Anyone have a Mesa Mk5, Recto, etc. that doesn't work w/ RJM

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Every once in a while, we come across a Mark V, Rectifier, Road King or Roadster that doesn't work correctly with our Amp Gizmo. The symptom is that the amp will sometimes switch between two channels very rapidly. Most of the time, we can fix it by replacing the cable, but the same cable that was causing the problem will work fine with other Mesas. There must be some variance in the amps and in the cables themselves that causes the problem to happen with the right (or wrong) combination.

Every time this has happened, the amp was far away so I couldn't test it for myself and get to the bottom of the problem. It's a long shot, but t was wondering if anyone in the US has one of these amps that exhibits this problem. I'd love to either rent or buy the amp so I can finally figure it out. If you have an amp like this, please let me know!

Re: Anyone have a Mesa Mk5, Recto, etc. that doesn't work w/

I recently bought a used Mini Amp Gizmo that was being used with a Mesa Boogie amp that I didn't have. I think it was a Roadster. Anyway I bought a Mark V cable for it and reset everything according to the MAG manual. I got the symptom you're talking about but I found out it was because Line 6 uses CC 89 and 90 to transmit Tap Tempo. These are the same CCs the MAG is using to switch 2 of the channels. So I change the CC range in the MAG so they wouldn't be triggered by the Line 6 X3 Live Tap Tempo.

This might be misrelated to the problem you're having and in that case feel free to delete it.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: Anyone have a Mesa Mk5, Recto, etc. that doesn't work w/

Thanks, it's probably not the same issue the others were seeing, but I would not be surprised if others have run into the same issue as you have.

Every once in a while, we come across a Mark V, Rectifier, Road King or Roadster that doesn't work correctly with our Amp Gizmo. The symptom is that the amp will sometimes switch between two channels very rapidly. Most of the time, we can fix it by replacing the cable, but the same cable that was causing the problem will work fine with other Mesas. There must be some variance in the amps and in the cables themselves that causes the problem to happen with the right (or wrong) combination.

Every time this has happened, the amp was far away so I couldn't test it for myself and get to the bottom of the problem. It's a long shot, but t was wondering if anyone in the US has one of these amps that exhibits this problem. I'd love to either rent or buy the amp so I can finally figure it out. If you have an amp like this, please let me know!
Hi, I am also experiencing this and have tried two different cables.
Unfortunately my Roadster is getting stuck when selecting channel 3 - looks like it's switching between channel 3 and 4 very quickly.
All of the other functions seem to be working.
Wondering if there is a solution to this issue please?

I recently decided to resurrect my old G-System and Amp Gizmo in a rack with some other pedals (some midi, some not) to run a Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 that has 4 amp channels. I set up the G-System to send midi PCs (1 to 4) telling the Gizmo to change states (specifically amp channels 1-4) when I tapped a preset foot switch defined accordingly. The Amp Gizmo, Roadster, G-System, TC Nova drive and an EHX HOG2 are on one midi loop that ties from the G-System to my Windows 10 laptop via USB. The G-System and Gizmo are on midi channel 1, the Nova Drive on Channel 2 and the HOG2 on Channel 5.

I thought I had all the connections worked out, but was puzzled when the Gizmo started changing channels without anything being touched, apparently like your situation. However, I quickly realized that the gremlin wasn’t in the rack, it was in the PC (my laptop!) - namely, the Vyzor editing software for the G-System was talking to the G-System apparently sending midi PCs that coincidentally told the Gizmo (on the same midi channel) to change amp channels. When I closed Vyzor, the amp channel jumping stopped.

I hadn’t expected that because Vyzor for the most part does not edit presets in the G-System in real time - You have to import the preset file, edit and save it and then sync with the G-System for the changes to take effect. However, I’ve noticed that the Nova Drive, which is integrated into the G-System presets when it is present, does update in real time - you can be looking at a preset on the PC, change a preset on the Nova drive by hand, and the change is reflected immediately in Vyzor.

So, just be aware!

Back