GT16/AFXIIXL+/Buddy "local page" issue

touch33

Hello, All –
Now that I've got a little time on my hands ;) I've decided to work on my [GT16/AFXIIXL+] rig, with v4.4.1FW in the GT16 and ARES2 in the XL+ I've downloaded the AustinBuddy tone pack into the XL+, almost fully-loading it except for presets 640-767 (which are my previous personal "saves" or are empty). I'm creating a set of GT16 pages to audition/support the Buddy presets (thx to iaresee for the motivational example!) and I've pulled the "preset names" from the XL+ into the GT16. The preset list in the GT16 looks correct in MMGTEditorv4.4.0 (Mac) EXCEPT that some of the presets mysteriously have the "Local Page" box checked in EDITOR/PRESETS/GENERAL SETTINGS. It affects about 150 of the 600-ish presets, starting at #199 (then skipping a few) then most of the #200's and a few others here and there in the 300/450 range.

Q1) Some type of corruption of the "Get Preset Names" (done via GT16 button commands)?
Q2) Possible correction(s) other than manually "unchecking" the offending boxes in MMGTEditor?

Obviously it's NBD to manually uncheck the "local page" boxes as needed – I just don't like unexplained phenomenon, especially if it appears to be a random thing (to me, at least). FWIW, I didn't reset/"wipe" the GT16 in any way before starting this whole process (or after updating the FW, for that matter). Hindsight being 20/20 perhaps that would've been A Good Idea, but alas...

All suggestions (besides "get an FXIII and work on that instead") welcome!

Cheers & Stay Healthy,
Bruce

That does sound like a bug. I'll have to look into that. Unfortunately, manually turning them off is the only way out at this time, there isn't any way to clear the flag on multiple presets at this time.

Any value (to you or me) to doing any kind of GT16 "reset" and reloading of preset names? I want to help if I can b/c you do SO much for all of us all of the time!

It would be helpful if you could do that. Start with a factory reset unit, then do only the minimum required: set up the Axe-Fx device, then do Get Preset Names. See if Local Page is turned on for any presets. This will tell us if it's reproducible. I don't have an Axe-Fx II anymore, so it would be good to compare results with the Axe 3 that I do have. The support code for Axe 2 vs Axe 3 is almost entirely different.

Shall do, Ron – I'll let you know what happens.

Since you no longer have an Axe2 (!) in your Support arsenal (and since I am super-appreciative of the phenom job you do every day) I'm willing to do my part and offer to swap my pristine Axe2 for one of the Axe3's you no doubt have sitting around.

It's the least I can do. Srsly. I'll even cover the freight on both directions...

Shall do, Ron – I'll let you know what happens.

Since you no longer have an Axe2 (!) in your Support arsenal (and since I am super-appreciative of the phenom job you do every day) I'm willing to do my part and offer to swap my pristine Axe2 for one of the Axe3's you no doubt have sitting around.

It's the least I can do. Srsly. I'll even cover the freight on both directions...

Ha! I think I'll stick with my Axe3 for now. :)

OK - here's what I found:

1) I disconnected the GT16 from the AX2 and did a full reset of the GT16 (twice, in fact, just to be sure) and power-cycled it.
2) Connected AX2 and GT16, then did the basic GT16 setup for the AX2.
3) Performed the "get preset names" function. All appears to be good with both units.
4) Connected GT16 USB to Mac running MMGTEditor v4.4.0 and performed "read settings from device".
5) Saved the resulting Editor file.

Everything in the GT16 and the Editor looks perfect: none of the 700+ presets had the "local page" box checked and all names appear correctly in both the Preset List and on the GT16 itself. GT16 functionality appears to be normal, recalling AX2 presets/scenes and performing limited IA functions as expected.

SO – it would appear that the "local page" anomaly is the result of a corrupted transfer (?) or something dodgy in the GT16 that occurred while I was working on Editing the page buttons maybe (?) although I didn't get anywhere near the "bad" Presets (#199 and up, randomly) during any of my editing/testing...

NOW – I'm hoping that there's some way to get the three button pages I've already cobbled together OUT of the file with the "bad" (corrupted Presets) and into the new "good" (correct Presets) file? I tried a number of things using copies of the various files – like transferring the bad file to the GT16, then doing another "get preset names" on the GT16 and transferring THAT back to the Editor (= nope, the Preset "local page" checks followed the transfer back to the Editor).

ANYWAY – I can upload the bad/good files to a Dropbox if you'd like, and if the correct answer is "reprogram your button pages with the good Preset transfer file" then so be it...

Yes, just do an export from the bad file (export only the pages you need). Then, load the good file and load the exported file on top of it. Make sure to keep a backup of the original good file! This should replace only the button pages you specified in the export.

The export function is old and not well maintained. If you use any extended button features like hold functions or IA Cycle, they probably won't copy over. Everything else should, though.

... If you use any extended button features like hold functions or IA Cycle, they probably won't copy over. Everything else should, though.

Well, of COURSE I use “Holds”, etc. I’ll certainly give the “exports” a whirl, fingers crossed. Then again, maybe a new AX3 would solve things nicely...

Today's Update: try though I might, I have not been able to "export & transfer" the three existing GT16 button pages on top of a new/clean "Get Preset Names" version on the GT16 itself: every time I transfer the exported pages from Editor to GT16 (selecting only the "export button pages" checkbox in Editor) I still wind up with the same presets on the GT16 (199 thru upper 200's) having "local page" checked. I'm guessing maybe my Editor file needs some additional tweaking before I export... ?

I'm also thinking maybe it's time to toss the existing button pages completely and just start over: create new button pages on top of (what appears to be) a "clean" transfer of presets/etc. from the GT16 to Editor. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
So, when do the Local Page settings turn on? After Get Preset Names? After importing the exported pages?

After transmitting the exported pages file on top of the “clean” GPN in the GT16, then turning everything off, the powering back up, then reconnecting USB cable to laptop and booting Editor, then transferring from GT16 to editor.

If it was ok after Get Preset Names, that would make it easier for me to chase down since I might not need an Axe-Fx II to reproduce it. I will look at it when I can.

I can forward the files if it’s something you feel a need to dive into. Were I you, I probably wouldn’t get too swamped down in what is/was just me unwittingly building pages on top of a bad transfer (and not knowing what to watch out for). I now know better (maybe) and will check things out a little more closely as I go through the programming process. Who knows how many new and exciting ways I can find to screw things up?

Or maybe I’ll just pop for that AX3 after all...

Last edited:
Just to wrap things up with a ribbon and a bow: I ended trying a number of work-arounds but was unable to find a way to salvage my previous GT16 programming and still get rid of the unwanted "local page" issue. Started the process all over again (after reading up on the UM a little) and all is functioning well.

Thanks again for the stellar support, Ron.

Back