How is MIDI Clock Auto supposed to work?

ataglianetti

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a bug with this feature.

I'm using Native Instruments Machine to send MIDI clock to the PBC 6X (FW 4.5.0). If I set the PBC 6X to Slave, everything works as expected (though it doesn't display the incoming Tempo from Maschine). If Maschine is stopped, or not open, I cannot use the PBC 6X Tap Tempo to generate MIDI Clock.

If I set the PBC 6X to Master, it generates it's own clock, set by a Tap Tempo button I have setup, but it ignores MIDI clock sent to it's USB port.

What I would like to do, is have the PBC 6X slave to MIDI clock over USB when it's available, but also be able to generate it's own clock via Tap Tempo when it's not. That's what I assumed the MIDI Clock Auto setting was for, but it's not working as expected.

I generally run my pedal board in two ways
  1. Mono, 4CM with my amp, no computer / external MIDI Clock
  2. Stereo, into my audio interface, DAW sending MIDI Clock
I would like to not have to change the MIDI Clock settings to suit each workflow if possible.

Thanks!

I tested it here, and it works in 4.5.0. I have a PBC/10 with a tap tempo button, and clock is set to Auto. Its MIDI output goes to a computer running Mainstage just so I can display BPM. Then, I set up a Mastermind LT with a tap tempo button and clock set to Master. Its MIDI output is connected to the PBC's MIDI input.

I did the following:
- Tapped a tempo on the PBC. The light starts flashing, and I get a BPM on the computer
- I can then tap a different tempo on the LT. The LT' starts flashing, and the PBC changes to the same rate. The computer reflects the new BPM.
- I can then pull the MIDI cable from the PBC's MIDI input. The PBC continues to send at the same rate
- Tapping a new tempo on the PBC results in a new BPM on the computer

What were you trying that didn't work?

Okay, so the PBC6X is connected to the computer via USB and is set to Auto. Native Instrument's Maschine is open, with a tempo of 120bpm and the transport stopped.

I tap a tempo of 200bpm on the PBC6X; it's flashing at that speed and sending that clock to all of my pedals. When I start playback from Maschine, the tempo of the PBC6X holds at 200bpm and does not change to 120bpm.

In other words, when in Auto, the PBC6X acts as if it's in Master. It ignores MIDI Clock sent to it's USB input.

Ok, I found it, the problem is specific to USB MIDI. Standard MIDI in is fine. I'll fix this in 4.5.1.

If you go to the 4.5.0 thread and click Watch Thread, you'll hear about any post to that thread. I always post to the previous version's thread when releasing a new version. That's the best we have at the moment.

Just wanted to update this issue, I'm still seeing this in 4.6.1. I couldn't find the release notes for 4.5.1 so I'm not sure.

Back