Any way to upgrade the 7 pin DIN socket to a 7 Pin XLR Socket?

John Sheehan

GT16: You don't know if you dont ask.

I've always considered the DIN socket a bit too consumerish for such a high quality board. I wonder whether it's an option to upgrade the DIN socket(s) to 7 pin XLR as a more robust gig worthy modification? Any input would be appreciated!

We use 6-pin XLRs on the GT/22, and all models have the circuitry needed to drive the connector. They just don't have the connector. We don't have the facilities to do it, but if you could get a metal shop to put the correct size holes in the case, we could sell you the cable assembly that screws into the chassis and connects to the circuit board.

Don't discount the venerable DIN connector! They have a very good track record of durability, I don't think I've replaced more than 5 of them in 20 years.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess if I want to proceed, I'd also have to modify the RJM splitter box/power supply as well. Time to digest it all and will come back to RJM later down the road. Thanks again! Very helpful.

Don't discount the venerable DIN connector! They have a very good track record of durability, I don't think I've replaced more than 5 of them in 20 years.
Agreed it’s pretty solid and I think that fact that you just set it up and leave it probably accounts for some of the stability. It’s not like it‘s a guitar or mic cable that‘s getting moved around. Plug it in at the beginning of the night unplug it at the end, that’s the extent of the wear and tear. If you’re worried about it shifting or getting moved inadvertently, tape it down.

We use 6-pin XLRs on the GT/22, and all models have the circuitry needed to drive the connector. They just don't have the connector. We don't have the facilities to do it, but if you could get a metal shop to put the correct size holes in the case, we could sell you the cable assembly that screws into the chassis and connects to the circuit board.

100% agree on this. DIN connectors are quite durable. That said, I'm always messing with my gear to optimize for functionality on reliability. I'm a born gear-modder nerd :)

Until pretty recently, I used a 7-pin MIDI cable to connect between my rack and MMGT16 on my pedalboard. To simplify setup, there was a small box under the board. I soldered up a short whip with a right-angle 7-pin MIDI plug on one end, and 7-pin MIDI jack on the other. The box houses the jack, and the other end is routed to the MMGT itself and plugged in. This serves two handy functions: (1) it protects the actual MMGT connector, as it's completely out of the way, and (2) means there is no wear on the MMGT MIDI jack, as it's never unplugged. I have a similar arrangement on the back of my rack, so that I connect the 7-pin MIDI cable to a jack on a patch panel. No wear on the equipment connectors, and it makes connections super convenient.

While this addressed the connectivity points on the rack and pedalboard, I was still having to deal with a 7-pin MIDI cable. As you probably know, those aren't widely available in retail stores, so if you better carry a backup when you're gigging (this will also be true for a 6-pin XLR). Also, a good 7-pin MIDI cable is not a cheap item; I made my own cables, and it was about $40 for the parts to build each of mine. So I would always be super careful about routing that cable around high-traffic areas onstage, and taping it down to minimize tripping.

About six months ago, I decided to give Widi (wireless bluetooth MIDI) a try. I bought a pair of WIDI Master Bluetooth MIDI devices. One set is installed in my AxeFX III, and the other in my MMGT. So I no longer need a physical cable of any kind between the rack and the pedal, and it's been remarkably stable - out to more than 50 feet. Now I don't need that 7-pin MIDI cable at all; however, the MMGT was formerly getting phantom power via that cable. So I put the AC adaptor under the pedalboard, and installed a Neutrik PowerCon "IN" jack on the side of the board. This way all I need to do for setup is supply power to the board, and it automatically pairs to the rack with nearly zero latency. I've been quite impressed with reliability of this new setup. I do carry a standard 5-pin MIDI cable in my stage box; in the event of Widi failure / emergency, I could quickly connect the MMGT MIDI OUT to the MIDI in on the AxeFX III. So far, I've done dozens of gigs and rehearsals, and it's been flawless.

Back