(Another) Strymon Favorite Switch issue

MattRemixed

Hi there, I'm new to the PBC and the forum, but they're both great! The PBC has made my life much easier (as a guitarist with more than a few effects who also sings).

My only issue with my PBC has been that I can't seem to get the Favorite Setting on my Strymon Flint happening. I've done all that I think I need to do: Plug Flint into a Func switch on the PBC, invert the switch, turn it on and off. But I get nothing. It's not an issue with my Flint, because I can get tap tempo and favourite happening with an external switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peace

Ok, if you have confirmed that the favorite setting is working with a Favorite switch, and you're using the same TRS cable, then I can only think of a few things that could be wrong - first make sure you're using the right switch number. Switch 1 for the 1/2 jack and Switch 3 for the Switch 3/4 jack. Make sure you hear a relay click when you turn the favorite switch on and off. If you have something else you can test the function switch jack with, do that and make sure it's doing what it's supposed to. Also, switch to the other function switch jack and see if that helps.

Give that all a try and let us know what you find.

Ok, if you have confirmed that the favorite setting is working with a Favorite switch, and you're using the same TRS cable, then I can only think of a few things that could be wrong - first make sure you're using the right switch number. Switch 1 for the 1/2 jack and Switch 3 for the Switch 3/4 jack. Make sure you hear a relay click when you turn the favorite switch on and off. If you have something else you can test the function switch jack with, do that and make sure it's doing what it's supposed to. Also, switch to the other function switch jack and see if that helps.

Give that all a try and let us know what you find.

Thanks RJM for the reply.

So I've previously plugged the Flint into both Func Switch 1/2 and 3/4, and used switch 1 and 3 respectively. I've also tried switches 2 and 4 for good measure. I haven't tried it since your message, so I haven't had a chance to listen for the relay click. I'm not sure what else to test the function switches with, since I don't have any multi-channel amps. Is there anything I can use a function switch for on a TimeLine or a PitchFactor?

Peace

I use my Func Switch 1 to Tap Tempo my Strymon Brigadier and you can also go into the EXP jack on the Strymon Timeline if you have it set to TAP in your TL settings to test your Func Switch tapping. Works amazing for me. I use Func Switch 3 to engage the Favorite setting on my Brigadier too. I definitely hear a relay click for both Func Switches and use TRS cables.

Hi Paul, thanks for that. Unfortunately I'm not getting anything from the function switches, even when plugged into either my PitchFactor or TimeLine (I can get these happening with other external switches). I'm concerned now that maybe it's a hardware issue, which will suck because I live in Australia...

Just for good measure, here's my .rjs file, in case I've done something foolish.

Peace

Attachments

• RJM PBC Settings.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Hmmmm strange. So assuming you're engaging the Favorite Switch with Func 1 on the 3rd Page... your settings look real similar to mine and might indeed be a hardware issue with the relay. But Ron will certainly have better insight into that than me. Sorry for the issues man

Do you have a multimeter? A meter set to measure resistance would give us a definitive answer - with a cable plugged into one of the function switch jacks, measure between tip and sleeve or ring and sleeve. When the function switch is on it should measure around 0 ohms, when the function switch is off it should measure as an open circuit.

Will check this ASAP. I am living in temp accommodation at the moment, with a lot of my belongings in storage. Hopefully my multimeter is around somewhere.

Just found my multimeter and did the test you suggested. The circuit is open the whole time, regardless of the whether the switch is on or off.

Not sure if this is relevant at all (electronics know-nothing...), but if I measure tip-tip, or ring-ring, or sleeve-sleeve, I get a closed circuit.

Ok, that may well be a bad relay... I did forgot to ask one thing, though - do the indicators in the main display turn on when you attempt to turn on the function switches?

Ok, that may well be a bad relay... I did forgot to ask one thing, though - do the indicators in the main display turn on when you attempt to turn on the function switches?

Yep, there's no problem there, the indicators turn on and off fine.

Did you test both function switch jacks with a multimeter? If so, and none of them register closed, then we're going to have to do a repair. We have a couple of options that don't involve you sending it all the way back to us. Please email support at rjmmusic.com and we'll work out the details.

Back