Anyone Using Expression Pedal with Boost as Volume Pedal?

rlhinc

I'm designing a new 2-part board; Controller board with (probably) one of the Mastermind GTs and expression pedals, and an 'Effects Board' with all the effects pedals. I really don't want any audio going from Controller Board to Effects board, but don't have room on the effects board for a volume pedal.

I've heard of folks using a MIDI expression pedal to send 'expression MIDI' to a MIDI Boost pedal, that MIDI expression data used just to control the amount of boost. Hence, using the MIDI boost as a volume pedal.

Or, I suppose I could try to find a good Boost pedal that offers expression control without MIDI?

But, either way, does anyone have any experience doing this, or anyone with a comment or some insight into the wisdom of doing this?

Thanks to all in advance!

Last edited:
It's definitely a viable approach. You don't necessarily need a pedal with a boost feature, just one with MIDI capabilities and an adjustable output level. Actually, adjusting output level is much better than boost, because boost can only make the sound louder, where output level can go from 0 to 100% volume.

Our Overture pedal can definitely do the job, and there are a small number of others, such as pedals by Chase Bliss.

Back