Boss FS-7 misbehaving!

cosmic_ape

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I wanna add two buttons to scroll through my pages.

I checked the wiki file, set the polarity on II and set the switch as 'momentary'. I powered it with my existing isolated power supply. I have tried setting it as a regular Page button and as an IA button. Nothing! I even copied a different IA page button onto one of the External Switch buttons. No response.

I tested it with at least three separate TRS cables by different manufacturers to no avail. It briefly worked at the beginning, but only one button did (Button A, Page Up), and it was scrolling the pages the opposite way! When I unhooked the TRS cable, I noticed a page change on the unit, but that was it. It didn't work at all after that.

I saved my file and updated the firmware. I re downloaded the file into the unit and tried again. No dice!

Please help.

Do you have another switch you can use? You can even use a TRS cable and just connect the tip to sleeve with a piece of wire or paper clip just as a quick test - tap the wire to both tip and sleeve - that's equivalent to a button press.

Doing this will help us find out if it's the FS7 or the PBC that's the issue.

Unfortunately, I do not have a different switch. I went ahead and opened up a couple of TRS cables to do the quick test. It does not work. But inserting one TRS end to the Ext. Sw. Input on the PBC does scroll my pages down once.

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, measuring voltage from tip to sleeve and ring to sleeve would be a useful test.

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, measuring voltage from tip to sleeve and ring to sleeve would be a useful test.
While waiting for the voltmeter, I noticed the pages would scroll down even if I hooked up an adjacent Stereo In. Hooking up the exp. pedal would just make the unit endlessly scroll pages down. And even the MIDI out started to trigger the scrolling. If I wiggled the cable slightly (as if I was trying to insert it or remove it), it would scroll down.

I went ahead and disabled the additional buttons and that stopped the scrolling.

I am even more confused now.

Now, the unit won't recognize the Expression Pedal either. It did before, earlier in the week. If I want to calibrate it now, it won't do anything. I tested multiple TRS cables, different pedals. Nothing. When I hook an expression pedal directly to one of my effect pedals, it works just fine.

To make matters worse, if I assign the Exp Pedal to one of my effect pedals in Setup Mode, the scroll up button on the PBC starts controlling the expression on the effect pedal, as I scroll up through the setup options!

I figured it's possible I did something wrong. I factory reset the PBC. Tried to add an expression pedal with a clean slate. No dice.

Is it possible there's something wrong in that area of the unit?

Update:

Yes, the PBC was acting up. Thanks, RJM for the quick service and turnaround. You guys are the best!

Having said that, this Boss thing is just weird. If I plug in to only use the top button, it works as advertised. If I use the other jack (to control both buttons via TRS), the functions flip. Up is down, down is up.

Annoying, but I can live with that. I hadn't quite yet decided which functions I was going to assign to it. It seems that a global scrolling of my pages will be the way to go. Less of a hassle.

Thanks, guys!

Back