7-Pin MIDI-IN Wiring Pinout

Toopy14

I'm going to make my own phantom power MIDI cable, similar to the Rocktron cable (which is too long for my needs). I'm going to take an existing 7-pin cable and replace one of the 7-pin DIN connectors with a 5-pin DIN connector and a 2.1 mm barrel connector jack so I can plug the LT power supply into it.

I'm assuming the 7-pin DIN, MIDI-Out jack on the LT follows the 7-pin MIDI wiring spec., but just to be sure, is there a diagram of the wiring pinout for the LT published somewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:
It's pretty simple - pins 1-5 are just connected from one end of the cable to the other. Pins 6 and 7 (the upper pins that are on a 7-pin but not on a 5-pin) connect to the DC power connector. It doesn't matter which DIN pin goes to which pin on the DC power jack - the LT will accept either polarity.

It's pretty simple - pins 1-5 are just connected from one end of the cable to the other. Pins 6 and 7 (the upper pins that are on a 7-pin but not on a 5-pin) connect to the DC power connector. It doesn't matter which DIN pin goes to which pin on the DC power jack - the LT will accept either polarity.

Awesome...thanks very much!

Last edited:
Just curious on this on.. if i were to use the 2 midi cables in/ out (standard) for bi directional midi, what would the pin outs look like for that? and which pins are being used? i assume it is just 3 per connector.

If you're using standard MIDI cables, one for in, one for out, then it's just pins 2, 4 and 5 that are used. Pin 2 should use the cable's bare wire.

Made the cable in 2019, but just getting around to needing it. :)

The manual states that you can supply power to the power input and also via the USB connection, which I’ve been doing since 2019. However, it doesn’t specifically mention supplying power via MIDI pins 6 & 7 on the MIDI-Out jack and via the USB connection. Is it safe to assume that it’s okay to do so?

1700708216086.png

Yes, it's set up so that it will only draw power from the USB jack or a non-USB source, never both, even if both are connected.

Back