Axe FX III - Tuner & Blocks

kirkbowman

I am trying to setup a couple of things with a Mastermind LT and Axe FX III.

1. How can I get the tuner from the Axe FX to display on the Mastermind screen?

2. How can I setup a button on the Mastermind to toggle on/off when changing presets on the Axe FX?

I am trying to setup a couple of things with a Mastermind LT and Axe FX III.

1. How can I get the tuner from the Axe FX to display on the Mastermind screen?

2. How can I setup a button on the Mastermind to toggle on/off when changing presets on the Axe FX?
1. Set up an IA button: in the Buttons tab, right-click on a button, select Assign CC > Axe-Fx III > Tuner

2. If you mean you want to be able to store a button's state for each preset and have it turn on or off as desired, turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on the button. This video describes those IA button options and more:
IA Button Options

1. Works to activate the Tuner. Once the tuner is ON, how can I get the tuner display (sharp/flat) on the Mastermind LT screen?

2. I already have buttons setup to turn several blocks ON/OFF. How can I, while changing presets via the Axe FX or Mastermind LT, have the button states update accordingly?

Check the tuner button, make sure that it has a System / Tuner action on the button. If it doesn't, add it. (Don't delete the existing action(s))

You have to decide whether the GT buttons are in charge of the effect blocks or the Axe-Fx is in charge of them. If you want the buttons to automatically follow the states of the effect blocks in the Axe-Fx, turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on those buttons. Also, in Devices, turn on Poll State and turn off Ignore Incoming CC.

1. Adding a System/Tuner action worked. Thank you!

2. The Axe FX should be in charge. Setup an IA button on the LT for Comp1 block. Confirmed the settings recommended above (see screen shots). When switching Axe FX presets, the button state does NOT update.

Attachments

• comp1-button.png
    comp1-button.png
    90 KB · Views: 7
  • axe-fx-device.png
    axe-fx-device.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 6
  • midi-settings.png
    midi-settings.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
Make sure you have communication working in both directions. Is the tuner display working 100% on the LT? Is it displaying the right note name?

Yes, confirmed the tuner is displaying the correct note name. Is there another setting I need to check on the Mastermind LT or the Axe FX III?

Does the button control the Comp1 block when pressed? Also, make sure that Max Page in Globals is set to the highest button page number you're using.

Yes, confirmed the button does turn Comp1 block ON and OFF when pressed. Max Page is set to 3. The Comp1 button is on Page 2.

I created a new "rjs" file from scratch. Added the Axe FX III as a device, and edited a button on Page 2 to turn the Comp On/Off. I confirmed the settings from above. The button state does not update when changing presets on the Axe FX.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Please send me your settings file so I can test it here.

It looks like the stuff you have in the hold functions of those buttons is interfering with the main LED settings. Without the hold function, it works fine. I'll need to look into this, it definitely shouldn't do that.

I wonder if there is also something wrong with my setup. I created a brand new "rjs" file and button states are still not updating. I have attached the new file.

Attachments

• Axe-FX-III-NEW.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Today I tried the following:

1. Performed a factory reset on the Mastermind LT.
2. Setup the LT and Axe FX settings per the instructions on this page.
3. Setup a button to turn On/Off the tuner on the Axe FX.
4. Setup an IA button to turn On/Off the Comp1 block.
- Send On Preset Change = off
- Update State On Preset Change = off

The tuner works as expected. The Comp 1 button does not update its state when changing presets using the LT. Note, tried it with Bidirectional MIDI on and off. The settings file is attached.

Attachments

• Axe-FX-III-after-reset.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
In the case of the most recent file, you need to turn on IA Link on the Compress button.

I'm looking into the case with the IA cycle button now.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like turning on IA Link on the buttons fixes it in all cases. Sorry I missed that before.

Last edited:
Thank you. I can confirm turning on IA Link worked for the button to Engage/Bypass the block. It also worked to keep the active channel in sync via the Hold function.

Curious, what is the difference between IA Link and CC Link?

Back