My GT22 setup for the Axe-Fx III

Alexander

I'm joining @iaresee in sharing the setup of my GT22 for the Axe-Fx III.
Couldn't be happier. (*)

(*) Maybe just a tiny little bit if some minor bugs will be fixed in the next firmware. :)

EDIT: updated the pics.

Here's the main page for my kitchen sink preset.
The text on the second rows of the effect buttons indicates the channel.
Bottom row buttons are scenes. Printed labels at bottom indicate the Hold functions of the scene buttons (such as Page Up etc.).
External dual buttons add functions, such as changing my single expression pedal between Wah, Whammy, Volume, and more.

IMG_1482.jpeg

Page 2 (lesser used effect buttons, and the Cab button on the top row switches sound from mono to stereo):

IMG_1483.jpeg

Page 3 (least used effect buttons and quick-jump to acoustic simulation):

IMG_1484.jpeg

Page 4 (looper controls):

IMG_1485.jpeg

I use a preset-per-song approach to be able to display the correct tempo for the song, to name scenes according to song parts, and to switch BandHelper on my iPad. Example:

IMG_1486.jpeg

Last edited:
@Alexander this is awesome. Your shared settings helped sell me on a GT/22.

Do you do per-preset switches or do you just use the same drive block and settings in all your usual gigging presets? I’ve wanted to do “names” for channels like you did but I don’t currently use the same drive block settings on every preset.

Most buttons are global. And I do stick to the same Drives (using global blocks on the Axe-Fx) in most presets. That’s 8 Drive types (2 x 4 channels), with fixed names, and that works for me for my sounds. But you’re right: this means that when I do occasionally use another Drive block in a preset, the assigned names will no longer match the actual Drive types. Applies to other effect buttons too. I drop a hint in a scene name as a reminder in such cases.

Last edited:
@Alexander you inspired me! I did two things tonight: I named my channels for the Drive 1 and Drive 2 blocks on the GT/22. And the second thing, and this is big for me, I went global with Drive 1, Drive 2 and Drive 3 across my 10 or so presets I pick between. I've never used globals before but this seemed like as good as time as any to jump into globals.

So far I'm really enjoying the label <> block correlation. It's making things even easier to switch on the fly.

I'll probably do this for more blocks.

I’m looking at getting a GT/10 and found this thread through a search since I also use an iPad and Bandhelper. Currently I’m using an FC-6 but I think since I can program this to send midi messages directly from the unit, I could get it to directly control my ipad as well as my TC-Helicon Voice Live Rack without having to use limited . So I just wanted to find out how you have your rig wired up. I was thinking since I’m using iPad Pro 11” with USB C, I could use a USB C to B cable to connect to the GT/10 which will allow 2 way midi comms between the GT/10 and the ipad. So first question is, would this work and if I was using bandhelper to send PC would it pass those through the GT/10 to my Axe FX 3 and Voice LIve Rack? Next if I get the RJM phantom power adaptor with 2 inputs, is it a single cable to the GT/10 remote in and then in and out to the Axe FX 3? (this would also power the GT/10?). I think from there it would just be midi through from the axe fx 3 to control my Voice Live Rack. Let me know if you think this sounds plausible. Thanks

External dual buttons add functions, such as changing my single expression pedal between Wah, Whammy, Volume, and more.

@Alexander, please tell me more about how you’re doing this — I’d like to do exactly the same thing. I’m plugging my Mission pedal into GT16 “Expression Pedals 1” and it’s momentary toe switch into the EXT SW1 port.

Cheers,
Bruce

Last edited:
@touch33

Example. There's a vertical column of 4 blocks before the M-Plex (Multiplexer) block. The Multiplexer's channels determine which of the 4 blocks is passed through. I just switch between the Multiplexer channels, using an onboard switch or an external button. Using the "IA Cycle" and "IA Menu" parameters, the button pops a menu which lets me choose the desired Multiplexer channel = signal flow.

Two of these blocks are controlled through a pedal (external controller): Wah and Pitch (Whammy). Both are auto-engaged. The Multiplexer-method means that auto-engaging both blocks doesn't get in the way.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-17 om 14.26.30.png

Last edited:
@Alexander

Well, isn’t THAT clever! Perhaps there’s a value to RTFM — I hadn’t gotten to the Mulitplex block yet, but you can bet I will now...

Thanks so much — I’m looking foreward to fiddling about with that one. Am I correct that you created a Multiplex button on the GT so you can select channels just like any other block? And do you have any other Slick Tricks you’d like to share?

So — now that I understand how to do this via AFX3 programming, is there a way to accomplish something similar using primarily GT programming? I ask b/c doing it in the GT would allow me to access the wah/pitch/vol controllers already existing in hundreds of my AFX3 presets (at least I think @austinbuddy already put some controllers in his presets...).

I’m guessing that it would look like setting up multiple GT expression pedal settings blocks (each mapped to a separate controller in the AFX3) and then programming a GT button with “ia/cycle” to choose between the pedal blocks?
Anybody already tackled this method?

Cheers,
Bruce

Back