Axe-FX 3 : Resetting IA Cycle Steps & Scenes

Natty84

I've had the Axe-Fx 3 and LT for a couple of months now. I'm still nailing down the workflow however controlling the Axe with the LT in live environments has been great and pretty much seamless. There's a couple of smaller issues I'm trying to work through and haven't been able to figure out a solution yet. Hopefully someone can shed some light on these.

I'm connecting the Axe through the RJM powered midi box to the LT controller with a 7 pin midi cable. I've got bidirectional communication happening (tuner, fetch and update scene name, etc) and have no issue with things not working as expected.

1. Resetting IA Steps & Scenes: I use the first page with IA buttons to recall Scenes 1-8 plus one other for extra modulation/special effects options. For Lead, Ambient, and Modulation sounds I have 2-3 different options on their own IA buttons which I access via IA Cycle Steps.

Basic functionality is as expected - if I hit the Lead IA button, Lead 1 Scene loads, hit it again, Lead 2 Scene loads, etc. The issue is ... if I go from 'Lead 1' to another Scene (e.g. Clean Scene) the sound changes as expected however the Lead IA button will stay on the 'Lead 1' cycle step (the LED colour won't change nor will the step position reset). If I want to go back to 'Lead 1', I have to cycle through 'Lead 2', None, and then back to 'Lead 1'. Same with the ambient and modulation steps - the only way to get back to the first step is to cycle through all the options - which is not efficient and counterproductive.

My goal is to replicate what I can do on the PBC6 with my pedalboard + amp rig. The IA Cycle Steps reset whenever I change preset so I'm back on the first step whenever I go to one of those buttons. So I wonder... is there a way on the LT to reset the cycle steps on Scene change like how I use it with the PBC6? Or a workaround to achieve the same outcome?

2. Sync Active/Bypass State of Effect Blocks: I saw on one of Ron's earlier videos the LT can sync up with the active/bypass state of effect blocks with IA buttons (the video was with Axefx 2). E.g. When Chorus 1 is engaged on the Axe then the IA button I have mapped to Chorus 1 will show the active state which can then be toggled on/off in sync.

I haven't been able to get this working with the Axe 3 + LT combo. Is this functionality still supported? At the moment if the block is active and I want to bypass it I need to hit the IA button twice (on and then off).

3. Flash with Tempo: I have been able to set up a Tap Tempo IA button to change tempo on the Axe however I'm not able to get the flash with tempo working. Is this functionality still possible?

For the first issue, make sure the buttons are grouped together (have the same group number) and you're running the latest firmware

For the second, make sure your IA buttons have send on preset change and update on preset change turned off. That allows the Axe-Fx to control the state of those buttons.

For the third, make sure the button has update on preset change turned off, flash w/ tempo turned on, and Send Realtime Sysex turned on in the Axe-Fx.

Awesome - thanks Ron!

1. Solved! Thanks!

2. I've double-checked these settings and made sure I had the correct CC Actions however it's still not showing the correct active/bypass state. For blocks that are bypassed a single hit will turn them on however for blocks that are already engaged, it will take two taps to turn them off. I get real-time updates on the LT when I change presets on the Axe-Fx so this is probably something wrong with my LT settings?

3. Made sure these settings are correct however still not getting any LED flashes with tempo. It changes the tempo on the Axe so it's working just not getting any visual feedback (which isn't a real issue... just a nice to have)

If it's helpful I've attached the LT settings file.

Attachments

• LT-Master.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I will have to look into the second issue further, but for the tempo, change the button's on color or off color. The button flashes by switching between the on color and off color. You have them both set to white, so the flashing is not visible.

Understood - thanks Ron.

I realised from your comment about the LED colour settings that I had two tempo IA buttons set up on different pages (dedicated delay page and the 'pedalboard effects' page). I've removed one of them and will test that out tonight. Would there be a possible conflict in having multiple tempo buttons across pages?

There should be no problem at all - you can have as many tempo buttons as you like.

Circling back on the above. I've kept only one Tempo button and changed the LED colours - on (white) off (black). The same behaviour is present - LED won't flash with tempo however it does send the correct bpm to the Axe.

I checked here and it is doing what you're saying. I'll have to look into it, I'm not sure why it's happening.

Hi Ron - curious if there was any progress on getting tempo flashing and syncing the active/bypass status of blocks on the LT.

I've just started work on 4.6.2 last Friday. I have a bunch of fixes to put in, but this will be one of them.

Ok, here are your answers:

The tempo LED will only flash if MIDI Clock is set to Off (in the LT). If MIDI clock is not off, then then Axe-Fx isn't in charge of tempo anymore so its tempo flashes aren't really relevant. The LT will only flash the LED in response to its own internally generated tempo. Turn off MIDI clock and the LED will start flashing.

IA Link needs to be turned on for all buttons that are linked to Axe-Fx effect blocks. I thought that turning off "Update on Preset Change" would do it, and that's true on the Mastermind GT, but not on the PBC & LT. This is something I need to work through, but for now turning on IA Link will do it.

Ok, here are your answers:

The tempo LED will only flash if MIDI Clock is set to Off (in the LT). If MIDI clock is not off, then then Axe-Fx isn't in charge of tempo anymore so its tempo flashes aren't really relevant. The LT will only flash the LED in response to its own internally generated tempo. Turn off MIDI clock and the LED will start flashing.

IA Link needs to be turned on for all buttons that are linked to Axe-Fx effect blocks. I thought that turning off "Update on Preset Change" would do it, and that's true on the Mastermind GT, but not on the PBC & LT. This is something I need to work through, but for now turning on IA Link will do it.

Ron, a delayed loop back to this but I wanted to confirm that the new firmware (4.7) does correctly reflect the bypass/engage state for effect blocks and the tap tempo LED also flashes in sync with tempo.

Thanks for the great work you've put into this and making our gigging/working life so much simpler!

Ron, a delayed loop back to this but I wanted to confirm that the new firmware (4.7) does correctly reflect the bypass/engage state for effect blocks and the tap tempo LED also flashes in sync with tempo.

Thanks for the great work you've put into this and making our gigging/working life so much simpler!
Great, glad to hear it!

I'm connecting the Axe through the RJM powered midi box to the LT controller with a 7 pin midi cable. I've got bidirectional communication happening (tuner, fetch and update scene name, etc) and have no issue with things not working as expected.
Can you explain how you enabled bidirectional communication, especially the tuner?

Back