the cable, connector, and workmanship is what differentiates the wheat from the chaff. I have been using the same Best-Tronics 7-pin MIDI cable at every rehearsal and gig for 4 years, and haven't had to use my spare cable even once.

Just want to be absolutely sure before I get it. I wont have the Axe FX 2 that I'll be using to test out until right before I leave for tour, and at that point it will be too late to get a new cable. Phantom power, plus the bi directional midi for tuner, tempo, and get/change presets is super important.

It was recommended to me that the
FAS03-XX would work for phantom power, as well as tuner/tempo/get presets.

Being that there isn't a lot of documentation out there and being that I only have one shot I have to make sure to choose the right one

The AS-MSTRMBIP-XX cable is designed for products that have separate MIDI Ins and Outs like the Axe-Fx III and Kemper. You could use it with an Axe-Fx 2, but it would be better (and cheaper) to use a cable that takes advantage of the Axe II's bidirectional MIDI. I'm not sure if the FAS03 is the right one, did you get that info from BTPA? They have two similar cables and I just sent an email asking for clarification. I'll post their response here.

Brian at BTPA did suggest the FAS03, but I don't think that I had clarified I wanted to use it for full preset control/tuner/tempo.

So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to cover all my bases and ask the RJM forum as well. I appreciate the help-thank you!

I just wanted to point out that Best-tronics is now making a 1 cable solution for phantom powering the GT. It has a 7-pin MIDI connector on the GT end and two 5-pin MIDI and a DC power connector on the other side. This is designed to work with the Axe-Fx III and Kemper Profiler.

https://btpa.com/AS-MSTRMBIP-XX.html

We will continue to offer our phantom power boxes. The main reason you might choose the box it is that it's easier to repair - cables can be swapped out with (fairly) standard cables if needed.
Got my BPTA

AS-MSTRMBIP-XX cable for my Kemper rack last week and cant get my presets to read on the GT16. The preset boxes stay dark. The bank up/down light up and change the preset bank. But no presets are shown. I have other IA buttons mapped to Device 2 (Chauvet Obey) to change light presets and that device is controlled via the Kemper Midi Thru jack. That device works just fine and is getting the midi commands from the GT16 thru the Kemper. As soon as I unplug the BTPA cable and use 2 midi cables and the power supply, it works fine. Any ideas? Is there a setting I am missing to account for this single cable setup?

Thank you - Justin

Make sure Bidirectional MIDI is turned on in the GT's MIDI settings. Also, you shouldn't use Get Preset Names and Auto Names at the same time - choose to use one or the other. Turn off Sync Names and Auto Names in the Devices tab, and then try Get Preset Names again.

I have purchased several cables from Best-Tronics including a few custom assemblies. They are the best cables in my rig. I'm very handy with a soldering iron, and have built a lot of my own custom electronics, cables, and patching systems. I would like to think my own work is on par with theirs, but when you factor in (1) the cost of the materials involved (2) the difficulty in sourcing some of the really specialized stuff (e.g., 7 pin right angle MIDI plugs) and (3) the fact they turn around orders pretty quickly, it's worth it to have them make my specialty cables. Also, they're very cool people. Happy to support them, and love their work.

Make sure Bidirectional MIDI is turned on in the GT's MIDI settings. Also, you shouldn't use Get Preset Names and Auto Names at the same time - choose to use one or the other. Turn off Sync Names and Auto Names in the Devices tab, and then try Get Preset Names again.
Thank you Sir! Just finished soundcheck and it took all of 15 seconds to get it fixed.

Back