2 Way Communication with FX8 mark II

IggySniff

Hey, I am having a problem with 2 way communication between my MMGT16 and my new FX8. I can control the FX8 no problem, changing presets and scenes works, but the tuner function on the MMGT isn't working (i get a "?") and when I switch presets it doesn't update which effect blocks are active, so it seems like the FX8 isn't talking back to the MMGT.

My current midi path is as follows:
MMGT16 phantom powered through 7pin midi cable to Effect Gizmo on my rack, then through a Mini Amp Gizmo, a few other midi pedals and ending on the FX8. From the FX8 midi out I have a 5pin midi cable going to the remote in on the MMGT16. Bidirectional midi is off on the MMGT and midi thru is turned off on the FX8.

I have tried 3 different midi cables and no luck, I checked the cables and all 5 pins are connected. I then tried connecting the MMGT16 directly to the FX8 with a single 5pin cable (turning on bidirectional midi on the MMGT16) still no luck.

I tried following a few guides I have found for setting up an Axe Fx with MMGT, but the FX8 obviously doesn't have all the same options. Any ideas?

I don't think that the FX8 supports bidirectional MIDI like the Axe-Fx does. But, if you have any evidence that it does, please let me know and I'll investigate!

Ok, I guess I spoke too soon, I am having trouble getting the FX8 to switch presets. I can get the FX8 to switch presets if I add a PC change message to an IA button, but when I create a preset and check the FX8 box and select the PC message I want, the FX8 doesn't do anything. I messed around with a few different settings and I can't get it to work. All other functions on the FX8 work through IA buttons (scene selection, turning on/off effect blocks, etc) I just can't get the FX8 to switch presets through a preset button on the MMGT.

If you have IA buttons sending PCs, those are taking precedence over the PC numbers you specify in presets. Find those IA buttons and turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on each one. That will prevent those buttons from sending messages when you change presets.

Back