Mini effects Gizmo - Amp and Multiple Preamps

Hello! Newbie here. Please be nice. =)

I have a tube amp and multiple preamps I'd like to combine using the MEG. I don't have all the equipment right now to test, but I'd like to ask the theoretical question anyway: will I need a transformer isolator on just the tube amp input and effects loop, and none for the preamps? Or isolators on all the preamp inputs/outputs and none on the tube amp?

Thanks.

Marvin

There's really no way to know until you try it. Each model of amp is wired differently and may or may not contribute to ground loops. I would start by connecting the MEG to the power amp and only one preamp. Make sure that it's not humming. Then, connect a second preamp, test again, etc. When you add something that hums, you'll need to isolate one or possibly both audio connections to the preamp. Alternately you could try using a Hum-X on the preamp's power connection - that can help in many cases.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. At least I have a starting point as I never would have thought to start with one preamp connected to the return of the amp. I would've started with the amp and the MEG in "4-cable," then add the preamp one at a time and see when it hums.

Back