Boss OD-200

thegeardad

Hey all, looking for any and every bit of info related to doing midi with the Boss OD-200.... anyone else have their RJM device working with an OD-200? Boss has very limited info... They basically only tell you how to set the "Midi Receive Channel" in the manual, but not really much else. No Midi CC # list to be found on how to change parameters or even turn the unit off/on via midi.

What I'm trying to do with it:

-Use a single button on the Mastermind LT to cycle through the 4 "memory" presets you save on the OD-200 unit itself.
-Have my presets on the Mastermind LT dictate which preset on the OD-200 I want.

If anyone has any insight, that would be amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 5
Hey all, looking for any and every bit of info related to doing midi with the Boss OD-200.... anyone else have their RJM device working with an OD-200? Boss has very limited info... They basically only tell you how to set the "Midi Receive Channel" in the manual, but not really much else. No Midi CC # list to be found on how to change parameters or even turn the unit off/on via midi.

What I'm trying to do with it:

-Use a single button on the Mastermind LT to cycle through the 4 "memory" presets you save on the OD-200 unit itself.
-Have my presets on the Mastermind LT dictate which preset on the OD-200 I want.

If anyone has any insight, that would be amazing!
Just got one of these myself and started setting it up today.

P9 of the user manual begins to describe all the weird menus and settings available.

The TL;DR version of BASIC needs for any MIDI setup:
-P9: Press the black [PARAM] and [MEMORY] buttons together to enter the menu
-P11: Use the Param KNOB to rotate to rCh (MIDI Receive Channel), click in and rotate to select your channel
-Click Param knob again to return to the Parameter selection
-P12: Use the Param knob to rotate to CCi (CC in) to make the pedal receive CC information (default is OFF for some godforsaken reason)
-Click Param knob again to return to the Parameter selection
-P9: Press the black [PARAM] and [MEMORY] buttons together to exit the menu

The CC list is not listed in the manual, but you can dig into it with the Param knob. Basically they have defaults, but they ALLOW you to change which CC controls which parameter, which is kinda wild. P12 has the Parameter names to reference.

After I did a Factory Reset on the pedal, the default Parameter/CC combinations are:
-Expression 16
-Drive 17
-Level 18
-Low 19
-Middle 20
-High 21
-Boost Pre Level (Gain) 22
-Boost Post Level (Vol) 23
-Effect On/Off 27 (this one seems to do exactly what you think)
-On/Off Switch 28 (this one seems to do a weird cycle thing?)
-CTL1 80
-CTL2 81
-Memory/Boost Switch 82 (can get it to cycle the 5 presets, but not do Boost stuff)
-Boost On/Off 83

To cycle through the 4 saved presets, you'd want to just make an IA Cycle button and send PC 1, PC 2, PC 3, PC 4. CC 82 (set to Momentary) will almost do what you want, but will also scroll through the green MAN setting, too. Also, if you have held down Memory/Boost on the pedal and are in Boost mode (flashing light), CC 82 will then act as a Boost on/off instead of cycling presets. So the IA Cycle is the way to go for consistency.

Otherwise just sending a PC to the OD-200 and saving the preset should get what you want for your presets. I have an external 2 button switch set for each pedal to do PC+ and PC- to scroll through things. As you scroll, you can find what you want, then IA Store (on a PBC) to save the PC you have chosen to your preset.

I'm a bit let down that you can't CC your way to choosing which Drive and Boost types you want, gate settings, series/parallel, etc. Maybe they're just undocumented because there some gaps in those CCs that might do something. Some of the Chase Bliss pedals had undocumented CCs, wouldn't surprise me of Boss did on this, as well.

[edit] Initially posted with 27 and 28's parenthetical statements backwards. Fixed. 28 seems to beed CC 28-127 and CC-28-0 to do one function. Then next time it cycles through and does the opposite thing. Really weird. Like it's set to be a momentary, yet requires both 127 and 0 do to a single thing. I don't get why this exists. Maybe replicating an external switch or something?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that default list, I don't understand why Boss doesn't put the list in their manuals.
No problem! Going through it is super tedious. If it saves someone the time, it's worth relaying.

And yeah, it's weird they didn't list the default CCs. Their manuals are a perfect combination of very technical, and still somehow undigestible.

If I figure out any weirdness or nuances with those CCs, I'll update the thread here. I just got a first pass last night doing all the expression things on the pedal. Will try to dive in a bit more today and try out all the other CC features.

Back